Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 8, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,426 of 9,829
  Received my Nova's Monday, so far I really like them, I'm a big fan of Campfire.  I have a lot of iem's JH Audio custom 16's, Roxanne I, Campfire, Jupiter (which I lost 
confused_face.gif
), Andromeda, Nova, Nuforce Primo 8, Dunu 2000J, various Shure, etc.  you get the picture...  I also have Hifiman HE6, Oppo PM3, Senn HD650, Audeze X, Final Pandora VI, Kingsound KS H3 with SS amp, etc..  My portable setup is A&K 320 with Mojo amp Dac.  Today sat around with both headphones plugged into Mojo, Nova and Andromeda.  I could live with either earphone indefinitely as both are well with balanced, with the Nova as less accurate in every facet, but competes well.  The Andromeda best every portable phone I've ever listened to in most areas.  Once you put them on it is difficult to go back.  The Novas seem slightly punched up in the midband, less detailed but very listenable.  I prefer the Nova's to most of my other headphones with the exception of the JH Audio 16's.  For now the Andromeda's are the King for me for portable listening, bass seems to go very deep and articulate, midband is exceptional with a soundstage that rivals my on ear phones, the Mojo and 320 combination seem to suit them well.

So you're saying the Andromeda is better than your JH Audio Roxanne which costs $1800+

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #1,427 of 9,829
The wonders of shipping indeed. I accepted the shipment reaching the UK a day faster just cuz it probably went straight into the air over the pond, but I would expect the shipments going down under to hit Florida before flying literally half a world away :mad: . I hope you enjoy them!

So environmentally inconsiderate right? :p

Did the tracking change to the local postal service? For people in the US, the tracking number stayed the same, but the first leg of the deliveries here in the US are handled by DHL, then is tendered later to USPS. DHL still tracks in this case, but USPS is then able to more accurately place where the package is. For example, when I checked DHL yesterday, it said it was still at the edges of the state, most recently tendered to USPS. Then I checked the tracking number on USPS and it said it arrived at my local post office ready for delivery the next business day. Perhaps for the middle east, the tracking number has to change when tracking changes hands from DHL to a local delivery service?

My Novas have been "Tendered to USPS" in St. Louis for 2 days, with no update on either DHL or USPS tracking....heck I could have driven to St. L and picked them up quicker...

Patience....:innocent:

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,428 of 9,829

Did the tracking change to the local postal service? For people in the US, the tracking number stayed the same, but the first leg of the deliveries here in the US are handled by DHL, then is tendered later to USPS. DHL still tracks in this case, but USPS is then able to more accurately place where the package is. For example, when I checked DHL yesterday, it said it was still at the edges of the state, most recently tendered to USPS. Then I checked the tracking number on USPS and it said it arrived at my local post office ready for delivery the next business day. Perhaps for the middle east, the tracking number has to change when tracking changes hands from DHL to a local delivery service?

I just checked again before this reply and I see that the package is on transit at Germany. Maybe this is the normal route; US then into some European countries. I'm just worried about each country's customs regulations. Last time I ordered the Monk Plus earbuds from Aliexpress, I was summoned to the post office for package inspection. They were asking if "this thing" has a camera. Wow. Haha! I guess they've never seen earbuds before. Anyway, back to the Nova, I hope they won't get stuck in some country because of some strict customs regulations. I'll cry!
triportsad.gif

I'm still hoping for the best and still excited to hear how they sound. Good luck to all. Let's hope all packages reach their destinations. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,430 of 9,829
  oh no, massdrop shipping woes have derailed another thread!

Actually, it's a good sign since the thread will be back on track with lots of Nova impressions, really soon!!!

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,432 of 9,829
Yes agreed! Ive had mine for two days and am quite happy with the purchase. Im not one to try and do a review but I do enjoy them quite a bit. The one thing I will say is I was listening to a track ive heard at least dozens of times last night and I had a moment where I was like "Oh, that is what he says there!" Not sure if this is an indicator of good detail or separation but either way, the vocals are much more clear and defined, and not drowned out by the other instruments in the song.

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,433 of 9,829

Actually, it's a good sign since the thread will be back on track with lots of Nova impressions, really soon!!!

yup, just got mine from Massdrop today and listening to on my fiiO X3 right now.

The DHL to USPS handover had DHL up the ship time on mine by an additional 3 days, but I still got them from USPS on the original estimated arrival date.  

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #1,434 of 9,829
Exciting times. Great that impressions if the Nova are starting to come in.
Curious to see how they compare to my earlier review, I f I was accurate enough, or not . :)

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,435 of 9,829
  Yes agreed! Ive had mine for two days and am quite happy with the purchase. Im not one to try and do a review but I do enjoy them quite a bit. The one thing I will say is I was listening to a track ive heard at least dozens of times last night and I had a moment where I was like "Oh, that is what he says there!" Not sure if this is an indicator of good detail or separation but either way, the vocals are much more clear and defined, and not drowned out by the other instruments in the song.

^Totally agree with this assessment of the Nova's. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,436 of 9,829
So you're saying the Andromeda is better than your JH Audio Roxanne which costs $1800+

I have the series 1 Roxanne and yes I like the Andromeda better. Here's what I am hearing, greater transparency including layering, and seem slightly more neutral with tightening and more subterranean bass. Soundstage width and depth are greater and more apparent on Andromeda. The only issue I have with all my Campfire iem's are the sharp edges which make my ears a little sore after a couple of hours of listening. Both the Andromeda and Nova share the same characteristics and sound signature, the Abdromeda just has more of everything. If I could make some examples it would be like going from a BMW 6 to an M6 with competition package. The soundstage, clarity and tone of the Andromeda are fantastic especially for an iem. Driven straight from my A&K 320 the sound is very good, inserting the Mojo it is great.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,437 of 9,829
Both the Andromeda and Nova share the same characteristics and sound signature, the Abdromeda just has more of everything.

This is interesting. So Nova is a "baby" Andromeda? If this is the case I'm really kicking myself for not joining the drop. :frowning2: Thanks for sharing though! Eager to read more reviews as they come in. Did any other Andromeda owners also get the Nova and can compare the two?

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #1,440 of 9,829
Disclaimer: I am not audiophile, just learning and pretending.  Building up a slew of stuff and trying to find my sweet spot IEMS (Trinity Atlas, VModa ZN, RHA T20, Focal Sphear, 1more Triple Driver)  I do a lot of reading here and a lot of research and then trying different units.  Currently my ranking favorite is the Trinity Atlas.  I am 100% electronica music.

Got mine today also. After three hours straight of listening the jury is still out (yes I know it is going to take some time). It might be that my expectations were higher the normal coupled with anticipation of a higher end . Using my Fiio X3ii with e12A produced the best quality sound of any other source I tried (which is the most powered source I have). Verza DAC was mediocre compared to my Trinity Atlas. Straight out of my Denon 4200 (including pumping it through the e12A) was mediocre. Must give these more time I guess. Lower expectations and start with fresh head I must!

Other reviews and Jupiter and Andromeda all commented that the sharp edges were a problem. After three straight hours, including lying on one side of my head, the edges haven't bothered me at all. Fit is comfy and easy to find the right angle.

I will say, poorly recorded MP3's really sound like crap on these....lol, like these really bring out the bad which is good if you think about it. Spundose FLAC and APE sounded pretty damn good. I might need a less balanced and more V shaped for my own personal tastes listening to electronica, EDM, psytrance and all things techno.

Might be a long night breaking these in and finding the right configuration for their sweet spot. Gain H or L, Using EQ or not? What volume setting?

Build, packaging, carry case, wires, look and Comply tips all beyond EXCEPTIONAL. I really really really want like these. Feel like Christmas time.

More to come........ I wish I could write a good review.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back