Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jan 30, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #6,666 of 9,829
that is not totally true. Only mids driver is diff than the Green so fuller mids yes

There is more to take into account than just the drivers. The housing is made of stainless steel as well as being a bit larger, and I believe drivers can be tuned differently, can they not?

I had my Andromeda S for a couple weeks and ended up selling it for a few reasons.
While it did sound incredible.. so much so that they are the only IEMs that I've had to date where I didn't need to EQ them at all, I didn't like the problems with hiss, even out of my wm1a and zx300. Surprisingly, the zx300 has half the amount of hiss, to where it's almost unnoticeable.

The second thing was the condensation buildup on the nozzle end. Idk if my ears are extra hot, but it got a lot worse than it seems to for others. 20190130_101747-01.jpeg
There's no way I'm getting a ifi-match and I was worried about condensation on the long run, so I just ordered a pair of Solaris.

Not the first impressions I was hoping to give, but what can I do.

Jan 30, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #6,667 of 9,829
There is more to take into account than just the drivers. The housing is made of stainless steel as well as being a bit larger, and I believe drivers can be tuned differently, can they not?

I had my Andromeda S for a couple weeks and ended up selling it for a few reasons.
While it did sound incredible.. so much so that they are the only IEMs that I've had to date where I didn't need to EQ them at all, I didn't like the problems with hiss, even out of my wm1a and zx300. Surprisingly, the zx300 has half the amount of hiss, to where it's almost unnoticeable.

The second thing was the condensation buildup on the nozzle end. Idk if my ears are extra hot, but it got a lot worse than it seems to for others.
There's no way I'm getting a ifi-match and I was worried about condensation on the long run, so I just ordered a pair of Solaris.

Interesting! I have the green Andromeda and don’t notice any hiss with zx300 using balanced with low gain. I wonder if the steel version is more susceptible to hiss or I might not be very sensitive to hiss. I do need the Iematch when using andromeda with ALO Continental V5 because it hissed too much!

Jan 30, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #6,668 of 9,829
I wear mine at just at my desk and I get even more condensation than yours.

I just wipe them down when I see it but it is a bit concerning how long they will affect long term. Kind of annoying but at the same time there’s just so many inherent trade-offs in this hobby..

Andro S fit perfect for my ears and sound excellent. Solaris sound even better but the casings are huge and bulge out from my ears.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #6,669 of 9,829
Interesting! I have the green Andromeda and don’t notice any hiss with zx300 using balanced with low gain. I wonder if the steel version is more susceptible to hiss or I might not be very sensitive to hiss. I do need the Iematch when using andromeda with ALO Continental V5 because it hissed too much!
I have read that indeed the S if more sensitive then the regular Andromeda. I really hope that this Solaris is a continuation of the Andromeda s like some people are saying, or else I may regret this LOL.

I wear mine at just at my desk and I get even more condensation than yours.

I just wipe them down when I see it but it is a bit concerning how long they will affect long term. Kind of annoying but at the same time there’s just so many inherent trade-offs in this hobby..

Andro S fit perfect for my ears and sound excellent. Solaris sound even better but the casings are huge and bulge out from my ears.
I was honestly just going to live with it and didn't mind wiping it down. One day, though, it got so bad that a bit of water dripped down and covered a nozzle port, muffling the sound. I was really scared that eventually something with drip inside and **** something up in there.

It really sucks because they sound so damn good, and that build will last decades.

Do you have a Solaris? Do you think it's an upgrade? Luckily I have big ****ing elf ears so I'm not too worried about the fit haha. I can put my Rhapsodio Solar all the way inside.

Also, funny.. I'm gonna have a Solar and Solaris.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #6,670 of 9,829
Do you have a Solaris? Do you think it's an upgrade? Luckily I have big ****ing elf ears so I'm not too worried about the fit haha. I can put my Rhapsodio Solar all the way inside.

Also, funny.. I'm gonna have a Solar and Solaris.

Yes i have Solaris as well and its definitely an upgrade in my opinion. Now it's up to you personally if the upgrade is worth the almost twice the cost (say for used market Andro S).
As much as I love them, i'm going to return them since i'm still within the window. My andro's are more than enough to hold me over until I find a good deal on Solaris.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #6,671 of 9,829
Yes i have Solaris as well and its definitely an upgrade in my opinion. Now it's up to you personally if the upgrade is worth the almost twice the cost (say for used market Andro S).
As much as I love them, i'm going to return them since i'm still within the window. My andro's are more than enough to hold me over until I find a good deal on Solaris.

I found a used deal that I'm pretty happy with. Only losing out by about 400 after selling Andros. I'm giving them one last listen right now before sending them off.

Thank you. That's a good bit of reassurance!

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #6,672 of 9,829
@Mrcojocaru If you still have time, try to give the Andromeda S a listen with foam or marshmallow tips. I was getting no condensation with Comply foamies.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #6,673 of 9,829

The second thing was the condensation buildup on the nozzle end. Idk if my ears are extra hot, but it got a lot worse than it seems to for others.

Tried Solaris and Andro S side by side and to my ears the Solaris has just as much hiss as the Andros, which surprised me. That was from SP1000M. I hope you get different results from your sources. Enjoy them either way, they sound amazing.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #6,674 of 9,829
Thank for this reply. My problem is now: I can't / don't want to buy the balanced alo 8 just to test "how much" the improvement could be. I already bought the symmetrical cable, unfortunately.
I've got you my friend! This cable is a STEAL for this price. I would recommend it to anyone who needs a balanced 4.4. I use it on my DUNU DK3001 and love it. The wire is as thin as other $100+ cables I've used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073Q41M5V?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

20190128_135122.jpg

@Mrcojocaru If you still have time, try to give the Andromeda S a listen with foam or marshmallow tips. I was getting no condensation with Comply foamies.
I'm not a huge fan of foam. It takes me far too long to get it situated in my ear. Either way, they're on their way to someone else who I think will appreciate them a lot.. someone who lives for mids, and has been trying to get a pair for months but they escaped him 4 times already lol.
Tried Solaris and Andro S side by side and to my ears the Solaris has just as much hiss as the Andros, which surprised me. That was from SP1000M. I hope you get different results from your sources. Enjoy them either way, they sound amazing.
I prepared myself for that possibility. Them. Sounding EVEN better and not having condensation will make me feel better about them. Plus, there was hardly any hiss from my zx300.

I wonder why this isn't something Campfire Audio can't fix. Such expensive gear shouldn't have such a basic (to me) issue.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #6,675 of 9,829
I'm not a huge fan of foam. It takes me far too long to get it situated in my ear.
Such expensive gear shouldn't have such a basic (to me) issue.[hiss]

I agree on the convenience of foams. Too much setup time. But if you're not going to remove them for a longer period (this is what exacerbates the condensation issue) then maybe it's not a big deal to spend an extra minute to put them on.

However, condensation will be a problem with any metal IEM. Aluminium housing IEMs should have an even bigger problem because Al is about twice as thermally conductive as steel. For a while I had both the green Andromeda (now with a friend) and the S, and the Green would build up water on the nozzle even faster. The Solaris has an aluminium outer shell with a steel spout (similar to the original Andromeda). Maybe the brown coating they put on the shell reduces the heat conductivity, but if it doesn't, condensation should still be forming somewhere. One advantage I see with the Andro is that at least the condensation forms at the entrance and not inside the shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back