Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 30, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #3,181 of 9,829
Splendid.
Although SE or Balanced out depends on the Dap as not all do balanced well.

Overall its hard to fault the Andromeda no matter what it is connected to.

They also differ somewhat from 1ohm, 2ohm , 5ohm output impedance etc.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #3,184 of 9,829
Hello
Can anyone compare SQ ?
1:ZEUS
2:S-EM9
3:ANDROMEDA

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3,185 of 9,829
Oct 31, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #3,186 of 9,829
I just got my Nova, I feel Spin fit tips really good for Nova compare to JVC. Nova sounds cleaner, more detailed and better soundstage.

Such beauty!

Congrats! I still listen to my Novas almost every day. For me though, Comply's suit me best. I just like what they do to the sound. Really good mid-fi iem. Glad you are happy.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #3,187 of 9,829
Hi,

I used the Andromeda for quite a while now and I love the sound but the memory wire on the stock cable is hell for me. It diminishes the listening experience imo. What are some of the best cables out there? What type of cable should I get? (Copper, Silver, Silver plated Copper etc..) I'm thinking of getting either Super Bax or a cable from Toxic cables. What are you guys suggesting?

Thanks

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #3,188 of 9,829
Hi,

I used the Andromeda for quite a while now and I love the sound but the memory wire on the stock cable is hell for me. It diminishes the listening experience imo. What are some of the best cables out there? What type of cable should I get? (Copper, Silver, Silver plated Copper etc..) I'm thinking of getting either Super Bax or a cable from Toxic cables. What are you guys suggesting?

Thanks

Save your money, cut it off (carefully).

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #3,189 of 9,829
  Hi,

Thanks

I think the most obvious choice right now would be this one, from ALO Audio (I don't believe it has the memory wire but you may want to confirm with Ken on that one)

https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/reference-8-iem/

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #3,190 of 9,829

I think the most obvious choice right now would be this one, from ALO Audio (I don't believe it has the memory wire but you may want to confirm with Ken on that one)

+1. It's a great cable! Have used it with both the Vega's and K10's. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #3,191 of 9,829

Hi,

Thanks

Ref8 has a memory wire, and it's not easy to remove.  I wouldn't recommend it because you can easily damage the connector and void the warranty.  I did it at my own risk (with Ref8 which came with W80), and can tell you that unlike some other cheap cables where you can just pull and slide out the memory wire - here, if you are really desperate, you will have to clip it at your own risk.  What I would recommend is contacting @KB prior to placing an order and ask if he can make a pair for you without memory wire.  Typically, memory wire is very useful with 2pin connectors, but with mmcx some (myself including) might find it a PITA.  Just a matter of a personal preference.

@xDragonslayerx - scroll to the cable section of my Andromeda review, I tried it with BaX and pure silver and other SCP cables, but always made a full circle back to the stock ALO Litz silver plated copper (SPC) cable.  To my ears it was the best pair up.  Every cable, regardless if you are  looking even at a dozen of other Litz SPC wires, will have a different "cooking" formula where everything, including connectors and solder, will add some subtle pinch of sound change.  I'm not sure about your audio source, and if perhaps you have some with balanced output.  Maybe it's a good idea to get a balanced Litz spc with 2.5mm tor 3.5mm adapter, this way you are covered for any connection, and also while placing the order ask Ken to make one without memory wire?

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #3,192 of 9,829

Ref8 has a memory wire, and it's not easy to remove.  I wouldn't recommend it because you can easily damage the connector and void the warranty.  I did it at my own risk (with Ref8 which came with W80), and can tell you that unlike some other cheap cables where you can just pull and slide out the memory wire - here, if you are really desperate, you will have to clip it at your own risk.  What I would recommend is contacting @KB prior to placing an order and ask if he can make a pair for you without memory wire.  Typically, memory wire is very useful with 2pin connectors, but with mmcx some (myself including) might find it a PITA.  Just a matter of a personal preference.

I e-mailed Campfire Audio recently and they said they can't offer their Litz cables without the memory wire. They said that the memory wire is within the moulded plastic as well, which is why it's very difficult to remove! It looks like the Ref 8 would have the same build judging from the pictures, although possibly at that price they might be able to customise it for you.

Shame as I can't stand memory wire and have been looking for a new cable myself too!

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #3,194 of 9,829
How well would the Dragonfly 1.5 Black pair with the Andromeda?
Red paired really well though a bit bright. Kind of wish I didn't sell it now after moving to the AK70. It sounded better than that at the very least. Black is supposed to be warmer sounding so might be a better for for the Andromeda. Price is certainly cheap enough to give it a shot.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #3,195 of 9,829
b3a77e51ab41a9b20580d184bff2d2d8.jpg
783fcda89eebe9a79d0af942dc7ff672.jpg
993ffea075fb4641edcfa6db0d063ebb.jpg
cc9105bd9f77758b1d9695b165636699.jpg

Reference 8 cable is smexy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back