Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #4,923 of 9,829
Just upgraded the stock cable for balanced Effect Audio Leonidas. I thought that the stock cable is good but after plugging in the Leonidas, I think that stock litz cable is insufficient. As a bonus, I didn't know what to do with the replaced cable....:) My monks rocks now! IMG_3736.jpgIMG_3737.jpgIMG_3738.jpg

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #4,924 of 9,829
Apple users can use the lightning dongle to darken the sound too. It’s my preferred way with my 6s+

Oh man... I tried the Samsung S9 (EU with Cirrus Logic) and it sounds much better than the iPhone X / Apple Dongle: more clarity, air, soundstage and definition.
Now I miss that sound and I don't know what to do because I would change the iPhone for the Samsung. Otherwise, I found no one *very portable DAC* that can sounds so good.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #4,925 of 9,829
Oh man... I tried the Samsung S9 (EU with Cirrus Logic) and it sounds much better than the iPhone X / Apple Dongle: more clarity, air, soundstage and definition.
Now I miss that sound and I don't know what to do because I would change the iPhone for the Samsung. Otherwise, I found no one *very portable DAC* that can sounds so good.
I have the iPhone X and hate the way it sounds with the dongle too. Even running it through a mojo it doesn't get better. I think the issue is the iPhone X.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #4,926 of 9,829
I have the iPhone X and hate the way it sounds with the dongle too. Even running it through a mojo it doesn't get better. I think the issue is the iPhone X.
That’s very odd, is it the source file itself? A dac/amp will sound the same regardless of what it is plugged into as long as the music files are the same digitally.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #4,927 of 9,829
I’ve been using the EarStudio es100 for a couple weeks and am very happy with it paired to my andros and Vega. Zero hiss. I encourage anyone to take a look at it.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #4,928 of 9,829
That’s very odd, is it the source file itself? A dac/amp will sound the same regardless of what it is plugged into as long as the music files are the same digitally.
The upper treble extension is what's responsible for the airiness and wide soundstage of the Andromedas, and the low output impedance (~.6 ohms) of the dongle and the very low OI of the Mojo (.1 ohms) would darken the sound and recess the treble relative to the bass. The dongle also outputs a slight amount of audible noise that could potentially mask said treble further. I don't perceive a narrower soundstage, but I can understand why others might.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #4,929 of 9,829
The upper treble extension is what's responsible for the airiness and wide soundstage of the Andromedas, and the low output impedance (~.6 ohms) of the dongle and the very low OI of the Mojo (.1 ohms) would darken the sound and recess the treble relative to the bass. The dongle also outputs a slight amount of audible noise that could potentially mask said treble further. I don't perceive a narrower soundstage, but I can understand why others might.
I was referring to the idea of the iphoneX being the cause, as those issues would arise on iPhone 8, a pc, or whatever.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #4,930 of 9,829
I was referring to the idea of the iphoneX being the cause, as those issues would arise on iPhone 8, a pc, or whatever.
Multi-BA IEMs are very sensitive to the output impedance of the source, the Andromeda especially so. Just a few ohms' difference can significantly change its sound signature, so it's more than plausible that the Andromeda would sound different out of the Apple dongle versus the Samsung S9.

Personally, I also like bringing out my old iPhone 6 with its 3 ohm OI 3.5mm output to use as a DAP with the Andros from time to time.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #4,931 of 9,829

That's really interesting for me, thank you for the explanation!

It is really so that I felt the iPhone be darker than the Samsung which, again, sounds for me noticeably better than the iPhone.

By the way, I tried for a long time the mojo, the Oppo HA-2SE and the DragonFly Red with the iPhone, Samsung and the PC and there was no difference at all between them.

Sorry for this noob question: Is it not possible to "solve" the problem about the darker sound because of the iPhone's low output impedance through an EQ in a music player? Also, have you tried others music apps such as VOX, Onkyo HF or KaiserTone where the sound is "better" than in the apple music stock app?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #4,935 of 9,829

Users who are viewing this thread

Back