Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 19, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #9,031 of 9,829
Sep 19, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #9,033 of 9,829
Sep 19, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #9,035 of 9,829
Sep 19, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #9,036 of 9,829
Despite listening to pretty much all of Crin's S-tier list (just missing PP8 and Monarch), still think Andros are still one of the best.

Indeed they are. I similarly made my way through many of those IEMs and both of Campfire's flagships easily hold court with all of them...where you land is determined mostly by your own individual preferences.

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #9,038 of 9,829
How is the Solaris compared to the VE8?
I am thinking of the Solaris OG as used because it's way cheaper than the VE8.
Also, enjoying my Andromeda OG v1.5 with an EA Eros II.

The VE8 I owned was a rehshell so may not be totally representative of the real thing. I look forward to sorting this out for myself when I get them on tour. The VE8 has lusher more lifelike mids...this is really its selling point. The Andromeda and by extension the Solaris sacrifices a bit of this for more space between instruments and notes for the sake of its 3-d staging...so personal preference there. The VE8 also has that unbeatable coherence only possible (to my ears so far) with single driver type sets. It's about on par with Andro here. Conversely another big difference with Solaris relative to these two is its bass. The Andromeda is more similar to VE8 than Solaris is imho and the biggest factor in my personal preference for it is its bass-- Solaris is the only balanced hybrid I am aware of <$3k that successfully integrates BA and DD drivers in a coherent way. A big big factor in this for you will be what sort of music you listen to and what kind of sound you're looking for. It's conceivable that VE8 is the best choice for you and it's also conceivable that either of the two Campfire IEMs would meet your needs. Unfortunately and as usual the best way to tall will be for you to try for yourself. At least with Andro and Solaris it's pretty easy to find a good deal on the used market, which you can turn and sell at a minimal loss if you find they're not for you. The VE8 would be a much more tempting proposition for me personally if it was available as a universal.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #9,039 of 9,829
Problem is where i come from there are NO places to test them out.
Only option here is Wavaya and i haven't visited them yet.
I can find VE8 CIEM which I'll have to reshell, and never had a CIEM before.
So, if a reshell would mean that the sound may not be as intended them i'd be hard pressed to go that route from where I'm located.

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #9,040 of 9,829
Problem is where i come from there are NO places to test them out.
Only option here is Wavaya and i haven't visited them yet.
I can find VE8 CIEM which I'll have to reshell, and never had a CIEM before.
So, if a reshell would mean that the sound may not be as intended them i'd be hard pressed to go that route from where I'm located.
You could request a reshell into a universal shell. That way you’d still have the possibility to slightly tune w/eartips & cables. It would also be easier to sell if you find the overall tuning not to your liking.

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #9,041 of 9,829
You could request a reshell into a universal shell. That way you’d still have the possibility to slightly tune w/eartips & cables. It would also be easier to sell if you find the overall tuning not to your liking.

This was my initial thought.
But do they always reshell and sound is as intended by the maker?
Apologies, but in 2008 when i started the journey which i ended quite early I don't much remember customs.
Now i started buying again since March and the CIEM is new to me.
Wavaya are the porcelain customs which are made locally in Cyprus and have a friend over there.
Thinking of asking them if they can reshell to porcelain but I don't know if that might change the sound signature.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #9,042 of 9,829
I just got a pair of 2019 Andromedas over the weekend, and... wow. Wow wow wow wow. For the sake of reference, I have mostly been an over-ear listener (have or have had TH-X00 Mahogany, E-MU Teak, AKG K240 Sextett LP, Senn HD6XX, Meze 99 Noir, and Hifiman Sundara), but as I listen more to IEMs I find they're really quite compelling (have or have had Tin T2, JVC HA-FDX1, Moondrop Starfield, KZ Z10 Pro, Campfire Orion CK, and now these).

Holy wow. I love all the different headphones and their various sound signatures, but the Andromedas are simply amazingly detailed, and I finally get the concept of separation. I tested them out by A/B listening to tracks off of Rumours, first with the Orions and then the Andromedas. Orions sound great - don't get me wrong, they're a fantastic pair of IEMs - but the Andromedas, my goodness. I'd listen to, say, Never Going Back Again, think, "Man, this sounds good, what a beautiful sound signature," then I'd listen to it again on the Andromedas, and it was significantly better. I heard - and noticed, weirdly - instruments that I hadn't heard or noticed before.

Soundstage: check.
Bass (CLEAN): check
Separation: super check

Love them.

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #9,043 of 9,829
How is the Solaris compared to the VE8?
I am thinking of the Solaris OG as used because it's way cheaper than the VE8.
Also, enjoying my Andromeda OG v1.5 with an EA Eros II.

You get an airier signature than VE8 with the Solaris OG. Mids have more body and sounds lusher with VE8. Bass is basically DD vs BA bass. To me they're similar enough signature wise, Solaris had more subbass. Impact is pretty similar tough the VE8 is more coherent.

Then again most of what I can remember from the Solaris OG was with a Cleo Octa which tightened notes on the OG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back