Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 10, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #2,761 of 9,829
No offense, please; but we have heard of two such failures. If we are conservative and state that Campfire has made 1000 units, then we are looking at a failure rate of 0.2%.

I also know that Campfire has probably produced well over 1000 units; and other failures are not reported on this site. I would take a 99.8% success rate in pretty much any business that doesn't produce life-saving items.

I agree!

I want to chime in here with some thoughts, in no specific order....

Given that posts can much more easily be misunderstood than face-to-face verbal communication, I did not find that he was joking about it.  I interpreted it to be a cautionary claim about what and how one posts about products and manufacturers on this or any similar site.  While no one wants a defective product-incluoding the sellers and builders of such products, it must also be recognized that what one "says on the internet" has consequences.  Peeople ARE responsible for the consequences of their acts.  (For example, the post presenting the pix of the de-nozzled iems may show up in casual web searches, and, overall, paint a potentially inaccurate picture of the iem's quality, and any subsequent efforts on the part of the vendor or maker to make it right.  This can cause harm to legitimate, quality businesses.  Just sayin'.)

I really feel for the person whose Andromedas broke. While it is uselful for consumers to know of such events, it is also primarily a private matter between the customer and the seller.  The post showing the damage does not indicate whether they were purchased new from an authorized dealer, There is no mention of whether he has contacted ALO/Campfire to get them repaired or replaced......   

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #2,762 of 9,829
The guy is just sharing a disappointing failure. It might do a disservice but it could also protect other consumers by sharing. I know the party train doesn't like dissent but it is valid if you want to be able to trust the forums to provide accurate assessments

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #2,763 of 9,829
The guy is just sharing a disappointing failure. It might do a disservice but it could also protect other consumers by sharing. I know the party train doesn't like dissent but it is valid if you want to be able to trust the forums to provide accurate assessments

This. It seems like people here are advocating censorship without realizing it skews the reports in favor of the manufacturer. For example nobody has claimed that positive experiences should not be posted on forums, only the negative ones should not be. All experiences should be reported so that the aggregate data provides a more transparent picture.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #2,764 of 9,829
I'm excited to get my pair but since this is a known issue and recall hearing it was an early batch epoxy problem(iirc), this pair might be one of the afflicted. If more recent delivery, then this is really good info to share. That would make it sound like a cavity needs to be milled to reduce the torsion between those to pieces. I would hate to have this happen out of the one year warranty.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,765 of 9,829
This. It seems like people here are advocating censorship without realizing it skews the reports in favor of the manufacturer. For example nobody has claimed that positive experiences should not be posted on forums, only the negative ones should not be. All experiences should be reported so that the aggregate data provides a more transparent picture.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

I am not one for advocating censorship.  My thought is that if you are going to post a problem with a product, give all of the relevant details- and give the involved parties a fair chance to "fix" the situation.  

We live in interesting times wherein massive amounts of 'information' are available to us.  Alas, without the necessary tools to properly interpret it in many cases. I am not claiming any posts on this thread fit into any of the following categories. There is, in my opinion, lots of space between the end-points of altruistic whistleblower and using an internet post in a way that is tantamoount to bullying/blackmail.  I also think it requires some argument to establish what information people have some right to know, whether it is easy to disseminate on the web or not.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #2,766 of 9,829
I am not one for advocating censorship.  My thought is that if you are going to post a problem with a product, give all of the relevant details- and give the involved parties a fair chance to "fix" the situation.  

Granted, the fellow said 'this just happened'. The part you are discussing is a little further down the line. Regardless of how great the service is, which others are praising, it doesn't discount the fact it happened but glad he shared since it make me feel more confident in it being fixed in the current batch being produced

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #2,767 of 9,829

We live in interesting times wherein massive amounts of 'information' are available to us.  Alas, without the necessary tools to properly interpret it in many cases. I am not claiming any posts on this thread fit into any of the following categories. There is, in my opinion, lots of space between the end-points of altruistic whistleblower and using an internet post in a way that is tantamoount to bullying/blackmail.  I also think it requires some argument to establish what information people have some right to know, whether it is easy to disseminate on the web or not.

So are you saying that the typical Head fi viewer looking at that post isn't sophisticated enough to discern it as an outlier?

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #2,768 of 9,829
Granted, the fellow said 'this just happened'. The part you are discussing is a little further down the line. Regardless of how great the service is, which others are praising, it doesn't discount the fact it happened but glad he shared since it make me feel more confident in it being fixed in the current batch being produced

I sometimes have a tendency to react to a specific post, in large part not because of the exact comntent of that post per se, but because of a perceived trend or pattern that 'bugs" me.  That is, a specific post prompts me to make a more general comment/rant/whatever....  I sometimes also do not do a good job explaining or revealing that aspect of my comment.

That said, I think there are serious considerations that need to be addressed and that people should have in mind before/when posting on Head-Fi or any similar site.  They are real problems.  For example, I think that if you have a legitimate problem with a product/service, step one is to contact the provider and ask for a fair resolution.If that does not work out properly, or the replacement has the same issue, at that point perhaps, it is time to post the facts of the matter, for the benefit of others who might be simialrly affected.  It is tricky because if no one posts the problems, it could be widespread, but not known.  Not sure how to get around that issue, but I think people need to be mindful of how they present such info on the web.  Providing good products and services is how many good people put food on their tables and feed their families.  This can be easily shattered by thoughtless, unfair posts on the web. Again, I am not saying that this happened here, but the accusation is always on 'page 1', while the retraction is either not forthcoming, or gets buried in the middle of the forum.

More importantly, if that guys bought them new under warranty, I wish him a speedy remedy.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #2,769 of 9,829

That said, I think there are serious considerations that need to be addressed and that people should have in mind before/when posting on Head-Fi or any similar site.  

They are real problems.  For example, I think that if you have a legitimate problem with a product/service, step one is to contact the provider and ask for a fair resolution.If that does not work out properly, or the replacement has the same issue, at that point perhaps, it is time to post the facts of the matter, for the benefit of others who might be simialrly affected.  It is tricky because if no one posts the problems, it could be widespread, but not known.  Not sure how to get around that issue, but I think people need to be mindful of how they present such info on the web.  Providing good products and services is how many good people put food on their tables and feed their families.  This can be easily shattered by thoughtless, unfair posts on the web. Again, I am not saying that this happened here, but the accusation is always on 'page 1', while the retraction is either not forthcoming, or gets buried in the middle of the forum.

More importantly, if that guys bought them new under warranty, I wish him a speedy remedy.

I understand how the negative has the ability to outweigh the positive but we have to also be careful about sheltering the bad with the tremendous good they have gotten. It is still a relatively new product and long term usage might show this being a weak spot that needs to be addressed. As mentioned, if a problem and this hits outside of the year warranty period, I'd be furious to know I could have had a known issue remedied but people were not sharing. 

Once a forum turns fan boy, it's credibility falls tremendously. The only way to prevent that is to encourage sharing with the community as long as it is not found to be incendiary or libelous.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #2,770 of 9,829

Someone's top of the line iems broke through no fault of his own, and you joke about it. Not cool.

To be fair, i did also post that Campfire Audio have excellent customer service and to get in contact with them.

Whenever a friends audio item is faulty or breaks I always urge them first to get in touch with the company to find a solution before posting on forums and social media.

As others have noted its an isolated case amongst 1000s of units.

As i suggested that Campfire Audio would no doubt fix the problem it was obvious that my main concern was to help find a solution to the problem, not to make light of it.

But anyways, we see what we see

Regards
Expat

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #2,774 of 9,829
Was just trawling through some Japanese websites and I noticed that they indicated back in May (!) that the Campfire Audio Lyra was being discontinued due to manufacturing processes. Anyone heard something similar. Would be a pity for the only dynamic driver model to be put out to pasture.

regards,

Giles

I agree that would be unfortunate. Only Ken is able to confirm or deny that for certain. I can say that after several hundred hours, the Lyra's have become one of my all-time favorite IEM's. The fit is very comfortable, even more so than my Andromeda. I am currently using the Linum Bax cable and some very soft wide-bore tips. Initially, they were quite bassy, but over time, have become very nicely balanced across the audio spectrum while still delivering the sense of impact and weight one perceives in a well-designed concert hall.

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #2,775 of 9,829
Haha, you mean singing praises only? How is this OT since discussing the one of the IEM this thread is about?

I'm hoping to be doing so as soon as mine are shipped to me.

No, I do not mean that. I'm talking about How there were so many posts discussing whether or not someone should post a negative post like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back