Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 17, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #8,776 of 9,829
The Solaris 2020 does look very interesting, I quite like the small form factor.

I demo'd the OG Solaris sometime back and I quite liked it. The soundstage and presentation is quite unlike what I've heard in other units - very 3D, spherical and round with excellent layering and separation backed by an exciting DD bass. The only thing I did not enjoy was the stupidly big shell + poor fit. It's actually a nice compliment to the Andro (makes sense to own both as they sound rather different). Hoping the 2020 sounds the same w/ the small form factor, I'd consider that a potential buy.

Also, on another topic, it's quite odd how the ZX300 is such a good compliment to the Andro OG/S (in 4.4). While not the most technical, tonally it sounds very pleasing and adds some much needed bump in the bass + dynamics.

My main issue with Solaris (OG and 2020) is that the shell is much wider at the bottom where the sound bore is placed compared to Andromeda. Because of that, I cannot fit the IEM pointing straight to my canals compared to the smaller lower body that we get from many IEMs and Andromeda, and as such I have to angle the IEM pointing downward thus making me lose seal when I move around or when my ears get a little bit steamy. For me, I still can't consider Solaris 2020 until CA decides to make a smaller lower body that can fit my tragus and antitragus cavity without ear pain (Andromeda or any CA IEM with the same shell design as the Andromeda fits like a CIEM to my ears)

May 17, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #8,777 of 9,829
Also, on another topic, it's quite odd how the ZX300 is such a good compliment to the Andro OG/S (in 4.4). While not the most technical, tonally it sounds very pleasing and adds some much needed bump in the bass + dynamics.

Somewhere deep in the Solaris thread Ken himself and another employee at CFA both say they liked the ZX300 on balanced on the ZX300 for Solaris as well. It seems to be common around the office there. I hope my 2020 Solaris are happy with it as well.

When I had my Andro Golds using the 4.4 on the ZX300 was crazy rocket fuel. I had never see anything quite like it. Im not sure people even believed me back when they came out and I reviewed them. On the SE 3.5 it was a why did i really buy these? Then you switched to the 4.4 and it was like a lighting bolt. Those golds really loved that extra power coming out of the 4.4. I still really miss that sound and how exciting it was. But the sound stage was reduced to a more narrow cone and just couldn't complete with my OG Solaris for what I wanted.

May 17, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #8,779 of 9,829
No idea (some rumours about ZX300), but it sounds great w/ the ZX300/WM1A/WM1Z/A&K SP2000/A&K Kann Cube (new one).

Best sources I've found w/ my Andros. Calyx M is good too, the battery is very horrible though.

May 21, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #8,780 of 9,829
When I first got the Andromeda's about 18 months ago I couldn't stand them with silicone tips, too thin and reedy sounding. Ever since I've been using foam tips which were quite bulky and not the best fitting.
Thought I'd try silicone again after all this time and almost straight away they're completely different, detailed and bassier (wonder if Vega and Solaris would be too bassy), quite surprised and wondering if this is all down to use, have others found it normal for them to change like this after a good few months use?

May 21, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #8,781 of 9,829
When I first got the Andromeda's about 18 months ago I couldn't stand them with silicone tips, too thin and reedy sounding. Ever since I've been using foam tips which were quite bulky and not the best fitting.
Thought I'd try silicone again after all this time and almost straight away they're completely different, detailed and bassier (wonder if Vega and Solaris would be too bassy), quite surprised and wondering if this is all down to use, have others found it normal for them to change like this after a good few months use?

Tried all tips Symbio W Peels, Spiral Dots, Spinfits, Final E tips, stock foam tips from 2 years ago. Stayed with stock ultra-wide bore silicone tips since they sound the most open across the extreme ends. The stock silicone is definitely not for everyone though as DAPs with various OI can affect the FR curve but I find that stock silicone sounds perfect with 1.5 ohm (A&Ultima SP2000 unbalanced) to 0.075 ohm OI sources (Chord Mojo)

May 21, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #8,782 of 9,829
Tried all tips Symbio W Peels, Spiral Dots, Spinfits, Final E tips, stock foam tips from 2 years ago. Stayed with stock ultra-wide bore silicone tips since they sound the most open across the extreme ends. The stock silicone is definitely not for everyone though as DAPs with various OI can affect the FR curve but I find that stock silicone sounds perfect with 1.5 ohm (A&Ultima SP2000 unbalanced) to 0.075 ohm OI sources (Chord Mojo)

Tried most of those as well and currently using silicone ones supplied, small mushroom ones. RHA are also quite good, can't get on with Symbio's even after taking centres out.
For some reason one side needs near constant attention and angling up to sound clear, I don't get this with other iems.

When the sounds good it's very good but much of the time I'm having to adjust them, just wish they'd stay put.

May 21, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #8,783 of 9,829
Tips are a very personal matter.

CA's foam tips just suck for me, for both comfort and sound. The SpinFits are my go to for all IEMs, just because they fit me well, are very confortable in the long run (the Final E get itchy after a while) and just sound a lot more engaging than anything else. And yes, I also own Spiral Dot ++: they did nothing for me...

May 21, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #8,784 of 9,829
Tips are a very personal matter.

CA's foam tips just suck for me, for both comfort and sound. The SpinFits are my go to for all IEMs, just because they fit me well, are very confortable in the long run (the Final E get itchy after a while) and just sound a lot more engaging than anything else. And yes, I also own Spiral Dot ++: they did nothing for me...

Guess I'll have to try Spinfits, they get mentioned quite a lot. Are the sizes (overall) similar to other makes? As these things aren't cheap. Ditto with Spiral Dots.

May 21, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #8,787 of 9,829
Guess I'll have to try Spinfits, they get mentioned quite a lot. Are the sizes (overall) similar to other makes? As these things aren't cheap. Ditto with Spiral Dots.
spiral dots ML = Spin Fits L ( at least for my ears ) :wink: both worth a try , try spin fits cp100 ( 2019 model )

May 22, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #8,789 of 9,829
I‘m using the silicone tips from the beyerdynamic Xelento on the Andromedas. Also tried Spinal Dots, but imho these from the Xelento are offering the widest stage and perfect details in the highs

May 22, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #8,790 of 9,829
JVC Spiraldots ++ was my go-to for the Andromeda. The non ++ Spiraldots worked as well, but the silicon is stiffer than the ++.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back