Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #7,561 of 9,829
Do people think the Andromeda OG excels at classical (say, orchestral recordings by Karajan/Bernstein and piano recordings by Pollini) or would the FR of the Gold Edition indicate that one is better? I missed out on the S version but heard good things about it!

I come from the Westone UM Pro 50 (still using it) and love the warmth it has, which is relaxing for things like strings and piano, but the rolled off treble and limited soundstage somewhat bother me. From what I've heard, the Andromeda seems to have a great instrument separation and a big soundstage (my HD 800 S spoils me), but I don't know if the Gold version is taking things more in that direction.

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #7,562 of 9,829
I thought the original Andromeda (including all variants) had no crossover either.......
They don't, they use an acoustically tuned chamber.

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #7,563 of 9,829

If you can't see the embedded video above, please click here.

Campfire Audio Andromeda Gold Review & Measurements - Head-Fi TV

The Campfire Audio Andromeda Special Edition Gold could just as easily been given a completely new name, because it's both an Andromeda and something new. We gave it a look, listen, and we measured it.

Campfire Audio Andromeda Gold Review & Measurements - Produced by Brian Murphy, Joe Cwik, and Jude Mansilla

The measurements included in this video were made using:

Nice.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #7,564 of 9,829
God damnit. I'm so torn now. I have Andros 2019. Was going to pick up the z1rs sometime in the next few weeks. Now this so called gold gold edition....I wish I could try before buying here but we can only try non LE stuff :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #7,567 of 9,829
Aug 11, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #7,568 of 9,829
Hm, could it be that v3 sounds different? This review and the WhatHiFi did reviews about the v3 version. Haven’t really see bad reviews about the v2 and earlier...

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #7,569 of 9,829
Aug 11, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #7,570 of 9,829
The review read like a plug for the Fender Thirteen 6. Drivel..."expensive" was listed as a "Con" and they proceeded to compare the Andromeda to the $1800 Thirteen 6. They need an editor.
"There’s also an amusingly tiny brush for cleaning them." - I had to force myself to continue reading the review after that one liner.

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #7,571 of 9,829
"There’s also an amusingly tiny brush for cleaning them." - I had to force myself to continue reading the review after that one liner.

Really. Very witty fellows. "Trusted," by whom.

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #7,572 of 9,829
Hm, could it be that v3 sounds different? This review and the WhatHiFi did reviews about the v3 version. Haven’t really see bad reviews about the v2 and earlier...

The Trustedreviews writer appears to have written/worked for WhatHifi before also.

Two Reviews, One unit? Who knows.

Beyonce? Check.
What dap? Probably a phone. Tips? Files or strictly streaming?

Regardless.
Heavy on packaging and specs and thin on the sound section.

My favorite was “Build quality is excellent. That industrial look gives the firm impression they’d be able to withstand a few knocks. Nevertheless you wouldn’t want to take that risk with an in-ear this expensive. ....... I’ve had to unbunch them more than a few times after chucking them into a pocket”

I suspect the review was done with a cellphone - android or Apple streaming music of an unknown bitrate.

So many questions. I also enjoy some lifestyle or very unique photos that show they actually had the product too. But i will give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

Anyway the review like the earlier WhatHifi doesnt match my experience with either the V1 or V3 Andro.

I do enjoy WhatHifi articles on home systems though.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #7,573 of 9,829
Alright guys, need some recent opinions if possible. Long story short, I've just purchased the Andromedas (latest version 3) for the THIRD time, and I'd like some input on pairing.

Last time I grabbed a ZX300 and Sony Balanced cable, problem is I'm 100% devoted to streaming Tidal HiFi, so I was using the ZX300 strictly in DAC mode from my MacBook Pro. I also had a fair amount of trouble with connection issues on my laptop, so much so that I ended up using the CCK on my iPhone.

Not sure I want to go down that rode again just yet, so beyond running the dongle and my iPhone XS Max, what's some other reasonable suggestions? I'd like to keep cost down for now. I'm down to a Schiit Fulla 2 on my desktop for time being, so I suppose I could grab IE Match and give that a whirl. I've also been reading up on the EarStudio ES100 - that a viable option? Price is certainly right.

Theres a ton of info out there regarding source/OI pairing, but hoping for some more recent suggestions!

Thanks!

Ty

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #7,574 of 9,829
20190809_132420.jpg
Any one know, why Campfire use the new cable ? for me, it really make the tuning strange...

based on my impression of the new Polaris

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #7,575 of 9,829
Alright guys, need some recent opinions if possible. Long story short, I've just purchased the Andromedas (latest version 3) for the THIRD time, and I'd like some input on pairing.

Last time I grabbed a ZX300 and Sony Balanced cable, problem is I'm 100% devoted to streaming Tidal HiFi, so I was using the ZX300 strictly in DAC mode from my MacBook Pro. I also had a fair amount of trouble with connection issues on my laptop, so much so that I ended up using the CCK on my iPhone.

Not sure I want to go down that rode again just yet, so beyond running the dongle and my iPhone XS Max, what's some other reasonable suggestions? I'd like to keep cost down for now. I'm down to a Schiit Fulla 2 on my desktop for time being, so I suppose I could grab IE Match and give that a whirl. I've also been reading up on the EarStudio ES100 - that a viable option? Price is certainly right.

Theres a ton of info out there regarding source/OI pairing, but hoping for some more recent suggestions!

Thanks!

Ty
I recently got an AK SR15 for use with the 2019 V3 of the Andro. Using single ended with the supplied smokey litz cable, I find the sound excellent. No perceivable hiss, good bass slam and vocals are very prominent in the mix. Great combo and highly recommended.

Also find the Apple dongle drives the Andromeda’s really well too, believe it or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back