Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 10, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #7,548 of 9,829
I'm glad someone else finally mentioned it! Multi-BA with no X-Over.... anyone else doing it?

Edit: @crinacle informed me that KZ has a no x-over ba design. Im looking at their lineup trying to figure out which one though.
kz zs5. The one i really like from Kz. The soundstage and separation is out of the world for its price.

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #7,549 of 9,829
I'm glad someone else finally mentioned it! Multi-BA with no X-Over.... anyone else doing it?

Edit: @crinacle informed me that KZ has a no x-over ba design. Im looking at their lineup trying to figure out which one though.
IMR has no crossover, Sony does no crossover as well. I'm sure there are others. I had not heard about the KZ. Interesting.

Aug 10, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #7,551 of 9,829
Just bought Comet because the deal is just too good. Will give my impression whenever i got it. I think it's a capable iem and i can play around with eq.

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #7,553 of 9,829
The Comet’s have really nice bass in my opinion (for a single BA). I had a pair for some time and would’ve kept them but just couldn’t get a good fit.
what about vocals and details tho?

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #7,554 of 9,829
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #7,555 of 9,829
Hey guys.. I am looking for a full sized can that’s similar to the Andros. I loved these so much so I am not sure where to start going full sized. I’m thinking HD600s but open to suggestions

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #7,556 of 9,829
If we're talking about the Comet, I may as well share that the cable at the MMCX connection is prone to fraying and the remote triggers when shocked by static (bad if you live in a cold dry area like me). Also, go into this post knowing that my favorite IEM around the $100-200 mark is the ER2SE, just to get an idea of my personal taste.

As for the sound, I'm not really a BA guy, but the Comet just played it too safe. It's hard to give an opinion on it because it really did nothing well in my opinion. To clarify, it doesn't do anything egregious, it's just very, very safe tuning that in my opinion rolls off a bit too early and is warm tuned, which I discovered wasn't for me (the Comet was one of my first forays into "decent" IEMs). And even then, if you like warm tuned stuff, the Final E4000 does everything the Comet does better except isolation. It's just that to me, the Comet got old very quickly because it doesn't really have any standout aspects of its tuning. The only real severe shortcomings of the Comet besides blandness are really just due to the limitations of having a single BA driver, with extension still leaving a bit to be desired and it struggling when a lot is going on in a certain track. The Orion, which rolls off very, very early, which the Comet, is at least better than the Comet to me (which is apparently a minority opinion) because the male vocals on the Orion were pretty great in my opinion. Basically, even though the Orion has a more critical flaw with itself, it also has something I can reach for and use as an example of a strength, which is very hard for me to do with the Comet. Basically, even though the Comet serves as Campfire Audio's entry into their lineup, and was also my entry into that so called 'next level', it's got a tuning that may be too unremarkable, laid back, or inoffensive for someone like me. It's a decent stepping stone to finding your desired tuning, but I wish I spent less to have that prior knowledge beforehand. I really don't like the Orion, but I'll take a strength and a flaw over no strengths at all.

If anyone has any questions I'll answer what I can but I haven't had the Comet for a while, hence the rather surface level "review" if you want to even call it that.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #7,557 of 9,829
Had the Comet, I think the Orion is better. Its tuning is unique and enjoyable enough to warrant a permanent place in my IEMs. Just very pleasant sounding and mid-centric. Not to mention super comfort because it’s only one driver.

Aug 11, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #7,559 of 9,829
Hey guys.. I am looking for a full sized can that’s similar to the Andros. I loved these so much so I am not sure where to start going full sized. I’m thinking HD600s but open to suggestions
I find the Audeze LCD-X has a similar sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back