Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 17, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #1,037 of 9,829
Good review - Goldendarko

Sorry, I should have made that more clear but I was typing from mobile. Was just posting a copy of a new review I found, so I can't take credit for it, but it was a good read and sounds like the praise for the Andromeda continues to pile up.

May 17, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #1,039 of 9,829
Yeah but how does it compare with aquatic animals?

In all seriousness though, I would be glad to review all of the TOTL IEM's on the market today!

(as long as someone is willing to send them all to me 
biggrin.gif
)

May 17, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,040 of 9,829

Right now, the NOVA sounds the best out of my phone - Sony Xperia. That does not mean the Xperia is better than the Sony ZX2 or the  BMC DAC or the Fostex A8 . So I do agree with you, there is absolutely no reference in most reviews what the system the unit was tested in sounds like and how does it colors/add to the sound or subtracts from it. Components in the chain do affect the end sound.  

Correction: bad components in the chain affect the end sound.

Good components that are stable and provide ample current to keep FR, noise, DR, and importantly, stereo separation, good, are necessary. But they're not all that rare. And it is pretty well documented which are able to supply the necessary output current/voltage to NOT colour or otherwise ruin the sound of an earphone. 

May 18, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #1,044 of 9,829

Correction: bad components in the chain affect the end sound.

Good components that are stable and provide ample current to keep FR, noise, DR, and importantly, stereo separation, good, are necessary. But they're not all that rare. And it is pretty well documented which are able to supply the necessary output current/voltage to NOT colour or otherwise ruin the sound of an earphone. 

There is no question that the Sony ZX2 is a good DAP (component) and if you ask anybody who is using it will tell you that it does make most system sound better. So it does affect the SQ but in a positive way. 

May 18, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #1,045 of 9,829
seems nobody gives a sit about the mmcx connectors, arent they easier to get loose than 2 pins? that's what i think but not sure how true is it

May 18, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #1,046 of 9,829
  There is no question that the Sony ZX2 is a good DAP (component) and if you ask anybody who is using it will tell you that it does make most system sound better. So it does affect the SQ but in a positive way. 

It's a very well thought-out player with a so-so output: both noisy, underpowered, and unable to drive high quality signals any better than an iPod nano. That someone says it has better SQ speaks volumes about their bias, but nothing about actual sound quality. 

Saying something sounds good, or better, than something else is exactly as helpful as saying that blue is a better colour than yellow. 

May 18, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #1,047 of 9,829

I guess I'm a bit different.  Here's why:
  1. No bio noticeable either within view or on-site, so no idea what the reviewers preferences are
  2. No reference points regarding measurements or anything for comparisons
  3. No actual comparisons
  4. No real information regarding different sources

If I'm reading the article and wanting actual information - I get some nice pictures, some very loose sound descriptors which could describe anything - and no real idea of what the Andromeda sounds like that could be the slightest bit useful if I was a buyer.

Personally I thought it was an article - not a review.  Not badly written - but with little to no usable info.

Thanks man you make me sound so nice now :D

May 18, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #1,048 of 9,829
Erm actually I don't know why you're letting this get to you I thought @Mimouillewas being perfectly polite and courteous, and he wasn't complaining or criticising you at all. Relax buddy. I'm sure he appreciates what you have done. But everyone hopes for different things and nothing wrong with asking as Long as they're courteous and polite about it without demanding anything. Similarly, there's nos obligation on your part, if you have time, and if you would like to by all means do the comparison, if you don't have the time, no one's blaming you.

This is a forum after all where everyone should be able to express their thoughts freely, as Long as its done in a polite and courteous manner.

I hope you won't get too worked up when someone's asking for this or that comparison. Remember this, they're only asking you because they respect your opinion and they acknowledge that you're in a special position to do such a comparison
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't poop on that
smily_headphones1.gif

Erm actually I don't know why you're letting this get to you

I would not expect you to fully understand what I and other reviewers have gone through (even though you have reviewed), so please don't take it as "letting this get to (me)".

Quote:
 I thought @Mimouillewas being perfectly polite and courteous, and he wasn't complaining or criticising you at all.

If you comprehended what I originally wrote, this was not directed at his complaining or criticizing me at all since I was not the person that wrote the review, meaning his complaining and criticizing was not directed at me.  I am fully aware of this, and you should be as well.  If not, please PM me and I can try to explain in more detail, as best as I can.

Quote:
I'm sure he appreciates what you have done. But everyone hopes for different things and nothing wrong with asking as Long as they're courteous and polite about it without demanding anything. Similarly, there's nos obligation on your part, if you have time, and if you would like to by all means do the comparison, if you don't have the time, no one's blaming you.

Please look at my reply above your bolded quote, same reply applies.  Also, if you comprehended what I wrote in the original post, it is not about obligation or if I have time and/or people blaming me.  Not at all.

Quote:
This is a forum after all where everyone should be able to express their thoughts freely, as Long as its done in a polite and courteous manner.

This is a forum and no you can not express your thoughts freely even if it is done in a polite and courteous manner (as there are some seemingly valid, polite and courteous posts that may be deleted).  I will not go into detail with this regard.  Debating this means that you do not truly understand.

Quote:
I hope you won't get too worked up when someone's asking for this or that comparison.

That is not a factor at all with regards to me "...get(ting) too worked up...".  Nothing of the sort.  Please try to comprehend my original post.  If you really do not understand, PM me, and I can try to explain in more detail, as best as I can.

Quote:
Remember this, they're only asking you because they respect your opinion and they acknowledge that you're in a special position to do such a comparison

I highly appreciate that they may respect my opinion, but again, my original post has nothing to do with your above statement.

Quote:
Don't poop on that

I haven't even squatted :)  

Trust me, I adore most everyone and try my best to help those as best as I can.  Pooping or even beginning to squat to poop is not in my vocabulary when it comes to being an assistant to people around the world.

If you would like to speak further with regards to the above, or to grasp a better understanding of what I am conveying, then please PM me, as I do not want to detract the thread any further (I apologize in advance, everyone).

Take care.

I guess I'm a bit different.  Here's why:
  1. No bio noticeable either within view or on-site, so no idea what the reviewers preferences are
  2. No reference points regarding measurements or anything for comparisons
  3. No actual comparisons
  4. No real information regarding different sources

If I'm reading the article and wanting actual information - I get some nice pictures, some very loose sound descriptors which could describe anything - and no real idea of what the Andromeda sounds like that could be the slightest bit useful if I was a buyer.

Personally I thought it was an article - not a review.  Not badly written - but with little to no usable info.

Firstly, what I originally wrote and posted had nothing to do with whether the review from Audio-Head.com was a review or not. This is not my concern and not the focus at all with regards to my original post.

Quote:
I guess I'm a bit different.  Here's why: No bio noticeable either within view or on-site, so no idea what the reviewers preferences are

Based on your above statement (not assuming since it is stated), since he does not have a bio it means his publication was not a review?

I personally do not insert a bio on every single review that I write (whether I do or not is beside the fact), so that means that most of my publications to your words are not reviews?

Ever other person who has written a review who does not insert a bio on every single review that they write means that those publication(s) are disqualified as reviews?

Absolutely absurd statement, in my honest opinion.

Quote:
No reference points regarding measurements or anything for comparisons

Based on your above statement (not assuming since it is stated), since he does not have reference points regarding measurements or anything for comparisons means his publication was not a review?

I personally very rarely (and never any of my own) post measurements in the reviews that I write other than decibel measurements of headphone sound output with my iPhone application (which I consider as relatively simple and not nearly as complicated as measuring and posting frequency response graphs.  I've written my thoughts about measurements on various Head-Fi threads, but Mr. K. Ball's recent post about measurements, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/805107/campfire-audio-introducing-2-new-models-hello-andromeda-and-nova/510#post_12561462, echo completely how I feel about measurements.  I definitely do not want to get into a measurement debate, and I believe there is more to what we hear and feel than paper/virtual ink measurements.  I believe measurements may or may not allow a gist and glimpse of what we may hear, but measurements are not the end-all-be-all.  Even if it measures flat, it may not sound flat.  Various audio manufacturers tell me this privately.  I digress.  These reasons outlined above, and others, are precisely why I personally choose to not post measurements.  I have zero issues if you or anyone else posts measurements.  The issue I have personally have is the statement that if you don't provide reference points regarding measurements, your publication is not acknowledged as a review.  Again, I do not want to get into a debate about measurements.  Just because I or anyone else chooses to not post measurements does not mean that their review is not valid.  

Every other person who has written a review who does not post "reference points regarding measurements or anything for comparisons" in every single review that they write means that those publication(s) are disqualified as reviews?

Quote:
No actual comparisons

Based on your above statement (not assuming since it is stated), since he does not disclose "actual comparisons" means his publication was not a review?

When I first started writing reviews, I literally had very little to compare my IEMs to, and nothing in the same price range (within a few hundred US dollars of each other).  Based on what you stated above, this means that my review(s) that don't compare to anything is not valid as being a review.

Every other person who has written a review who does not post "actual comparisons" in every single review that they write means that those publication(s) are disqualified as reviews?

Quote:
No real information regarding different sources

Based on your above statement (not assuming since it is stated), since he does not disclose "real information regarding different sources" means his publication was not a review?

I have personally used one source in my reviews for quite a while.  It was a long time before I was able to obtain a very good sounding audiophile/music lover DAP to my ears that I felt comfortable with using in comparisons.  Based on your above statement, it means that my review(s) that do not use different sources is not valid as being a review.

Every other person who has written a review who does not post "real information regarding different sources" in every single review that they write means that those publication(s) are disqualified as reviews?

Quote:

I respect your opinion - I would like to say: Who are we to say which is which?  I personally respect any attempt at a review and I am not going to say what I think are parameters for a review.  Thinking anything else is elitist and simply not cool in my honest opinion.  If they say it's a review, then that is the poster's prerogative.  If the publisher states it's a review (which is specifically what the Andromeda review on Audio-Head.com is titled [Campfire Audio Andromeda IEM Review]), then I will take it as a review, regardless of what the author includes or omits.

If you would like to speak further with regards to the above, or to grasp a better understanding of what I am conveying, then please PM me, as I do not want to detract the thread any further (I apologize in advance, everyone).

Take care.

To get back on track, the Andromeda is a serious contender as a top-of-the-line IEM, as I took it to The Source AV event (summer series, link to events thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/807600/cavalli-audio-presents-the-source-av-s-summer-series-2016) and some event-goers and Head-Fi friends were saying it was the best they've heard of the day (including the expensive and awesome sounding headphones such as the HD 800, HD 800 S, HE1000, LCD line [except for the 4] and others).

Also, even though I really enjoy the Emerald Green of the housings, I really like the MMCX Litz Cable as well.  Nice and supple to the touch, and a really thin and easy-to-manipulate memory wire helps to maximize overall comfort.

May 18, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #1,049 of 9,829
Wow - where did that all come from Maurice?

For the record - Michael simply stated that he thought comparison with other IEMs would have helped.  You replied suggesting a reason why apparently a lot of reviewers don't do this.  You even stated:
 this is how I feel and I know that other reviewers echo my thoughts, even though it may not have been said publicly.

So I thought I'd comment on why the review (or whatever it was) for me didn't actually give me a lot of info.  Then I get your comments - which are basically calling my stance absurd.

So you are able to state your opinion, speak for other reviewers - and because my views differ from yours I am absurd?

I'll leave it here - but I'd suggest you take another good look at what you wrote.

May 18, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,050 of 9,829
  Wow - where did that all come from Maurice?

For the record - Michael simply stated that he thought comparison with other IEMs would have helped.  You replied suggesting a reason why apparently a lot of reviewers don't do this.  You even stated:

So I thought I'd comment on why the review (or whatever it was) for me didn't actually give me a lot of info.  Then I get your comments - which are basically calling my stance absurd.

So you are able to state your opinion, speak for other reviewers - and because my views differ from yours I am absurd?

I'll leave it here - but I'd suggest you take another good look at what you wrote.

I'd suggest you do the same, Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back