Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 24, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #9,557 of 9,829
Jun 24, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #9,558 of 9,829
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...ion-with-campfire-audio.958379/#post-16424264

Definitely beautiful, but I'm curious about this - "The SOLARIS X is based on the popular Campfire Solaris 2020 IEM, but features a new custom Balanced Armature (BA) driver for high frequency response that was designed specifically for the AK SOLARIS X. This driver is smaller in size than the ones used in existing Solaris models. The new custom BA driver produces a more neutral response in comparison to the current Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 model."

I've been curious about the Solaris LE. I was kind of hoping for either the SE or LE tuning in the 2020 shell, but this definitely has my interest piqued.
Interesting that it has one less driver. I do wonder if the table there is the only real difference sound wise. Luckily that means I am not tempted by it as the Solaris 2020 didn't really do it for me.

Damn that red looks great though.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #9,559 of 9,829
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #9,560 of 9,829
No but they "AKd" the cable jack though...lol
I actually kind of prefer the 2.5mm termination though, for its versatility more than anything. I'm a big fan of the pure silver litz cable, it's one of the most ergonomic cables I have.

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #9,561 of 9,829
Interesting that it has one less driver.
That's how I read it at first but it seems as though there are two BA drivers, as with the previous Solari, but here the difference is that there's one for the higher frequencies; the second BA driver, then, is for the mids (see the "exploded view" diagram).

I know many who found the highs peaky...maybe this model remedies that.
I was one of those who found the treble too fatiguing and peaky. It was a great shame, really, as I'd hoped the smaller form factor would make for more comfort and I'd hoped the acoustic chamber would make for a tuning closer to the abalone SE version (which if I'm not mistaken is the version that introduced the acoustic chamber). Here's hoping this AK one is the best of all worlds - it looks the part.

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #9,562 of 9,829
That's how I read it at first but it seems as though there are two BA drivers, as with the previous Solari, but here the difference is that there's one for the higher frequencies; the second BA driver, then, is for the mids (see the "exploded view" diagram).
The non-AK Solaris has a dual-BA for the highs, so there is indeed one less driver in the AK Solaris.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #9,564 of 9,829

I was one of those who found the treble too fatiguing and peaky. It was a great shame, really, as I'd hoped the smaller form factor would make for more comfort and I'd hoped the acoustic chamber would make for a tuning closer to the abalone SE version (which if I'm not mistaken is the version that introduced the acoustic chamber). Here's hoping this AK one is the best of all worlds - it looks the part.
The OG Solaris also made use of acoustic chambers, the SE variant just used ceramic in the construction of these chambers.

Jun 25, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #9,565 of 9,829
The Satsuma are a no brainer. A minimalist keeper for sure. Vocal focused like the momentum tw2, i was hoping to find something like that in months.
GG CA !

In the other hand, honeydew seems way to bass heavy. The ier-Z1R are limit for my taste.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #9,566 of 9,829
I actually kind of prefer the 2.5mm termination though, for its versatility more than anything. I'm a big fan of the pure silver litz cable, it's one of the most ergonomic cables I have.

Ergonomically the silver litz was my favorite CA cable by far. It made my SE Solaris intolerably bright though, which is why I sold mine when I had one.

2.5 is convenient for when you do lots of swapping etc. with different cables and need to use adapters...in terms of a standalone preferred cable jack I much prefer 4.4 personally.

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #9,567 of 9,829
Yep, OG Vega is more a little less bassy and has a cleaner tone and a brighter sound. In particular, it has a large 8k peak which opens up its presentation but is considered harsh by some. The bass is similarly tuned, a few dB more forward on Honeydew. The OG Vega sounds more controlled to me, it is a more technically impressive earphone. The Vega also has a bit more vocal push in its midrange albeit not by much. Combined with its brighter treble, it comes across as more of an aggressive V-shaped sound while the Honeydew is more L-shaped with bass in greater proportion than its treble. I don't think the Honeydew provides a direct successor to the Vega nor the Vega 2020. Perhaps the Atlas is its nearest relative with simultaneously big bass and big treble.
Thanks! Now I wonder if the fit is better with the Honeydew... And are they worth buying if I already own the OG Vega...?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #9,568 of 9,829
Thanks! Now I wonder if the fit is better with the Honeydew... And are they worth buying if I already own the OG Vega...?

Judging by what I know about it, I'd say stick with the OG Vega and look at the Dorado or Equinox if you are looking for a true upgrade.

Maybe if you're looking for a cheaper counterpart to the Vega though.

I guess I've just had a negative experience with 2.5 (especially on DAPs). Breaks way too easy and 4.4 is much more secure and worthy the trade-off of size in my book.

The Satsuma are a no brainer. A minimalist keeper for sure. Vocal focused like the momentum tw2, i was hoping to find something like that in months.
GG CA !

In the other hand, honeydew seems way to bass heavy. The ier-Z1R are limit for my taste.

Like the minimalist focus. One of the reasons why my next grab was the Warbler Prelude to mix my many BA driver IEMs up.

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #9,569 of 9,829
Judging by what I know about it, I'd say stick with the OG Vega and look at the Dorado or Equinox if you are looking for a true upgrade.

Maybe if you're looking for a cheaper counterpart to the Vega though.
The Equinox look realllly nice but definitely out of my price range! Plus I usually like to try my IEMs to check the fit and SQ. Oh wait, these are custom IEMs, not sure I'm ready to go this far.

Yeah, I'm on the fence about getting a pair of "cheap" Honeydew. They're reasonably priced but I have no idea how they're gonna fit. It's kind of a gamble...

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #9,570 of 9,829
The Equinox look realllly nice but definitely out of my price range! Plus I usually like to try my IEMs to check the fit and SQ. Oh wait, these are custom IEMs, not sure I'm ready to go this far.

Yeah, I'm on the fence about getting a pair of "cheap" Honeydew. They're reasonably priced but I have no idea how they're gonna fit. It's kind of a gamble...

The shell, inspired by Vega 2020 and Dorado 2020 is definitely one of the comfiest IEM shells out there. You should be totally fine! Just the sound that matters. Do you want something like the Vega? Honeydew. Polar opposite? Satsuma.

The Atlas should give you a good idea of what Equinox sounds like. It's a big jump to custom for sure, took me two years of being seriously in the hobby to grab my first one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back