Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 10, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #9,766 of 9,829
Thanks you for that! Might actually bring the my Andros at Schiitr to try it with Vali 2++. Just a quick thoughts, how does the combo compared to the SR25 which you have on the sig?

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #9,767 of 9,829
Thanks you for that! Might actually bring the my Andros at Schiitr to try it with Vali 2++. Just a quick thoughts, how does the combo compared to the SR25 which you have on the sig?
Yes, the SR25 is also a good match with the Andro2020, especially when I want something small & light in my pocket. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the RS6 tho :)

Comparing the Bf2/Vali2+ to the SR25, sub-bass especially digs deeper and stage expands noticeably in width and height on the desktop rig, so the whole presentation just feels bigger and more grand. There is also a bit more punch and attack in the upper mids/treble with the Vali2+, which could be perceived as aggressive, although I don't feel it goes too far. The SR25 is still very clean and precise, it just feels somewhat cramped by comparison, and on a smaller scale.

Yer lucky to be able to visit the Schiitr, defo on my list for my next trip to LA. I may give into my kids' ask to go back to Disneyland as a trade-off.
If you do go, try the Asgard3 as well, I also like it's laidback SE output, and I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the Lyr+

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #9,768 of 9,829
Yes, the SR25 is also a good match with the Andro2020, especially when I want something small & light in my pocket. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the RS6 tho :)

Comparing the Bf2/Vali2+ to the SR25, sub-bass especially digs deeper and stage expands noticeably in width and height on the desktop rig, so the whole presentation just feels bigger and more grand. There is also a bit more punch and attack in the upper mids/treble with the Vali2+, which could be perceived as aggressive, although I don't feel it goes too far. The SR25 is still very clean and precise, it just feels somewhat cramped by comparison, and on a smaller scale.

Yer lucky to be able to visit the Schiitr, defo on my list for my next trip to LA. I may give into my kids' ask to go back to Disneyland as a trade-off.
If you do go, try the Asgard3 as well, I also like it's laidback SE output, and I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the Lyr+

For sure. If my weekend goes free then I might drop by this weekend. I'm also staying quite far from Schiitr but manageable at 55 miles away. I'll also bring my Drop Dan Clark Aeon X Open for a fairer comparison rather than Andromeda due to its extremely low impedance and high sensitivity which can skew the sound impressions from Lyr+, Vali2++ and Asgard 3. As for Andromeda, I'll definitely check out the hissing and compatibility with Schiit's bigger amps

Oct 11, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #9,769 of 9,829
Have you tried Azla Sedna EarFits? Those work best for me, I think the wide bore lets Andro's upper mids and treble shine at their best. Only issue is they can start to get uncomfortable in my left ear after 90-120 minutes, but not a deal breaker.

R2R DAC and/or low-impedance tube amp pair best with Andro to smooth out some of the "BA-ness". The Bf2/Vali2+ is outstanding, and I think I mentioned the RS6 previously. The synergy I get with both of those has me keeping the Andro around for the long term as it's about the most engaging listen I can get out of all the gear I've currently got on hand.
That's what I'm planning to get with the CP155, they are a wide bore tip with huge hole that make it too loose on most iem, I've bought it simply because it's the most comfortable shape I've found for my ear, but lost one side a couple years ago, buying some more for Andro right now.

The problem for me is I don't plan on getting another source just to gel better with the Andro, the only thing I plan to Change are only the BTR3 when it inevitably dies.
I guess next is swapping back to the stock cable after I got its mmcx fixed, the one I use right now is Pure copper gold plated 4.4bal, best mostly on the Tazzy and good on WM1A when I'm out and about with the heightened mid bass
Have anyone used an impedance adapter with Andro? Does that do anything for it?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #9,770 of 9,829
Funnily the best sound I've got with it portably is with my 6+ years old Sony XZ premium, I guess that's perfect, got DSEEHX for all the streaming I'm gonna use it with anyway.
Smoother vocals, great sub bass presence. Not as sibilant as with V60.

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #9,771 of 9,829
I'm getting used to the Andro more now, after swapping the tips to some old white Spinfit I kept, managed to take down the mid bass bloat that exist with the spiral dot, especially when it's connected to 4.4 Bal on the WM1A, then adding on wider Soundstage, esp it's width and height, quite Airy as well, bass are more reined in, sub bass presence are there, I'm liking this.

It does become too bass anemic when I drive it out of the Tazzy now tho.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #9,772 of 9,829
Just don't let the condensation seeps into the holes.

Mine happened recently. then 1 side got softer than the other side. I was going to send for repair but after i left it for a few hours the sound returned to normal.
Ah yeah I guess that settles it, thanks, I had this happened to me recently, old post but indeed relevant.

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #9,773 of 9,829
It really is about the perspective, tried Blessing 2 just the other day, which I thought were quite good when I demoed it a couple months ago, now A/B direct against the Andromeda, it isn't even close.
He moondrop has narrow Soundstage, thin, with worse extension both up and down.

I was comparing my first impression of the Andromeda with my memory of the KSE thus the disappointment, but when the Andro are put in today's offering, it still competes damn well huh.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #9,774 of 9,829
It really is about the perspective, tried Blessing 2 just the other day, which I thought were quite good when I demoed it a couple months ago, now A/B direct against the Andromeda, it isn't even close.
He moondrop has narrow Soundstage, thin, with worse extension both up and down.

I was comparing my first impression of the Andromeda with my memory of the KSE thus the disappointment, but when the Andro are put in today's offering, it still competes damn well huh.

Hence why I still keep mine around and just pretty it up with cables :)
You'd have to spend 6K USD to truly get an upgrade over Andromeda with Oriolus Traillii. The Traillii's like the Blessing 2 are far, far more fragile than the Andromeda because of their acrylic shells which is why I don't think I'm comfortable enough of owning that IEM even I saved funds for it.

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #9,775 of 9,829
For me, I still prefer the KSE over the Andro, sure it doesn't have the Soundstage width, but the positioning, layering, vocal intimacy, then the bass punch, depth and slam are better on the KSE.
I was surprised at how versatile both are for many genres. I guess that's required on all Flagship level IEMs.
But yeah the Shure got angry more often with badly mastered music.

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #9,776 of 9,829

Just got back home from Schiitr earlier to try my Andromeda with Vali2++/Modi Multibit combo

Quick tidbits: No hissing with stock tubes but there's a slight buzz that I hear that goes away when I hit play. The hiss is actually more audible in my SP2000 DAP than the Vali2++ which is quite surprising. Setting is in low gain only and I still couldn't go past 8 o'clock before I start to get hearing damage.

Here's my quick impressions with the Vali2++ with Andromeda. I was seriously expecting what you describe with the Vali 2+, but to my dismay, inverse everything you described and that's how Andromeda sounded with the Vali2++. It is 2D sounding, laid back, lacking bite around edges and as well as depth with obvious roll-off on both sub bass and upper treble extremes. It essentially made the Andromeda sound like HD6XX. I'm seriously thinking it's highly likely that the stock tubes are a mismatch with the Andromeda since I feel that there's definitely a potential for Vali2++ to sound great with it.

IMG_6352.JPG

Onto Asgard 3 with Andromeda, it is distorting and clipping with Andromeda from too low of impedance load (it causes the Asgard 3 to draw too much current at the impedance load and go into "current limiting condition")

After that, I switched to my Drop + Dan Clark Aeon X Open in single ended connection only.

Vali 2++/Modi Multibit: Now with Aeon X Open, I finally get the holographic soundstage, smooth treble but not refined sounding when A/Bed with other Schiit Amps. Great extension on the subbass that doesn't sound too loose or tight. I spend the most time with these as the synergy IMHO is excellent to my preferences.

Asgard 3 + internal ESS DAC: With Aeon X Open, the holographic soundstage from Vali 2++ disappeared, but the stage width is still wide. There's now more midbass emphasis on the Asgard 3 and treble is more refined sounding and smoother than Vali2++

Jotunheim 2 in SE with Internal ESS DAC (did not test the balanced, but you have to use balanced in to maximize this amp period): With Aeon X Open, there's now even more midbass emphasis than the Asgard 3 and treble is a bit more laid back than Asgard 3. It's definitely warmpoo sounding in SE with a smaller soundstage than the Asgard 3

BF2 2/64 + Schiit Lyr+ in tube mode: With Aeon X Open, it is similar sounding to Asgard 3 with just a tad more soundstage depth than the Asgard 3. Midbass went back to Asgard 3 level but treble is now even more revealing sounding while retaining smoothness. Bass extension is solid and full sounding with good control. However, it lacked Vali2++ holographic soundstage. I wouldn't consider Lyr+ lacking the holographic soundstage but I do believe that it doesn't give the best pairing with the Aeon X Open.

IMG_6353.JPG

GMB + Folkvangr: Using Aeon X Open, I get severe clipping in low gain and high gain without the impedance switch. Using the impedance switch, I still get clipping on low gain, but on high gain, I get clipping only on some tracks. Definitely hitting Folkvangr's limitations with driving planars. Despite that, I finally got back the Vali2++ holographic staging and imaging is noticeably superior to Vali2++ as well. Bass extension is just as good as Vali2++ but less full sounding than our solid state brethren. Treble is even more revealing than Lyr+ with lots of "plankton" i.e. microdetails combined with microdynamics.

IMG_6354.JPG

When choosing amp, never rely on somebody else's impressions unless you have the all the gears associated with that impression and your sound preferences align with others as well.

Oct 16, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #9,777 of 9,829
Here's my quick impressions with the Vali2++ with Andromeda. I was seriously expecting what you describe with the Vali 2+, but to my dismay, inverse everything you described and that's how Andromeda sounded with the Vali2++. It is 2D sounding, laid back, lacking bite around edges and as well as depth with obvious roll-off on both sub bass and upper treble extremes. It essentially made the Andromeda sound like HD6XX. I'm seriously thinking it's highly likely that the stock tubes are a mismatch with the Andromeda since I feel that there's definitely a potential for Vali2++ to sound great with it.
Could be the stock tube I guess, but I did get out the 6BZ7 one that came with my Vali2+ and had a listen and I'm not hearing any of what you describe. I'm not familiar with the Pacific Blue Andro, mine's the 2020 green one, could they be that different?
Onto Asgard 3 with Andromeda, it is distorting and clipping with Andromeda from too low of impedance load (it causes the Asgard 3 to draw too much current at the impedance load and go into "current limiting condition")
Here again, I find my Asgard3 with ESS DAC a very pleasing listen with Andro2020, and I've ever heard my A3 go into "current limiting condition" so I don't know what that distorting and clipping sounds like. It is missing some bass depth, has a slightly narrower stage, and doesn't have quite as much detail vs what the BF2/Vali2+ combo provides, but those differences I'd ascribe more to the different DACs than amps, however.

Clearly, ymmv.

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #9,778 of 9,829
Could be the stock tube I guess, but I did get out the 6BZ7 one that came with my Vali2+ and had a listen and I'm not hearing any of what you describe. I'm not familiar with the Pacific Blue Andro, mine's the 2020 green one, could they be that different?

It could definitely be the Andromeda versions. Pacific Blue Andromeda has exactly the same tuning as 2016-2018. I'm seriously baffled with the results. I even A/Bed to my SP2000 DAP just to make sure.

Here again, I find my Asgard3 with ESS DAC a very pleasing listen with Andro2020, and I've ever heard my A3 go into "current limiting condition" so I don't know what that distorting and clipping sounds like. It is missing some bass depth, has a slightly narrower stage, and doesn't have quite as much detail vs what the BF2/Vali2+ combo provides, but those differences I'd ascribe more to the different DACs than amps, however.

Clearly, ymmv.

It's like chirping birds similar to FM radio being almost out of band. Did Campfire actually tweaked their impedance curve when 2020 was released?

Here's the impedance curve for 2016-2018 Andromeda:
As you can see, it reaches 4 ohms from 20-400 Hz. Asgard 3 can see this as being shorted hence going to protection mode (denoted by clipping. See here: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-to-the-amplifier-if-the-speaker-impedance-is-too-low). I couldn't hear any details at all during my demo due to chirping drowning out the music

index.php

Oct 19, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #9,780 of 9,829
Hi everyone, I intend on purchasing Andromeda 2020 to use with my Shanling M3X, does anybody know if the pairing produces hiss from either the SE or BAL out? Couldn't find any info about these two together. The thought of buying a separate Dac amp just for it is not that appealing to me. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back