Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Apr 22, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #4,936 of 9,829
I've been using an old iPhone 6 with a 3 ohm output impedance as a DAP for the Andromedas but have been thinking of swapping it out for an Android smartphone with a similarly low noise floor and neutral-to-bright sound signature. What phone models do people use for that purpose? The LG G5 and the Xiaomi Note 5 have caught my interest, but I don't know what they actually sound like with the Andromedas.

Is there any concern about the nozzle length on the andromeda? Seems quite short.

It's pretty short. With Spiral Dot tips, when my ear canals are dry, I find myself having to bend the memory wire just right to maintain a good seal. With Comply tips, that isn't as much of a problem.

Apr 23, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #4,938 of 9,829
Is anyone using the Andromeda with the Campfire lightning cable? How does it perform?

I found no review but just some answers. It "seems" to be almost the same: just "slightly" better on the bass section.

Personally, I gave up and I bought today the Ref 8 with a 3.5mm cable. I don't want to stuck with Apple in a such way, if I would bought the lightning cable.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #4,940 of 9,829
Just rec'd a new package...perfect timing on Friday. It's going to be a great weekend.
upload_2018-4-27_12-47-48.png

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,941 of 9,829
Mine arrived last night and I have been playing with Spiral Dots and Symbio etc..as well as tinzel balanced vs. stock Litz SE. The problem is all of my other cables are 2-pin.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #4,943 of 9,829
I have been finding that spinfits work pretty nicely for me.

I have to revisit Norne Audio. Haven't purchased a cable from Trevor for a while. I'm either looking at the Silvergarde or an 8-wire Therium...works of art.
Christian at Plussound also has some pretty impressive stuff, huge configurations available.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #4,945 of 9,829
Any suggestions regarding cables and tips you can offer is greatly appreciated.
I have the Ref8 Balanced and SXC Balanced and find I like the SXC better, bass is deeper and clearer.

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #4,949 of 9,829
The silver dragon is very nice. Great extension at top end and adds some silkyness to the overall sound. Biggest change was more air around instruments and the way it brings out female vocals. Great price too; only con i can think of is its not braided and I like the braided look.

It was the cable that made me a believer in cables. Good upgrade and affordable. Some people like copper and some silver; im definitely a silver guy. Only tried it briefly as i keep them on my shure 535. Ive had it since sept and no issues in build quality yet.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #4,950 of 9,829
Silver cables are know to increases the top end more than copper or silver plated copper. For example for the LCD-X I use the Black Dragon which keeps the top end under control. I found that the Silver Dragon made my W50 unbearable as the top end was too bright. For that reason I wouldn't think of trying it again with the Andromeda since it's a BA like the W50.

I've purchased the Ref8 and SXC balanced and found the the SXC is great match for the Andromeda and Vega. The only downside to the SXC8 is that the cable is much thicker than the Ref8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back