Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 19, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #7,051 of 9,825
Sounds great! Listening now actually.

58A5C79E-89F9-4AEE-9133-6908890FB60A.jpeg

Campfire Audio Andromeda V3, JVC Spiral Dot ++ tips, Super Litz cable (4.4mm), iBasso DX220 and Amp8

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #7,054 of 9,825
Regarding the Andromeda and the Dragonfly series... Can anyone advise as to which model would be better for the Andromeda, the Black or the Red?

I’ve read the comparison reviews, and the Red certainly seems be better than the Black, but when the impedance issues of the Andromeda enter into the equation, I imagine things get rather more complicated. The Red does push quite a bit more power than the Black, after all...

Which do you guys think would play better with the Andromeda?

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #7,055 of 9,825
Regarding the Andromeda and the Dragonfly series... Can anyone advise as to which model would be better for the Andromeda, the Black or the Red?

I’ve read the comparison reviews, and the Red certainly seems be better than the Black, but when the impedance issues of the Andromeda enter into the equation, I imagine things get rather more complicated. The Red does push quite a bit more power than the Black, after all...

Which do you guys think would play better with the Andromeda?

I recently bought the Andromeda a month ago and I use it with the Red Dragonfly. It has lots of power to drive it very well. However it does result in hissing that I can hear on all tracks. The hissing was remedied by the addition of the ifi Audio IEmatch which was eliminated the hiss but the volume has to turned up a little higher.

Can’t say how much better the Red is over the Black as I don’t have the Black but Red has a better DAC and a more powerful headphone amp.

The Andromeda sounds very sweet, full, clear and a wide soundstage with the Red and IEMatch on my iPhone 8Plus - similar sounding to my HD800.

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #7,056 of 9,825
Also thinking of taking advantage of Campfire’s discounted cable deal with an IEM purchase.

What cable do you guys find best emphasizes the bass? The dealer thinks SXC 8, but Campfire says Reference 8.

I’m inclined to go with Campfire’s recommendation, but figured I’d check with the forum first...

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #7,057 of 9,825
Also thinking of taking advantage of Campfire’s discounted cable deal with an IEM purchase.

What cable do you guys find best emphasizes the bass? The dealer thinks SXC 8, but Campfire says Reference 8.

I’m inclined to go with Campfire’s recommendation, but figured I’d check with the forum first...

Hard to say. I am in the same boat. I just ordered the Sxc 8 after reading this review and the comments in the last 2 or 3 pages of this forum:

https://www.headpie.net/2018/05/alo-audio-sxc-8-vs-alo-audio-litz-cables.html?m=1

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #7,058 of 9,825
I had the SXC8 at one point and also looked into the SXC24 and Ref8, but sold the former and passed on the latter. Campfire cables are really microphonic and retain their shape too much IMO.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #7,059 of 9,825
I had the SXC8 at one point and also looked into the SXC24 and Ref8, but sold the former and passed on the latter. Campfire cables are really microphonic and retain their shape too much IMO.

What cable are you using instead ? The stock litz cable?

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #7,060 of 9,825
Hard to say. I am in the same boat. I just ordered the Sxc 8 after reading this review and the comments in the last 2 or 3 pages of this forum:

https://www.headpie.net/2018/05/alo-audio-sxc-8-vs-alo-audio-litz-cables.html?m=1

Hmm. I wouldn't trust anything that guy writes.

- Also now we have Superlitz and Atlas. Superlitz is a more lighter and manageable alternative to the SXC-8.

/ plus the new brown weave /original Litz.

*read the Atlas/Solaris and andro v1 vs v3 write ups for more CA/ALO Audio cable coverage.

Decisions decisions.

——————————-

@Peter 1964 loving the DX220.

Sound is very resolving. Fairly neutral.

Sound is dependent on which amp and earphones you use.

———————————

@Gww1 the new Spiral dots have a more solid core for the nozzles and color coded.

More mods and also better low end and more control.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #7,061 of 9,825
What cable are you using instead ? The stock litz cable?

I bought the SXC8 for my Jomo Samba CIEM. Stuck with the stock litz cable for my Andromeda, and switched to a Linum SuperBaX cable for the Samba.

(While I do buy aftermarket cables, I'm pretty agnostic about cable differences. For IEMs in particular, I'm more concerned about comfort and convenience.)

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #7,062 of 9,825

- Also now we have Superlitz and Atlas. Superlitz is a more lighter and manageable alternative to the SXC-8.

*read the Atlas/Solaris and andro v1 vs v3 write ups for more CA/ALO Audio cable coverage.

Decisions decisions.

——————————-

———————————

@Gww1 the new Spiral dots have a more solid core for the nozzles and color coded.

Funny Headpie!

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #7,063 of 9,825

Decisions decisions.

——————————-

———————————

Good read. Also, just checked out your site... Andromeda V3? Is that a thing already? If so, what are the differences with V2? Thanks!

EDIT:

Is the Andromeda that Audio46 refers to as the “2nd edition” (what I assumed was the V2) actually the V3? It has the refined body and comes with the smoky Litz and green leather case.

Here’s a link:

https://audio46.com/products/campfire-audio-andromeda-2nd-edition

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #7,064 of 9,825
I dont have V2

But basically

V1 aluminum spout, original litz

V2 stainless steel spout, a few edges smooth, original litz

V3 stainless spout/nozzle, more edges smoothed, new weave brown litz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back