Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jul 7, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #1,967 of 9,829
  Cut the wires!!!!!!!!!  This new Westone Bluetooth cable works with any mmcx based IEM/CIEM (just quickly tested it with Andromeda, Oriveti, P1, Pristine, and Sirius).

I have tested various BT dongles in the past, but don't recall anything that came that close to matching wired vs wireless performance with the same set of IEMs/CIEMs.  Not exact 100% match driving Andromeda from LPG vs driving from Westone BT Cable since there is obvious difference between PAW Gold amp section and DAC built into this wireless cable, but it's seriously close.  You do get a bit more hissing, but the whole bandwidth is encoded/decoded accurately without significant losses of the low end and the top end (notorious issue with bt compression when you compare wired vs wireless).

Overall, awesome pair up with Andromeda
biggrin.gif

I'm so excited about this wireless solution! Could you comment further on

- Sound quality compared to wired mode
- Source compatibility (iPhones do not support APTX I believe)
- Ergonomics and build quality (weight, cable suppleness, button responsiveness, cable length & fastener, memory wires, connection security)
- Battery life
- Any extra features (Siri, track/volume control)

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,968 of 9,829
Surprisingly found a demo of the Andromeda in a shop today, so far there have been no stock anywhere and only preorders with no ETA are taken. Sound was incredibly open, spacious, soaring, with very extended treble that has no sharpness or sibilance. Bass was very clean and still impactful. Soundstage was way above average and clarity was astounding. Overall I find it quite neutral, not euphonic like the K10 but still enjoyable in its own way. I find it neither bright nor dark but not flat our boring either. One of the best TOTL buys out there at the moment judging from cost performance ratio, there are other iems costing twice of this but not significantly better. 

The fit was fine and I did not find the nozzle / canal too short nor the edges too sharp like some have reported. What bothered me was how easily those finely machined angles / bezels / edges get chipped, damaged, and have their color / finish scrapped off. The demo unit looked absolutely worn out and like all other Campfire Audio iems it looked more weathered than other brand's iems. Now is it just a rumor that a generation 2 Andromeda is being worked on and will come out soon (with more rounded edges and a better canal fit and general durability)? 

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #1,969 of 9,829
  Surprisingly found a demo of the Andromeda in a shop today, so far there have been no stock anywhere and only preorders with no ETA are taken. Sound was incredibly open, spacious, soaring, with very extended treble that has no sharpness or sibilance. Bass was very clean and still impactful. Soundstage was way above average and clarity was astounding. Overall I find it quite neutral, not euphonic like the K10 but still enjoyable in its own way. I find it neither bright nor dark but not flat our boring either. One of the best TOTL buys out there at the moment judging from cost performance ratio, there are other iems costing twice of this but not significantly better. 

The fit was fine and I did not find the nozzle / canal too short nor the edges too sharp like some have reported. What bothered me was how easily those finely machined angles / bezels / edges get chipped, damaged, and have their color / finish scrapped off. The demo unit looked absolutely worn out and like all other Campfire Audio iems it looked more weathered than other brand's iems. Now is it just a rumor that a generation 2 Andromeda is being worked on and will come out soon (with more rounded edges and a better canal fit and general durability)? 

succinct point!

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #1,970 of 9,829
So how do we know if Massdrop will do a drop on the Andromeda? Looks like it's well ahead in the poll.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #1,971 of 9,829
So how do we know if Massdrop will do a drop on the Andromeda? Looks like it's well ahead in the poll.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,973 of 9,829

If you are signed up for an MD account, and the drop makes, I believe MD would then email you so you can determine if you want in.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #1,974 of 9,829
If you are signed up for an MD account, and the drop makes, I believe MD would then email you so you can determine if you want in.

Ok thanks, I haven't used Massdrop before so I'm not really familiar with how it works, I kind of thought if it won the poll then there would be a drop, sounds like it might be unlikely though so I may as well go through with my purchase rather than wait for a drop.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #1,975 of 9,829

Ok thanks, I haven't used Massdrop before so I'm not really familiar with how it works, I kind of thought if it won the poll then there would be a drop, sounds like it might be unlikely though so I may as well go through with my purchase rather than wait for a drop.

i posted a link on the andromeda poll way back. you can check :)

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #1,976 of 9,829

Yeah, even if it wins a poll, that doesn't necessarily mean there would be a drop. It just means MD will try to make the drop work.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #1,977 of 9,829
i posted a link on the andromeda poll way back. you can check :)

Yeah its the one I'm referring too. Looks like the Andromeda is winning which is why I was asking, didn't know if that meant there would be an upcoming drop because I'm considering buying them and didn't want to pay full price if there is going to be a drop soon.

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,979 of 9,829
So is a v2 andromeda coming or is it just rumours

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,980 of 9,829
So is a v2 andromeda coming or is it just rumours

I heard a prototype when I was out at ALO, didn't look or sound like the Andromeda though so I can't say for sure. But there was no mention of a newer flagship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back