Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jul 11, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #5,283 of 9,829
Thanks for the recommendations!

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Andromeda to 64audio U12?

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #5,284 of 9,829
I purchased the plussound exo 4 braid gold plated silver. It is a little confusing as I couldnt find any sound characteristics between the cables but I know I like silver the most. I am eager to hear what a little gold in the equation will sound like. Ill let you know. Another month probably until delivery.
Have you been able to compare the Plussound with the Ref 8 cable with the Andromeda?

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #5,285 of 9,829
Have you been able to compare the Plussound with the Ref 8 cable with the Andromeda?
Yes so the plussound gold plated silver made the andromeda very laid back. Smooth. Imo it made it too smooth for my liking. Listening to band of horses dsd I preferred the ref8 to plussound. Plussound is better built but I think ref8 and andromeda is a great combo and ref8 brings out the best of andromeda without changing too much. Plussound makes many cables so maybe a different cable would match better.

Plussound changes the sound quite a bit, have it paired with the atlas and I think it is a lovely pairing. Takes the edge off of atlas. This is coming out of wm1a 4.4.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #5,287 of 9,829
Honestly, the only thing I ever see possibly replacing the Andromeda is Empire Ears Legend X..

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #5,289 of 9,829
Honestly, the only thing I ever see possibly replacing the Andromeda is Empire Ears Legend X..

If you like warm and bass heavy, yes possibly. Not if you like a more balanced sound. I'd take an Atlas over LX on that front personally if you factor in cost. The LX is not great from a phone either, it needs amplification. I gave the 'replacing Andro' idea a shot this year, went to CanJam w/ my Andro lookin' for an upgrade. Now granted showroom conditions aren't ideal but nothing there tempted me to ditch the Andro.. not Atlas/LX/Phantom/Fourte/U12t/Trio/UE18+... the only IEM that had a huge wow factor vs Andro for me was the U18t at a cool 3x price. Seemed like nearly every vendor had Chord to pair so most of the listening was from a Mojo/H2.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #5,290 of 9,829
ref8 and andromeda is a great combo and ref8 brings out the best of andromeda without changing too much.

Yes, same feeling.

The ref 8 seems to be very "neutral" (I don't really like this term but... ) with Andromeda indeed.

Balanced version with my Aune m1s.

Very very good pairing if you are looking for accuracy and transparency without any obvious colouration, as I think.

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #5,291 of 9,829
Yes, same feeling.

The ref 8 seems to be very "neutral" (I don't really like this term but... ) with Andromeda indeed.

Balanced version with my Aune m1s.

Very very good pairing if you are looking for accuracy and transparency without any obvious colouration, as I think.
Have you tried the ALO Litz with balanced connection? I wonder how it differed from the Ref. 8

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #5,292 of 9,829
All this talk about Band of Horses I’ve never heard of them before (not my typical style of music) but got out Spotify on my iPhone 7 —>xdsd—>Andromedas and listened to the live show at the Ryman and wow these sound AMAZING even at 320 mp3.
These Andros do not have a weakness and these have me thinking about parting with my Lyra II in the future if theyre not getting any use.

When I bought these to compliment my Lyra II and cascades which have much more bass and are both incredible on their own (especially cascades)and thought the andormedas would be used for acoustic/vocal music only but I honestly love Tupac Drake Kendrick Lamar just as much as Michael Jackson Norah Jones Adele all on one IEM.
I still like the Lyras a lot and definitely have that DD impact/punch but they do not touch the vocals highs soundstage and just how well they cohesively work together like in the Andros

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #5,293 of 9,829
Jul 12, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #5,294 of 9,829
so far, the only iem i have auditioned that has most of andro's "goodness" and improved on its weaknesses (bass texture, thinner than natural upper mids, slightly sharp treble) is the vision ears ve8. Others tend to be better than andros in some but not all parameters and often offer alternate perspectives to it.

Jul 12, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #5,295 of 9,829
Just wondering how the Noble Katanas compare to the Andromeda. I’m really happy with the Andromeda but one ear doesn’t seem to fit as well as the other with the piece slipping loose occasionally. The other ear fits perfectly. Between that and just the simple desire to try new things I am curious about the Katanas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back