Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #9,811 of 9,829
It's strange, but for the past few days I've legitimately enjoyed Andromeda more than Utopia...There's a thickness and fun to the sound I just can't get enough of. It's like the perfect combo of technical performance and tuning. Utopia is leagues ahead technically, yet I'm enjoying Andro more lately. Interesting.
With the right source synergy, Andro2020 is an utterly captivating listen in my experience, and even though it's not as technical as gear 2x-3x the price, it's still excellent for where it sits (or rather sat) in the market. Spent my commute yesterday with the HiBy RS6 + Andro2020, which is about the best pairing I've found so far.

Like you, I can't get enough of Andro's midbass 'thickness', and since getting my set 2+ years ago this is something I've looked for in pretty much everything else I've purchased, eg Meze Empyrean and FiR Xe6. Not everything, for eg the A12t, is going to be quite as warm as Andro2020, but any recession or dip in that midbass/lower midrange area is a deal-breaker for me.

In my own ranking of gear, I put a lot of weight on what I call "moreishness", that is how much do I want to listen more to that IEM or headphone. Andro is one of those ones that after 5 minutes of putting it down, I'm thinking about when I'll hear it again, which is why I'd find it hard to ever part with it.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #9,812 of 9,829
With the right source synergy, Andro2020 is an utterly captivating listen in my experience, and even though it's not as technical as gear 2x-3x the price, it's still excellent for where it sits (or rather sat) in the market. Spent my commute yesterday with the HiBy RS6 + Andro2020, which is about the best pairing I've found so far.

Like you, I can't get enough of Andro's midbass 'thickness', and since getting my set 2+ years ago this is something I've looked for in pretty much everything else I've purchased, eg Meze Empyrean and FiR Xe6. Not everything, for eg the A12t, is going to be quite as warm as Andro2020, but any recession or dip in that midbass/lower midrange area is a deal-breaker for me.

In my own ranking of gear, I put a lot of weight on what I call "moreishness", that is how much do I want to listen more to that IEM or headphone. Andro is one of those ones that after 5 minutes of putting it down, I'm thinking about when I'll hear it again, which is why I'd find it hard to ever part with it.
Does it hiss with RS6?

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #9,813 of 9,829
Jul 28, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #9,814 of 9,829
Really liking the Andromeda(2020) out of the Topping DX1. I have mainly used Andromeda with the Fiio M15, and found it too warm. Seems like it was a source mismatching issue.

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #9,815 of 9,829
Yes, the Andromeda and Solstice (what I have) are quite source sensitive. You can really fine tune it's presentation for how you like, which in this case is a strength for me with the IEM.

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #9,816 of 9,829
Haven't been posting on headfi for some time now with weird work schedule.

Took out my pair of Andro snow white from moving boxes and tried it with different sources (macbook pro, phone with dongle and lotoo paw s-1). Was disappointed with noise issue on the mbp and the dongle didn't sound great. Finally switched to the paw s-1 dongle and I think I found the perfect combo for the Andro.

Cheapest pair of IEMs I own and I use it more now.

Just a reminder for everyone to try your IEMs/Headphones with difference sources and be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Sep 14, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #9,817 of 9,829
another weird observation on my MBP M1 Pro 14 vs. M2 Pro 16.
The M1 Pro seems to have issues with sensitive IEMs like the Andromeda where as the M2 Pro doesn't have any issues.
The Andro sound great on the M2 Pro.

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #9,818 of 9,829
Just poping over here to ask, since I'm not a Andromedia owner, but those silicone covers are popular here. Do you guys hear any changes in sound while using it?

On my ie900 I think I hear a change in sound. Essentially the shell of the IEM can alter the sound, and I think adding a bit of silicone cover acts as a bit of dampening. Maybe I'm crazy though.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #9,819 of 9,829
I don't hear difference in sound, but using a silicon IMO make my early model Andromeda more easily to sweat on the bore thus have more risk of water to go into the iem and muffle it

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #9,820 of 9,829
Just poping over here to ask, since I'm not a Andromedia owner, but those silicone covers are popular here. Do you guys hear any changes in sound while using it?

On my ie900 I think I hear a change in sound. Essentially the shell of the IEM can alter the sound, and I think adding a bit of silicone cover acts as a bit of dampening. Maybe I'm crazy though.
Andros 2020 are notorious for paint chipping at the edges of the shell. This is done to preserve the 'good-as-new' look.
I personally prefer the 'wear and tear' look of unprotected 2020. Gives them character.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #9,821 of 9,829
I used to use a Lavricables Ultimate IEM cable with my Andromeda 2020 but recently the left channel has gone dead. I'm eventually sending it back for repair but I'm traveling in Asia at the moment (first Wuhan, China, now I'm in a little town in Japan called Tajimi, north of Nagoya) and didn't want to be left without my Andromedas.

I took a visit to e-earphones in Nagoya where I had the opportunity to listen to five or six non-copper (or at least not pure copper) cables, and eventually settled on the "Vision" cable by Nobunaga Labs, a palladium-plated 4N silver cable with eight cores. Ideally, I was looking for a pure silver or silver/copper mixed cable since, based on what I'd read, pure metals should always sound better than anything with plating. I'd also read that palladium-plating should have a bright and incisive sound, and that's not really my style, so I was surprised to discover that I actually really loved this cable, as I've never heard my Andros sound this good before. The sound is insanely detailed with a lovely sparkle, but I don't find it to be bright or fatiguing; in fact, it's very balanced with deep bass, clean mids, and a surprisingly precise headstage. I am in love. And the thing isn't even half burned in yet. Ordering from eBay to the US will run you about $400 iirc, but I paid $250.

Just goes to show that no amount of reading and theory can replace having a listen for yourself! I'm lucky enough to be able to travel in Asia where they actually have stores for these kinds of things; it's a shame that we have nothing like this at all in the US.

Attachments

• IMG_20231207_181022.jpg
    IMG_20231207_181022.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 1, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #9,822 of 9,829
I haven't noticed hiss with RS6, no.
But U can notice that, as I do :) HiBy just turnoff AMP section of RS6 in pause mode or switching between tracks. Play/generate file with silence - flac/mp3 WTV... U will be able to hear hiss... I promise :)

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #9,823 of 9,829
I used to use a Lavricables Ultimate IEM cable with my Andromeda 2020 but recently the left channel has gone dead. I'm eventually sending it back for repair but I'm traveling in Asia at the moment (first Wuhan, China, now I'm in a little town in Japan called Tajimi, north of Nagoya) and didn't want to be left without my Andromedas.

I took a visit to e-earphones in Nagoya where I had the opportunity to listen to five or six non-copper (or at least not pure copper) cables, and eventually settled on the "Vision" cable by Nobunaga Labs, a palladium-plated 4N silver cable with eight cores. Ideally, I was looking for a pure silver or silver/copper mixed cable since, based on what I'd read, pure metals should always sound better than anything with plating. I'd also read that palladium-plating should have a bright and incisive sound, and that's not really my style, so I was surprised to discover that I actually really loved this cable, as I've never heard my Andros sound this good before. The sound is insanely detailed with a lovely sparkle, but I don't find it to be bright or fatiguing; in fact, it's very balanced with deep bass, clean mids, and a surprisingly precise headstage. I am in love. And the thing isn't even half burned in yet. Ordering from eBay to the US will run you about $400 iirc, but I paid $250.

Just goes to show that no amount of reading and theory can replace having a listen for yourself! I'm lucky enough to be able to travel in Asia where they actually have stores for these kinds of things; it's a shame that we have nothing like this at all in the US.

With Andromeda, all bets are off with cable impressions with this IEM. They have such wild impedance curve that you have to just hear it with many cables out there to find the best one for your taste

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #9,824 of 9,829
Bumping this thread for a few positive comments about a non-Andromeda Andromeda, the Andromeda S, which I purchased direct from Campfire Audio-their second hand market site-perhaps about three years ago. I love it and have an emotional connection to it-a sad family loss that I cannot ever forget-so selling the Andromeda S is out of the question, and very much hope it lasts me a lifetime.

I love how it's balanced, top to bottom, utterly coherent despite "deviations" from most "experts" graphs targets. I enjoy these targets at times as a reference, but especially with my Andromeda S they do not tell the whole story. I remember being very, very pleased when I first listened to it, immediately fitting JVC Spiral Dots++ to it. Nowadays I am so used to it it is no longer a "shocking" revelation, but it remains a compelling, always convincing musical experience.

The S version is the only Andromeda I have ever listened to-haven't heard the "real," OG one, nor the 2019, 2020, Solstice, Emerald Sea, or latest Ponderosa (whether some of these are meant to be "true Andromeda" models by Campfire Audio, I cannot state.) Because I have come to enjoy it and appreciate more and more (rather than less, because it's supposed to be "outdated," and not "in" according the elite audiophile groupthink in charge of how good earphones are supposed to sound like), I cannot see myself even trying any other models in the "Andromeda" vein from Campfire Audio.

Things to note: Andromeda S do "disappear" in the ears, meaning they are not uncomfortable, but weight more than the others due to the stainless steel shell. So some tips may slip a bit off your natural-or preferred-position. This may account for how many find it perhaps too smooth in the highs, too "bassy" (not counting the output impedance matter, which still is a big factor), etc. With my preferred ear insertion on my unique ear canal and chosen tips-right now using Spinfit W1, though the Spiral Dot++ always sound good-it is very, very clear on top, and superbly airy. As soon as the Andro S angle or depth changes, it greatly affects airiness and the whole signature-which happens with many other IEMs, to be sure, and it's why one should take other "experts" impressions and graphs as loose guides, rather than "factual" statements (only you know how your ear canal works, what insertion depth is best, etc.-the "experts" do not take into account how *you* hear the reviewed IEM, nor your personal preferences.) So I would highly recommend my discontinued Andromeda S to others, but be mindful that it's picky about how it sits on your ear and eartips-not only output impedance!

Other CA models I have, in order of acquisition:
-IO (much hated by the good audio taste masters-amazing treble extension, unique experience)
-Mammoth (just a bit less despised by the same masters than IO, but I love it's upper mids, and the lower treble is actually quite nice)
-Jupiter, which I love and still use a LOT because of it's unique sound and lovely air at the top (I *think* even more air than Andromeda S)
-Atlas-a *superlative* IEM, with an amazing WOW factor, often unfairly described as a mere bass cannon? GREAT treble, quite normal sounding mids despite them not being the focus. These also are ones I cannot imagine in any way getting rid of. I do not understand "drive flex," and cannot state that I have experienced it with the Atlas-I would suggest to others to give this IEM a chance, rather than pay too much mind to that common complaint I so much read about.

(I may "have" the Holocene as well soon, but it was supposed to ship on March 15, and it never did. Was given the chance by Drop to cancel, and may do so if it keeps getting delayed. But very interested in owning it, especially at $379.)

All in all, do not understand the hate for this company, and am happy for the many, many hours of musical enjoyment Campfire Audio has brought to my life. Yes, I also love other brands, and understand "neutrality" and graphs. But all my CA IEMs have brought something special/unique to my collection, and I do not regret one bit any of my purchases so far.

On an unrelated, related note: anyone knows how the newer Ponderosa compares to Andromeda S (or other "real" Andromeda models), and the Cascara to the Atlas? I highly doubt the Cascara beats the Atlas, but was wondering if the Ponderosa is a "true Andromeda" on a budget, or if it's different enough that it's worth owning on its own.

(No offense intended with my comments-I respect reviewers as well, but elitism and mocking others for liking what they like *always* rubs me in the worst of ways.)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #9,825 of 9,829
All in all, do not understand the hate for this company, and am happy for the many, many hours of musical enjoyment Campfire Audio has brought to my life.

The hate goes deep with some influencers and their cult following. I don't even pay attention that lol. Those guys are missing out on some nice sounding stuff

On an unrelated, related note: anyone knows how the newer Ponderosa compares to Andromeda S (or other "real" Andromeda models), and the Cascara to the Atlas? I highly doubt the Cascara beats the Atlas, but was wondering if the Ponderosa is a "true Andromeda" on a budget, or if it's different enough than it's worth owning on its own.

While I haven't heard the Fathom, Ponderosa IMHO is not a true successor for Andromeda, more like Vega OG/Atlas with BA bass for me. Bonneville is somewhat a spiritual successor to it, but based on Fathom's sound signature and impression, I'd be more inclined to consider it as the true successor for Andromeda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back