Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jan 9, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4,741 of 9,829
That's funny, I've been going back and forth between balanced and se on that setup. To me so far the se is better, just a bit fuller on the low end. Andromeda are the only phones I think I like se better out of that player, but they're also still new enough that I'm still sorting out best tips for me so not set on this yet.

The SE has lower OI. So it will be bassier for sure. Andromedas are extremely sensitive and affected by impedance swings. I sometimes will change depending on preference, I've got an adapter for changing BO to SE on my Ref 8 cable. When I want space in the sound I will definitely go for BO though.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #4,743 of 9,829
Is it safe to remove memory wire from original cable ?
I'm not a fan of memory wire and if it's not to hard to remove it, I'm gonna try it.

I removed it from mine, though it's a process not for the faint of heart. The memory wire is the only single reason that I haven't picked up the Ref 8 cable. I'm not confident enough to take my chances with a more expensive aftermarket cable.

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #4,746 of 9,829
I would like to ask you for a comparison of sound of CA Andromeda IEM and Hifiman X V2 headphones. X V2 are my favourite headphones. Can Andromeda reach their musicality? What makes X V2 so musical? The body weight and smooth, well ballanced, effortless, consistent sound presentation. It just flows... Is Andromeda similar to it, and if not, what earphones are?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #4,749 of 9,829
I would like to ask you for a comparison of sound of CA Andromeda IEM and Hifiman X V2 headphones. X V2 are my favourite headphones. Can Andromeda reach their musicality? What makes X V2 so musical? The body weight and smooth, well ballanced, effortless, consistent sound presentation. It just flows... Is Andromeda similar to it, and if not, what earphones are?
I think one of the largest draw is the provided warmth from the low-end on the Andro, this provides a sig away from clinical toward the natural. Depending on preference, is the warmth desirable or not? So, it has a bit of body in the sound.

If you strip off that warmth, it's going to much different tonality.

Andro's bass response can depend on the source(impedance, etc..), also the general sound sig is largely tip dependent as well. Once you get those in a optimal state, you've squeezed out whatever you could out of it, and it's worthwhile.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #4,750 of 9,829
This has probably been discussed at length already and YMMV as usual, but I've been using the Symbio-W tips for the past few weeks and they are incredible for me. Got them off eBay, 3~4 weeks delivery to CA but worth the wait. I used to switch off between SpinFits and Kinden foams. I found myself using foams more often, maybe 75% of the time. It added a tinge of warmth to the neutral signature which I enjoyed, but it also marginally sacrificed treble sparkle -- vice versa for the SpinFits. The Symbio is a perfect middle ground of both IMO. Already ordered two back-up pairs.

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #4,751 of 9,829
This has probably been discussed at length already and YMMV as usual, but I've been using the Symbio-W tips for the past few weeks and they are incredible for me. Got them off eBay, 3~4 weeks delivery to CA but worth the wait. I used to switch off between SpinFits and Kinden foams. I found myself using foams more often, maybe 75% of the time. It added a tinge of warmth to the neutral signature which I enjoyed, but it also marginally sacrificed treble sparkle -- vice versa for the SpinFits. The Symbio is a perfect middle ground of both IMO. Already ordered two back-up pairs.

Thanks for the impressions! Looking forward to getting mine, almost been 3 weeks since I ordered them. Comply foams muffled the treble too much for me; that plus low durability led me to use Spinfits instead. Really hoping the Symbio are a good compromise.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #4,752 of 9,829
I find the symbios to isolate better than JVC Spiral Dots. But the spiral dots are more comfortable. They sound similar-ish; symbios have more pronounced bass due to better fit and spiral dots have slightly better treble.

How do you guys deal with the condensation at the nozzles? Past few months i've just been wiping it down with q tips once i'm done, and placing a desiccant into the case.

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #4,753 of 9,829
If you look at the bore sizing, Spiral Dots are wider. I think Symbio and the stock foam has the optimal bore sizing for optimal response and imaging.

The mids would be considered on the warm side(depending on the source) and the symbio elevates the highs a bit bring up the articulation within the mids to the treble for this case.

It can sound a bit bloomy and mids will sound like it depending on the output impedance. This is due to the way low frequencies interaction with OI.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #4,754 of 9,829
These BA drivers and given their possible changes in impedance response, I cannot count on them to be reference and this depends on if the impedance response is nonlinear. The earphone has to be constant in response to get a feel of the sources, and if it not, it's not a reference.

We may think a change in FR out of various sources it's the source's doing. Not completely true.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back