Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Mar 13, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #8,701 of 9,829
Posted this a little while ago in the portable rigs thread but forgot to post here. The Sony NW-A105 is a great little DAP pairing for Andromeda S. No hiss whatsoever and the Andromeda’s sound perfectly balanced. Using the Solaris Super Litz cable.
11EF29E1-36FB-4B04-BC86-8EB3DC010243.jpeg

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #8,703 of 9,829
I get quite a bit of hiss from them when I plugged them into my Chord Mojo (not unlike people's experiences in the standard, green Andro thread) – granted, Mojo's hiss is fairly faint and largely (if not completely) inaudible when music is playing.
- Cozoy Rei = ZERO hiss, AMAZING PAIRING
- HA-2SE = very minimal hiss, maybe at 1/5 of the level of the Mojo's hiss
- EarStudio ES100 MK2 = extremely minimal hiss, maybe at 1/10 of the level of the Mojo's hiss (note: my family hates me for my extremely sensitive ears, can literally hear like a hawk, would bet most of you couldn't even hear this).
- MacBook Pro 2018 15" headphone port = ZERO hiss, color me impressed
- Lightning-to-3.5mm dongle = extremely minimal hiss, maybe at 1/10 of the level of the Mojo's hiss
I love the sound my Mojo puts out, and was super dismayed to discover the hiss when I got my Andromeda Gold. It's a shame that an otherwise stellar little DAC can't pair well with the Andromedia! It's a shame the Cozoy Rei is no longer manufactured - has anyone tried the TAKT as their newer offering with the Andromeda?

Someone mentioned to me the Chord Hugo didn't have the hiss of the Mojo, but retained its wonderful analog-like feel. That's a lustworthy combo, but 2.5k seems to steep for a DAC for my wallet.

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #8,704 of 9,829
I love the sound my Mojo puts out, and was super dismayed to discover the hiss when I got my Andromeda Gold. It's a shame that an otherwise stellar little DAC can't pair well with the Andromedia! It's a shame the Cozoy Rei is no longer manufactured - has anyone tried the TAKT as their newer offering with the Andromeda?

Someone mentioned to me the Chord Hugo didn't have the hiss of the Mojo, but retained its wonderful analog-like feel. That's a lustworthy combo, but 2.5k seems to steep for a DAC for my wallet.

Unfortunately Hugo / Hugo 2 still hisses just a little bit better than Mojo. The sources I've tried that doesn't hiss with Andromeda whatsoever is FiiO BTR5 (too "glarey" to me in the upper registers), iPod Touch 6G/7G (can be harsh in the upper mids on some tracks) and A&Ultima SP2000 (sounds like a blend of Hugo 2 and Mojo without their Achilles heel)

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #8,705 of 9,829
Unfortunately Hugo / Hugo 2 still hisses just a little bit better than Mojo. The sources I've tried that doesn't hiss with Andromeda whatsoever is FiiO BTR5 (too "glarey" to me in the upper registers), iPod Touch 6G/7G (can be harsh in the upper mids on some tracks) and A&Ultima SP2000 (sounds like a blend of Hugo 2 and Mojo without their Achilles heel)
Oh man, the SP2000 is even more money than the Hugo2! I have a BTR5 that I mostly use for bluetooth, and the Andromeda sounds hollow over AAC bluetooth so I hadn't experimented further. I'll have to give it a shot in USB mode and see if it can satisfy me.

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #8,706 of 9,829
Oh man, the SP2000 is even more money than the Hugo2! I have a BTR5 that I mostly use for bluetooth, and the Andromeda sounds hollow over AAC bluetooth so I hadn't experimented further. I'll have to give it a shot in USB mode and see if it can satisfy me.

If you're using the BTR5, I recommend the 2.5mm balanced with the Andromeda. IMO, the BT receiver from BTR5 isn't as good as the Radsone ES100 and with the USB mode, you should get a much fuller sound :)

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #8,707 of 9,829
If you're using the BTR5, I recommend the 2.5mm balanced with the Andromeda. IMO, the BT receiver from BTR5 isn't as good as the Radsone ES100 and with the USB mode, you should get a much fuller sound :)
I just tried both the BTR5 and the ES100 in USB mode. To my ears the ES100 was a little more full. It's not as laid back and detailed as the Mojo, the hiss is dramatically less noticeable and wouldn't bother for long listening sessions. You're totally right that the BTR5 has zero hiss at all - it's kind of amazing such a cheap unit can have such an inky background. The sound isn't as detailed or rich as I'd like though - I'll have to experiment with balanced cables next to see if that sways my preferences.

Mar 15, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #8,708 of 9,829
Calling all DX160 owners with andros.I am currently using the andromeda green with ibasso dx160 using a 4.4mm mixed copper silver cable from electro acousti. And I find the tuning to be slightly less sparkly than I am used to with the andromeda. This probably has to do with the output impadance of the dx160 (0.4ohms in 4.4mm jack). Is there any way I can solve this? I know that there is the iematch but it only comes in 2.5mm and I would have to use 3 adapters for that to work with 4.4mm.

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #8,711 of 9,829
Just purchased a pair of used 2017 Andromedas for €530 (at that price, it's a total bargain).
IMG_5532.jpg

The paint is a bit worn down especially at the edges but as long as it works and sounds incredible, I can accept a few blemishes.

I'm pairing it with a Fiio LC-4-4C balanced cables because I didn't like the memory wire of the stock cable. The dap is a Fiio M11 and I could hear a slight hiss from the 4.4mm output but it's quite low and not intrusive at all.

Tips are the Fiio small vocal tips that came with my FA7 which I think are Final Type E eartips. The green ring is part of an old eartip stem that I cut and put over the stem so that I have a more secure fit.
I tried all other eartips that came in the box (Spinfits and Campfire Silicones), except for the foam tips, but I don't like the thin silicone of the Spinfits and the shallow insertion of the stock silicone ones. The current tips I'm using is perfect for me comfort wise.

Maybe I should try having custom eartips next. Does the sound change a lot using custom tips such as the Ambient Acoustics custom silicone ear tips?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #8,712 of 9,829
Just purchased a pair of used 2017 Andromedas for €530 (at that price, it's a total bargain).

The paint is a bit worn down especially at the edges but as long as it works and sounds incredible, I can accept a few blemishes.

Maybe I should try having custom eartips next. Does the sound change a lot using custom tips such as the Ambient Acoustics custom silicone ear tips?
Congrats on the new-to-you Andromedas!

Any headphone will benefit from a custom tip - the isolation and seal alone are helpful in boosting clarity and bass. I use ADV-customs on several of my IEMs. I like their soft silicone, it's more comfortable than some of the harder ones I've tried.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #8,713 of 9,829
Congrats on the new-to-you Andromedas!

Any headphone will benefit from a custom tip - the isolation and seal alone are helpful in boosting clarity and bass. I use ADV-customs on several of my IEMs. I like their soft silicone, it's more comfortable than some of the harder ones I've tried.
I agree the ADV tips are extremely comfortable and improve the sound. I have them for all my CA IEMs.

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #8,714 of 9,829
Probably not relevant as it isn't strictly playing in the same bracket, but comparisons to the Westone UM Pro 50 would be really interesting for me. Would love to know how something people seem to think is so beautifully tuned differs from a similar 5 BA setup?

I'm sorry to Quote old post for you to ask, but I really want to know how does the Andromeda and M11 combination in terms of sound quality and hissing.

thank you and sorry again.

Mar 23, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #8,715 of 9,829
I'm sorry to Quote old post for you to ask, but I really want to know how does the Andromeda and M11 combination in terms of sound quality and hissing.

thank you and sorry again.

Hi - don't have the Andro any more, so I can't help you on that one unfortunately. I don't find the housing particularly noticeable on the M11 / Solaris pairing, if that's any help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back