Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 17, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #6,034 of 9,829
Oh ya, Headphone Bar will be at the Toronto Audiofest this weekend with their Campfire Audio lineup. Make sure you swing by to check it out. They’re going to be be seller for the Hiby R3/R6 as well so they might have some to demo.

Other notable vendors are Headfoneshop with Empire Ears, Final Audio and iFi stuff, Luna Cables for custom cables, FiiO for DAPs/amps, accessories and earphones and Focal/Grado for their headphones. Bunch of other high end vendors as well for home audio. Finally we get a show in Toronto :)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #6,035 of 9,829
How recently are you recently did you purchase the greens and did you buy them brand new?

Last month. Brand new from headphone bar! Haven’t used them much either because they exchanged the cable for me (the was a small scratch on the Litz on arrival and I’m really particular about keeping electronics nice). Didn’t get the replacement cable from ALO until last week so pretty much pristine.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #6,036 of 9,829
Last month. Brand new from headphone bar! Haven’t used them much either because they exchanged the cable for me (the was a small scratch on the Litz on arrival and I’m really particular about keeping electronics nice). Didn’t get the replacement cable from ALO until last week so pretty much pristine.

If it is that recent and you like keeping things pristine I do not think there is a real need to get the S just based on how quickly they seem to get scratched up and the loss of money from reselling them (potentially $2-400) especially if you paid 1500 after tax. They are still some of the best IEMs Out there. But, you should check them out this weekend yourself and make the choice (if the vocals are changed enough do what you feel is best). I plan on trying them out myself Friday morning when the show starts, I was going to buy them until Travis from Headphone Bar told me he would be at the show and there would be a show special.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #6,037 of 9,829
If it is that recent and you like keeping thing pristine I do not think there is a real need to get the S just based on how quickly they seem to get scratched up and the loss of money from reselling them (potentially $2-400) especially if you paid 1500 after tax. But, you should check them out this weekend yourself and make the choice. I plan on trying them out myself Friday morning when the show starts, I was going to buy them until Travis from Headphone Bar told me he would be at the show and there would be a show special.

Yeah I'm happy with them. I just miss more mid-centric headphones. So if it ends up that someone is interested I'll go for it, otherwise I'll be fine.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #6,039 of 9,829
Is the Andromeda S also as sensitive as the original? I’m referring to the hissing noises. And impedance picky. 1-2.5 Ohms like the original?

I’ll be able to test it at an audio show this weekend in Toronto :)
I think the sensitivity is the same. They are VERY sensitive, however with my sources, I have experienced no hissing. I suspect given the low impedance it is probably the same as the original. As I no longer have my original, I am just going by memory that their sensitivity is similar.
The sensitivity is a 2-edged sword, as they play very well from low-powered sources however a few of my sources require the volume to be down in the low non-linear region. I have never heard anyone complain of the Andros failing to provide desired volume!

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #6,040 of 9,829
I think the sensitivity is the same. They are VERY sensitive, however with my sources, I have experienced no hissing. I suspect given the low impedance it is probably the same as the original. As I no longer have my original, I am just going by memory that their sensitivity is similar.
The sensitivity is a 2-edged sword, as they play very well from low-powered sources however a few of my sources require the volume to be down in the low non-linear region. I have never heard anyone complain of the Andros failing to provide desired volume!

Thanks!

I was wondering because imo, IEMatch destroys the dynamics of it. However, for some reason it works really with the Orion :)

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #6,041 of 9,829
Duplicate reply

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #6,042 of 9,829
The sensitivity is a 2-edged sword, as they play very well from low-powered sources however a few of my sources require the volume to be down in the low non-linear region.

Max I'm comfortable with just the iPod Touch is 1/4! If I crank it up to 1/3 or higher, the mids/upper mids will sound shrill that it's not enjoyable to listen to anymore

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #6,043 of 9,829
I'm probably going to strike a nerve with some people, but you paid $1k for these IEMs. That's expensive!

If you examine other markets, where the number of units sold is much higher, you will realize that material cost for products made by integrating COTS components is nothing. Just look at how much "Made in Japan" photographic equipment you can get for $1,000 and even something like the Andromeda (which is priced very competitively in the current IEM market) will seem like a ripoff. Of course, due to the relatively small market for hi-fi, each unit will be priced higher to absorb more of the R&D costs, so it's hard for me to know what is fair and what is not (although I would venture to say the Tia is a ripoff :p), all I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't worry too much about how unhappy Ken will be about this, rather Ken should be worried about your unhappiness... you know, that old "the customer is always right" adage. :wink:

Yeah, you are right. I just dropped it off today at the service center. They couldn't hear the issue initially and told me I needed more burn in.:smirk: But after demonstrating to them, on low frequencies and high volume, there is a sharp high pitch sound. They immediately understood the problem. The technician said it is likely a loose BA or a loose wire hitting the shell causing vibration sounds at low frequencies.

I guess the local distributor will be in touch with CA very soon to verify the fault before replacing it with a new one. Hopefully, I will be lucky the third time round. I don't think they will be pleased seeing me coming back again.

Oh, I heard the equinox today at the service center. Nice but lacks the treble sparkle that is a must for me. If only they had a CIEM for the Andromeda.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #6,045 of 9,829
Campfire and others do make custom tips...

I've asked about Campfire's custom tips several times and it seems like they are too busy with their other projects recently so they directed me to Snugs.

I just got my Snugs custom tips for my Andromeda S a few days ago. The seal and sound isolation of the custom tips is nice but the tips are so hard to remove from my ears, they kind of stick to my ear canal so I have to pluck them out with some force. The soundstage seems smaller to me with the custom tips, but that's without doing a side by side comparison with the other tips I use.

By the way, I also love the Crystalline foam tips with the Andromeda S. That's a great alternative to the Final type E tips. Anyways I feel that custom tips on universal IEMs is still different from actual custom IEMs. If Campfire starts offering custom tips again, I'm willing to give it another try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back