Campfire Audio - Holocene and Mammoth
Jul 17, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #241 of 332
Listened to the Campfire Audio Holocene today, and I think I am ready to share some first impressions.

The Holocene has a triple-BA setup, and the shell design is similar to the Andromeda.

Ironically, the shell design isn't the only common factor between them.

The Holocene seems like a cut-down version of the Andromeda (to be more specific: Andromeda S). It's a bit brighter than the original Andromeda due to more mid-treble emphasis but other than that the atmospheric nature of the vocals, the wide staging and great imaging reminds me of the Andros. These do have a bit more pronounced bass response but other than that, in terms of technicalities, it's quite close to the Andros. The bass has a nice rhythm to it and doesn't sound as anemic as many other BA offerings.

As for sources, I personally liked the pairing with the Sony WM1A a lot, and despite the low ohm nature, it didn't hiss at all (unless you push the volume very high with no music playing). The Lotoo PAW 6000 was the most revealing in terms of pairing but it further pronounced the treble emphasis on some tracks.

The Holocene has become my most favorite of the 4 new Campfire Audio IEMs. It's also priced the highest, but for my tastes I'd pick the Holocene over the Mammoth almost always.

IMG_0648.jpgIMG_0621.jpg

Great impressions. Look like the Holocene will be right up the alley for many who roll down at that speed.

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #242 of 332
In the end, I tested the Sedna Lites & a day later, the Xelastec. I feel both eartips are good for the Mammoth, but depending on insertion, the frequency response may alter and recede the mids, making the bass a bit too full with the Sedna Lites (which is undesirable for my taste). I eventually found a better insertion more to my liking. The Xelastec are even fuller when still new on your ear. After a while the bass gets much more refined, and similar to the stock silicons that I particularly like on the Mammoth.

With the right insertion and angle, I like both the Sedna lites and Xelastec. The more refined and balanced tonality (IMHO and for my taste) are the stock silicons, but the Xelastec do sound amazing (everything appears to sound "richer," not as polite as the stock silicons), and I plan to keep testing them for the next few days, along with the Sedna Lites. Xelastec puts the mammoth on the Mammoth, even though I have read some think it tames the bass too much for their preferences.

Haven't purchased the Spiral Dots yet, though I did see them on Amazon at $29.99 USD.

Thanks to Mr. ExpatinJapan and Mr. Rockwell for their kind and honest opinions and suggestions on eartips.

Have a wonderful week, and enjoy your music.

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #243 of 332

217512053_530342808380390_2907858940500565256_n.gif

Purdy.​

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #244 of 332
Jul 20, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #246 of 332
Jul 21, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #250 of 332
I have been too! If you do decide to jump on board, be sure to leave some thoughts! It sort of strikes me as a mini VE7 from what I've read, less reference-y than Ara.

I'm also curious because they're rumoured to be essentially a wide release of the C/2019 which was released as a limited model alongside the MW10 in Japan. I've heard great things about that IEM from all I know who have heard it. It's funny but now that I've sort of stopped chasing more and more expensive models anything less than $1K seems almost like a throwaway :/ lol

Jul 21, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #251 of 332
I'm also curious because they're rumoured to be essentially a wide release of the C/2019 which was released as a limited model alongside the MW10 in Japan. I've heard great things about that IEM from all I know who have heard it. It's funny but now that I've sort of stopped chasing more and more expensive models anything less than $1K seems almost like a throwaway :/ lol
Haha I've noticed that I've become a lot more lenient in my audio spending after acquiring several IEM's over the 1.6k mark... I have just decided to have my custom Legend X re-shelled which is going to end up costing me just over a third of that and I'm throwing it around like its chump change 🤦‍♂️ It's not until you think about it in real world scenarios that you start to appreciate the magnitude of the spend, that would cover my car insurance, tax and MOT for the year. Crazy.

Jul 21, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #252 of 332
The Holocene would be up my alley, but I cannot afford it right now ( even the Mammoth was indeed a splurge). Since I have a number of reference headphones and the ER4SR, I am at least very, very pleased with the Blue Beauties.

I compared the treble of the Mammoth to one of my "reference" headphones last evening, and it was relatively great. Do not know why it measures like that in the commonly available graph. I know they are hard to compare not really being similar technology, but the upper end graphs for each product are vastly different, and I do not find the Mammoth to sound as it measures there. The upper treble rolloff in the graph is not that huge in my listening experience. I have no intentions-or motivation-to deceive any of you, or even myself. Just what I hear vs the measurements.

Do let us know your experience with the Holocene, should you end up acquiring it. Unlike with the Mammoth, which was a calculated risk that happened to end quite well (I am not a true basshead), I am sure I would enjoy the Holocene right away.

Take care, and please take no offense to my words. Listen to whatever you enjoy the most.

Jul 22, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #253 of 332
The Holocene would be up my alley, but I cannot afford it right now ( even the Mammoth was indeed a splurge). Since I have a number of reference headphones and the ER4SR, I am at least very, very pleased with the Blue Beauties.

I compared the treble of the Mammoth to one of my "reference" headphones last evening, and it was relatively great. Do not know why it measures like that in the commonly available graph. I know they are hard to compare not really being similar technology, but the upper end graphs for each product are vastly different, and I do not find the Mammoth to sound as it measures there. The upper treble rolloff in the graph is not that huge in my listening experience. I have no intentions-or motivation-to deceive any of you, or even myself. Just what I hear vs the measurements.

Do let us know your experience with the Holocene, should you end up acquiring it. Unlike with the Mammoth, which was a calculated risk that happened to end quite well (I am not a true basshead), I am sure I would enjoy the Holocene right away.

Take care, and please take no offense to my words. Listen to whatever you enjoy the most.

The Mammoth would ordinarily be my first choice among the two given my preference for DD but I've already got the Dorado & Honeydew to satisfy my CFA bass fix. So you're enjoying the Mammoth?

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #254 of 332
The Mammoth would ordinarily be my first choice among the two given my preference for DD but I've already got the Dorado & Honeydew to satisfy my CFA bass fix. So you're enjoying the Mammoth?

This is very helpful. I don’t expect it to have best in class high end but - as you point out - the measurements look discouraging. Good to know that your real world experience is different.

Can anyone offer a comparison of Dorado 2020 vs Mammoth?

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #255 of 332

I am on my end! It's currently in its honeymoon phase and I've had a lot more time on it versus my Andromeda currently. With your lineup, I would defo recommend trying out the Holocene first.

6D6D972A-938C-4875-B285-96764409D3D9.jpeg

Campfire Audio Mammoth and iBasso CF01 - on the trail still for the perfect earphone (for me) for running 🏃‍♂️ . This is pretty close, enough low end and details to please, nice long nozzle for a good fit whilst jogging.

I took the Mammoth to the gym a few days ago and it was wonderful, the additional nozzle length really helps maintain a great universal seal with the right tips.

Great for on the go usage that's for sure, and the focus on low end helps a lot being outside with passive isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back