Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jul 22, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #5,387 of 9,829
I have been also looking at upgrading. For what I have read Andromeda is very sensitive to cable changes given its high sensitivity. I want a bit more air and sparkle so I ordered the ALO Pure Silver balanced as well as the Massdrop Plussound Exo Gold+Silver balanced. I’m getting the ALO tomorrow and the Plussound won’t arrive until October. I can report back after trying the ALO Pure Silver.

What do you want the cable to change sound wise?

I also liked what people have to say about the Ref. 8 but decided against it because I don’t like memory wire and also because it’s fairly microphonic.

Also keep in mind that andromeda is sensitive to the source’s Output Inoedance (OI).

Maybe I purchased the same cable as you. Exo gold plated silver by plussound. I love it with the atlas but imo made the andromeda too smooth for my liking. It was a very unique sound that I could see many people enjoying quite a bit. Great build quality.

Thor silver II was a great pairing as well and it kept the treble tamed. I also enjoyed the ref8. For me it is a toss up between ref8 and thor ii. Ref8 if you want to keep the signature similar or thor ii to change it. If I were to choose Id probably go with thor.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #5,388 of 9,829
I want to throw my hat in the ring and recommend the EarStudio es100. It’s cheaper than an upgrade cable and will make a far bigger difference. For iPhone users, the AAC Bluetooth is indiscernible from being plugged in. Zero hiss, 3.5mm and 2.5mm connections, eq, long lasting battery life, tiny, and more for $100. It is better than any other portable unit <$500.

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #5,389 of 9,829
Maybe I purchased the same cable as you. Exo gold plated silver by plussound. I love it with the atlas but imo made the andromeda too smooth for my liking. It was a very unique sound that I could see many people enjoying quite a bit. Great build quality.

Thor silver II was a great pairing as well and it kept the treble tamed. I also enjoyed the ref8. For me it is a toss up between ref8 and thor ii. Ref8 if you want to keep the signature similar or thor ii to change it. If I were to choose Id probably go with thor.

The Exo Gold Plated Silver is different than the Exo Silver + Gold.

According to Plussound’s website, Gold Played Silver is “well rounded. Bright, with punchier bass. Excellent with all IEMs and Headphones”. Whereas, Silver + Gold “has the absolute best transparency sound staging, including quiet and broad bandwidth. Highs are refined and not fatiguing. Vocal projects well in a warm signature way. Bright, with impactful bass. Excellent with bass emphasized/dark sounding headphones”.

The Gold plated Silver is also a lot more expensive than the Silver+Gold.

I’m getting an ALO Pure Silver tomorrow and I’m quite curious how it sounds. I know many don’t like silver on iems wirh bakanced drivers. We’ll see!

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #5,390 of 9,829
I’ve got my Andro paired with a Ted Allen pure silver and am enjoying it.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #5,392 of 9,829
I have been also looking at upgrading. For what I have read Andromeda is very sensitive to cable changes given its high sensitivity. I want a bit more air and sparkle so I ordered the ALO Pure Silver balanced as well as the Massdrop Plussound Exo Gold+Silver balanced. I’m getting the ALO tomorrow and the Plussound won’t arrive until October. I can report back after trying the ALO Pure Silver.

What do you want the cable to change sound wise?

I also liked what people have to say about the Ref. 8 but decided against it because I don’t like memory wire and also because it’s fairly microphonic.

Also keep in mind that andromeda is sensitive to the source’s Output Inoedance (OI).

I am a treble fan too. Let me know your impression with both ALO Pure Silver balanced and Plussound Exo Gold+Silver balanced when you have them. I am not from USA, here shipping is very costly so can't afford return. So I will wait patiently and read more impression and make a choose one.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #5,393 of 9,829
" The double flange SpinFits go in deeper and they seem to be clearer and bassier at the same time. "

Double flange feels more clear and bassier? I haven't tried spinfit double flange yet, but listened to double flange that comes with RHA. To me it feels more punchy bass, but looses clarity. I really like the sharp treble from Foam tips from RHA, but haven't tried narrow shaped or smaller size yet, because they never fits my ear perfectly and not comfort. I saw Westone True-Fit Foam, some of those looks narrower probably I will have the right fit and I will try.
It's
Looking forward to hear your impressions about Symbio W.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #5,395 of 9,829

interested in the ' tamed treble ' idea. And how is the bass?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #5,396 of 9,829
I am a treble fan too. Let me know your impression with both ALO Pure Silver balanced and Plussound Exo Gold+Silver balanced when you have them. I am not from USA, here shipping is very costly so can't afford return. So I will wait patiently and read more impression and make a choose one.

I got the ALO Pure Silver today and have been using it for a few hours. So far I’m liking it a lot. I can’t compare to the stock Litz because the stock cable is not balanced and the Pure Silver has a 4.4mm bakanced plug. I’m using the ZX300 which has a considerably better balanced output compared to the single ended one. The balanced amp on the DAP is a bit tighter in general. So far the balanced ALO Pure silver seems what I was looking for. I can sense the tightness from the balanced output. However, the highs do seem a bit tighter than with the unbalanced stock Litz. I have been listening to bands like the Kinks and the Lumineers which often tend to be a bit bright sounding. So far they haven’t been overtly bright nor siblant.

I won’t receive the Plussound Silver+Gold until the end of October so the comparison will have to wait!

I forgot to mention, the ALO Pure Silver has better ergonomics than the stock Litz. First, it doesn’t have memory wire and second, it’s consoderably softer than the stock Litz!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #5,397 of 9,829
Picked up another Andromeda again.

AE2468E4-C126-4DD3-A0FF-00D4C3FDF56A.jpeg

Joining the cable talk. HFX Pure Silver Litz cable. Imo, it makes the Andromedas too thin and treble biased though. Also increased floor noise by a lot. Need to use IEMatch to compensate. However, sounds pretty good. I think a pure copper cable would balance the five BAs the best though.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #5,398 of 9,829
do you guys reckon the andromeda will be updated or a new model is coming out soon?

is the andromeda still one of the top iems at the price point being quite similar to open backed headphones even though it’s been released 2 years ago?

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #5,399 of 9,829
do you guys reckon the andromeda will be updated or a new model is coming out soon?

is the andromeda still one of the top iems at the price point being quite similar to open backed headphones even though it’s been released 2 years ago?

Nah, Andromeda still kicks butt at its price point. IMO, it's very hard to beat Andromeda at its price point in its technicalities

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #5,400 of 9,829
Picked up another Andromeda again.

Joining the cable talk. HFX Pure Silver Litz cable. Imo, it makes the Andromedas too thin and treble biased though. Also increased floor noise by a lot. Need to use IEMatch to compensate. However, sounds pretty good. I think a pure copper cable would balance the five BAs the best though.

GPC and SPC hybrid like Lionheart certainly brings the Andromeda's body to the next level with 1.7 ohm source impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back