Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Apr 6, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #8,732 of 9,829
Anyone has some experience to share about Andro + pure silver cable from Alo?
Thanks
It's been a while since I tested this combo and had to go back and look thru my notes.

In my case I was using balanced versions of all cables and found in order of ranking:

1) SXC-8
2) Ref-8
3) Silver Litz

I preferred the Ref-8 over the silver in that I perceived that it had better imaging and a wider soundstage. When I stepped up to the SXC-8 the bass and details improved more than the Ref-8. This was mainly using Hi-res files on a Sony WM1A.

What source DAP are you using and what is the sound signature you prefer? Warm/analog or Crisp/detailed? I'm warm/analog.

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #8,733 of 9,829
Anyone has some experience to share about Andro + pure silver cable from Alo?
Thanks

I don't typically describe differences in cables, however I surprisingly noticed a difference with the pure silver cable. I hated it. Not sure if pure silver just has some sonic changes that are atypical of cables, but it brightened up the sound signature of my Andro and zx300 combo to the point I wouldn't even listen to it anymore. Perhaps with different DAP pairings it could be made to work, but it did not have good synergy with my system. Much preferred the stock silver plated copper cable and pure copper cable I have.

If you prefer a brighter signature or are using a pretty warm sounding source, I could see it working perhaps.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #8,734 of 9,829
Gold 16 cable arrived on Monday.

I hear a lift in bass and it adds an overall warmth to the sound signature. It improves that boxy sounding BA mid-bass punch. Mids sound great as usual for the Andro S. Maybe a little more resolved but not super noticeable.

Treble loses a little bit of sparkle. Not an issue for me personally, but it might not be ideal for others.

The sound stage is a little bit wider.

It does look pretty, and It's comfortable. I'm pretty happy overall with my purchase however I certainly wouldn't pay full price (RRP here in Australia is AU$1,999)
27B93A8A-E2BB-455A-AC90-5E1FA5333806.jpeg

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #8,735 of 9,829
Sad day for me..... Last year my daughter drafted my green andromeda V2 when she went to school and has been her defacto IEM ever since. And she just lost the right piece on a bus today...... Ah well, she will have to downgrade to my everyday Audiosense T800 then..... No way I am parting with my Andro S or Andro Gold.........

Painful......... I loved my collection of Andromedas and the green andro V2 was what got me into it......:dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #8,736 of 9,829
My andromeda arrived. I really like them. The treble sparkle is a thing of wonder

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #8,737 of 9,829
Hey Folks,

Can anyone recommend a good but not too expensive 4.4mm cable for the Andro? Would love one with a right angle connector, but it’s not necessar.

Another question, any suggestions for a good complimentary IEM for the Andro? Looking for something maybe a bit more fun, more bass.

thanks.

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #8,738 of 9,829
Hey Folks,

Can anyone recommend a good but not too expensive 4.4mm cable for the Andro? Would love one with a right angle connector, but it’s not necessar.

Another question, any suggestions for a good complimentary IEM for the Andro? Looking for something maybe a bit more fun, more bass.

thanks.
Ref8 or SXC-8 cables.

Atlas complements the Andromeda

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #8,739 of 9,829
I don't typically describe differences in cables, however I surprisingly noticed a difference with the pure silver cable. I hated it. Not sure if pure silver just has some sonic changes that are atypical of cables, but it brightened up the sound signature of my Andro and zx300 combo to the point I wouldn't even listen to it anymore. Perhaps with different DAP pairings it could be made to work, but it did not have good synergy with my system. Much preferred the stock silver plated copper cable and pure copper cable I have.

If you prefer a brighter signature or are using a pretty warm sounding source, I could see it working perhaps.

Same boat here. I don't typically notice/describe any differences in cables but when I tried the pure silver cable with my Solaris SE it made them bright to the point that I couldn't listen to them for more than 10 minutes. At the time I wasn't sure if this was something to do with the cable or or with the balanced port of my n6ii but your perspective here makes me wonder if it's not the cable that's the problem.

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #8,740 of 9,829
Same boat here. I don't typically notice/describe any differences in cables but when I tried the pure silver cable with my Solaris SE it made them bright to the point that I couldn't listen to them for more than 10 minutes. At the time I wasn't sure if this was something to do with the cable or or with the balanced port of my n6ii but your perspective here makes me wonder if it's not the cable that's the problem.
I'm using the DHC Clone Silver balanced with the Solaris SE and find that that combo shows everything and I mean everything coming from the DAP. It's a resolution beast. So if the DAP has a hotter top end you will hear it from bright or harsh recordings with a silver cable. But the Clone Silver and the Andromeda Gold SE make a good match. I guess that is due to it being all balanced with no crossover.

I ended up rolling different modified tunings with my WM1Z to find the tuning that had the best balance of bass and smooth highs. There are a couple of new ones that I still need to test, so I won't recommend one right now.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #8,741 of 9,829
Hey Folks,

thanks.
I use the $80 Dunu cable with it - https://www.dunu-topsound.com/product-page/duw-02-cable . They feature a nice interchangeable tip so you can choose 3.5mm, 2.5mm, 4.4mm, etc, all with a right angle connector.

The Polaris is much more fun and bass, at the expense of detail. If you crave detail with your fun, look at the Solaris (and an empty pocketbook)

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #8,742 of 9,829
Shoutout to andromeda and dx160 owners.

Hey guys, need a quick suggestion. I found the andromeda to sound bassy and lacking sparkle with the dx160 using a mixed copper silver cable via the 4.4 output. Now i am planning to switch to another 4.4 cable.

Which one would bode better- alo ref8 or alo pure silver litz?

Please suggest. Thanks.

May 1, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #8,743 of 9,829
Shoutout to andromeda and dx160 owners.

Hey guys, need a quick suggestion. I found the andromeda to sound bassy and lacking sparkle with the dx160 using a mixed copper silver cable via the 4.4 output. Now i am planning to switch to another 4.4 cable.

Which one would bode better- alo ref8 or alo pure silver litz?

Please suggest. Thanks.

I can’t really see a huge sound signature change with swapping cables in comparison to changing the OI of an amp either through swapping amp modules, adding IE Match in 2.5 ohm setting. I prefer the sound at around 1.5 to 2.0 ohm with the Andromeda since my DAP has 1.5 ohm OI in its 3.5mm unbalanced jack

May 1, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #8,744 of 9,829
I can’t really see a huge sound signature change with swapping cables in comparison to changing the OI of an amp either through swapping amp modules, adding IE Match in 2.5 ohm setting. I prefer the sound at around 1.5 to 2.0 ohm with the Andromeda since my DAP has 1.5 ohm OI in its 3.5mm unbalanced jack
I understand that. But dx160 has 4.4mm out but the iematch doesnt come in 4.4mm. Id Have to add multiple converters

May 6, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #8,745 of 9,829
Sad day for me..... Last year my daughter drafted my green andromeda V2 when she went to school and has been her defacto IEM ever since. And she just lost the right piece on a bus today...... Ah well, she will have to downgrade to my everyday Audiosense T800 then..... No way I am parting with my Andro S or Andro Gold.........

Painful......... I loved my collection of Andromedas and the green andro V2 was what got me into it......:dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:
You need to add the MW10 to your Andromeda collection too. I feel it is the best Andromeda ever. :beyersmile:

11077620.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back