Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Dec 25, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #4,726 of 9,829
Love the iDSD Micro Black Label. It has iFi's IEMmatch built in, which eliminated any hiss. And it gives you an output impedance of between 1-2 ohms which is the sweet spot for Andromeda. iDSD is also incredibly versatile. On different settings it pairs great with my Vegas, Senn HD6XX and even my HE-560 planars.

One reason Mojo may be too dark is its lower output impedance, higher than 2 ohm makes the Andromeda too bright. Sources are tricky with Andromeda for 2 reasons: hiss and needing 1-2 ohm output impedance.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #4,727 of 9,829
My favorite output device for Andro is Opus #2, although bass might be too much for certain tracks for some of us here, but Andro output has very clean bass, very good quality I find. This player outputs very good separation and sound stage quite wide(and probably the widest outputting portable device I've used), and I've tried many players. Underneath the high priced TOTL portable devices, Opus #2 is the best in it's price range in terms of resolution output, and general performance. Transient response out of Opus #2 is something else.

Opus #2 and Andro is the right pairing, no denying that.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #4,728 of 9,829
I like it with my AK70, no hisses at all. Don’t like it with the Mojo, with or without the iEMatch.

And I was really surprised to find that it sounds really good straight out of the iPhone adapter (yeah, the $9 adapter). The bass may be too strong for some, but I really enjoyed it. I checked that the output impedance of the Apple adapter was about 1 ohm, so it probably brought the bass up a bit.

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #4,729 of 9,829
I like it with my AK70, no hisses at all. Don’t like it with the Mojo, with or without the iEMatch.

And I was really surprised to find that it sounds really good straight out of the iPhone adapter (yeah, the $9 adapter). The bass may be too strong for some, but I really enjoyed it. I checked that the output impedance of the Apple adapter was about 1 ohm, so it probably brought the bass up a bit.

I also like it through the adapter. Even though my iPhone 6s+ has a 3.5mm jack the adapter sounds better (to my ears) and has zero hiss.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #4,732 of 9,829
I'm pairing my andros with my ifi micro bl. However when I pause the music, a few seconds later I head some popping/static in the left iem. It happens if I stop playing music and my phone is still 'on' (meaning screen is on)

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #4,733 of 9,829
How does the Penon compare to the stock Campfire cable?
Hard for me to say, I’ve had the CB13 on them for a long time and only just switched over to the Penon. I’ve been using the Campfire cable with my Ibasso IT01/DX90 and that is a pretty awesome set up for me while I work. Not sure if @ExpatinJapan has checked out the Penon cable yet, but he has some great reviews of the ALO cables. The Penon cables MMCX connectors are a little looser compared to the ALO connectors but no problems with the sound cutting out. Comes with a very nice wooden box, felt pouch, 2.5 balanced to 3.5mm single ended cable connector and a steel shirt clip. I’ll try and put the Amp 1 back on and compare the cables over the next couple of days and come back with some info. I’ve been wanting to get the Ref 8 cable, but as my friend was going to Hong Kong, he picked up the Penon cable for me and I’m very happy he did :ksc75smile:

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #4,734 of 9,829
I'm pairing my andros with my ifi micro bl. However when I pause the music, a few seconds later I head some popping/static in the left iem. It happens if I stop playing music and my phone is still 'on' (meaning screen is on)

Anyone else experiencing this?
I don’t use my phone for music, but have tried my Andro’s in my iPhone 6plus and was quite surprised to hear all kinds of popping/static. They are that sensitive, I think they may pick up all kinds of mobile interference. Mobile phones are constantly sending and receiving signals even when we’re not using them:triportsad:

Dec 27, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #4,735 of 9,829
What do you think about the Oppo HA-2SE with Andromeda?

...it seems to be very good: https://headfonics.com/2017/02/the-ha-2se-by-oppo/2/

"
Campfire Andromeda
Efficiency
Not a completely black background though significantly lower than the original HA-2 pairing so in some ways a success given the Andromeda, for me, is more sensitive than even the SE846. You also will not need to go far in terms of volume in low gain for the Andromeda.

Tonality
This is a cracking pairing with excellent resolution, tremendous low-end power, and top notch musicality. I can live with this with or without the bass boost depending on my mood. Boosted doesn’t seem to muddy the sound terribly and adds a bit more weight important for genres that need a sense of low-end girth to come alive such as dark Synthwave (Dynatron, Dance with the Dead) and thrash metal (Megadeth, Slayer et al). The cleaner somewhat brighter treble performance of the HA-2SE over the HA-2 also gels well with the excellent articulation and extension of Andromeda’s treble response."

Do you know a better solution? I need a DAC to pair with the iPhone.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #4,736 of 9,829
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #4,738 of 9,829
Been enjoying my Andromeda for 2 weeks. First IEM which does everything right for me.
Huge soundstage and great imaging, airy sound without harshness and sibilance. Vocals are placed upfront and sound intimate and very good bass extension.
Best case ever, much more practical than pelicases and it looks and feels great fitting the pricetag of the IEM's. And the little Campfire looks way better in real than on the pictures. I really dig the design.
For the cable I can't refrain from using superlatives.
To sum it up, I love these IEM's.

Jan 9, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #4,739 of 9,829
Been enjoying my Andromeda for 2 weeks. First IEM which does everything right for me.
Huge soundstage and great imaging, airy sound without harshness and sibilance. Vocals are placed upfront and sound intimate and very good bass extension.
Best case ever, much more practical than pelicases and it looks and feels great fitting the pricetag of the IEM's. And the little Campfire looks way better in real than on the pictures. I really dig the design.
For the cable I can't refrain from using superlatives.
To sum it up, I love these IEM's.
I felt the same when I got mine six months ago and still feel the same now. Couldn’t believe how smooth and detailed they are. They still put a big grin on my face :ksc75smile:
Still think the green is the best colour and the build quality is something some other company’s should aspire to.
This is how a product can turn out with plenty of time, r&d, patience and pride.
All I need now is the Vega to keep em company :L3000:

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #4,740 of 9,829
AM3A of Fiio X7II has OI of 1.7 ohms from Balanced. Sounds better than SE which I think is 1 ohm.

That's funny, I've been going back and forth between balanced and se on that setup. To me so far the se is better, just a bit fuller on the low end. Andromeda are the only phones I think I like se better out of that player, but they're also still new enough that I'm still sorting out best tips for me so not set on this yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back