Campfire Audio for Beginners 2020 - Comparisons and Details
Feb 10, 2020 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hentype

New Head-Fier
Hello! I've done a decent amount of research and reading / watching reviews on the many various Campfire models past and present and have a general idea of ones that I am mainly interested in, but as someone who is just starting out and learning what they like it is a very difficult area to really grasp sound signatures without being able to try them all. There are some really great posts and articles on the web about breakdown of the various sound signatures and while they are helpful, not always up to date as some models have been retired and others have multiple versions at this point. I've also read about the "downfall" some say based on events that have transpired over recent years, as well as opinions that quality has gone and newer versions are just attempts at what they once were.

Currently I own some Polaris V1's and based on my experience with them, I do very much so enjoy the sound compared to many chifi other various IEMs I have. I don't know if they are my favorite, but I do thoroughly enjoy listening to them. From doing as much looking as I can, I seem to know what direction I am heading for but any breakdown or comparison would be great from anyone who has had experience over the years with Campfire Audio and can provide any extra information that may be helpful for newer folk such as myself.

I have a few specific questions for myself but any helpful information would be great to know!

• Andromeda: V1, V1.5, V2: article on physical changes, says no change to sound: https://audio46.com/blogs/headphones/new-campfire-andromeda-vs-old-campfire-andromeda-review
  • Atlas vs Vega: Vega bassy signature almost L shaped with dark sound, Atlas just as bassy with emphasis in the mids and treble. May be phased out for new model (speculation) (Thank you mashuto)
  • Jupiter: One thing I've been trying to do is compare and contrast older and newer models, and with the Polaris I have, this was somewhat difficult because many of the comparisons are for the V2 model which did have some significant changes to the V1. Most of the information on the Jupiter is naturally older due to it being a retired model but they are still fairly available. Piggy backing on Atlas vs Vega, where does the Jupiter fall in here? I'd even go so far to bring up the Solaris but if I recall correctly those are quite a bit more than the other mentioned pairs.
  • Step up from Polaris V1: Lastly, for me personally I enjoy my Polaris V1's. I do however feel like there is a bit of "je ne sais quoi" in the CA sound that is captured by the Polaris but may indeed be better in some of the other IEM's I've mentioned. What would be a step up from the Polaris V1 sound wise as a more V "fun" shape than a neutral one? I've read enough to here the general opinions and especially that it can be very source dependant. For instance as much as I want to hear the Andromeda's, generally speaking I think they are seen as more neutral... BUT, based on source they can be bassy, neutral, bright, as it appears the be the jack of all trades. Atlas seems like a solid bet, but will hold out for a while to see.

For reference I tried to list here the current models vs past models, but I don't fully know all the versions of each model but will look into them

Current models:
  • Solaris
  • Atlas
  • Andromeda (V1, V1.5, V2, Special Editions will expand later)
  • Cascade (Headphones)
  • Polaris (V1, V2 very different)
  • IO
  • Comet
  • Equinox
  • Solstice
Past models:
  • Jupiter
  • Orion
  • Lyra
  • Nova
  • Vega
  • Dorado
  • Lyra II

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, If any of my information is incorrect which it probably is, I will try to keep up and adjust information accordingly. Thank you very much for reading!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Feb 10, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 8
There are also a number of andromeda special editions too that you may or may not want to add to your list. You cannot get them new anymore, but they are all floating around used from time to time. Some were just different colors (white, and pacific blue). The Andromeda S used a stainless steel shell and was mostly the same but had a slightly different signature. The andromeda special edition gold had different drivers and a lot of people think it likely should have been its own model. Theres also the andromeda MW10 that you can only get in Japan and is significantly more expensive, and also a limited edition I believe, and I think it too has a different sound signature, but I couldnt tell you what or how.

Models you missed, theres another japanese only model that just released. And I think some older IEMs that you may not have listed. Theres also the special edition solaris too though it seems to be mostly the same as the original solaris. Also I would say the polaris v1 and v2 could be separate models as it seems they are tuned differently enough even though they share the same name and a similar driver configuration (though the dynamic driver is different between them).

As for the atlas vs vega. They are definitely not the same, even beyond just the obvious shell and driver size differences. The vega was a very bassy signature, almost L shaped, or downward sloping. The atlas is very bassy too, but has additional emphasis in the mids and treble that balances it out a bit that keep it from sounding as dark as the vega did. I currently own the atlas, and previously owned the vega, and sold the vega in favor of keeping the atlas. Though I may be selling the atlas soon anyways, for other reasons. I would also say the atlas is a good upgrade from the polaris v1 (which I also used to own). Its a somewhat v or more likely w shape, its a lot of fun and just has a really big bombastic sound. It misses a little bit of that air you get from those campfire ba's with taec, but its a lot of fun. I also own the andromeda gold, which is supposed to be a bassier andromeda, and I would likely advise against getting the andromeda if you are looking for something V shaped and are used to that dynamic driver bass. As BA bass can feel a bit anemic in comparison.

Also, there is some speculation that the atlas may be getting replaced soon. Might be worth holding out if that interests you. Due to the atlas being sort of on permanent (and large) sale these days, some are speculating that its to move out remaining inventory which could signal they are either phasing it out or replacing it. All speculation though.

Feb 10, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 8
There are also a number of andromeda special editions too that you may or may not want to add to your list. You cannot get them new anymore, but they are all floating around used from time to time. Some were just different colors (white, and pacific blue). The Andromeda S used a stainless steel shell and was mostly the same but had a slightly different signature. The andromeda special edition gold had different drivers and a lot of people think it likely should have been its own model. Theres also the andromeda MW10 that you can only get in Japan and is significantly more expensive, and also a limited edition I believe, and I think it too has a different sound signature, but I couldnt tell you what or how.

Models you missed, theres another japanese only model that just released. And I think some older IEMs that you may not have listed. Theres also the special edition solaris too though it seems to be mostly the same as the original solaris. Also I would say the polaris v1 and v2 could be separate models as it seems they are tuned differently enough even though they share the same name and a similar driver configuration (though the dynamic driver is different between them).

As for the atlas vs vega. They are definitely not the same, even beyond just the obvious shell and driver size differences. The vega was a very bassy signature, almost L shaped, or downward sloping. The atlas is very bassy too, but has additional emphasis in the mids and treble that balances it out a bit that keep it from sounding as dark as the vega did. I currently own the atlas, and previously owned the vega, and sold the vega in favor of keeping the atlas. Though I may be selling the atlas soon anyways, for other reasons. I would also say the atlas is a good upgrade from the polaris v1 (which I also used to own). Its a somewhat v or more likely w shape, its a lot of fun and just has a really big bombastic sound. It misses a little bit of that air you get from those campfire ba's with taec, but its a lot of fun. I also own the andromeda gold, which is supposed to be a bassier andromeda, and I would likely advise against getting the andromeda if you are looking for something V shaped and are used to that dynamic driver bass. As BA bass can feel a bit anemic in comparison.

Also, there is some speculation that the atlas may be getting replaced soon. Might be worth holding out if that interests you. Due to the atlas being sort of on permanent (and large) sale these days, some are speculating that its to move out remaining inventory which could signal they are either phasing it out or replacing it. All speculation though.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I was aware of some of the special editions but had no idea which were just different colored shells or which actually had different drivers or what not. I will go through and look up the variations and see If I can make the list a bit more detailed. Looks like Atlas would be the choice for CA for me currently, I prefer the Vega design and shape but believe I would enjoy the atlas signature a lot more than L shaped and too dark. Good to know about the pricing and speculation, it is something to consider for sure. I will more than likely stay away from Andromedas and hope to just try them at some point for the sake of saying I've heard them haha. Thank you for all your insightful info I greatly appreciate it! You have a wonderful collection listed in your signature! I hope to own some of them one day.

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Whatever you do give the Solaris a try if it's in your means. I started with the Atlas a year ago and in the time since I've demoed and owned many TOTL IEMs-- including the Anole VX, Legend X, IER Z1R and u12t-- and I would rank the Solaris above all of them.

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 8
I have to say the solaris sound signature is pretty up there (at least to my ears), I recently auditioned them side by side with the andromeda and polaris II at CanJam (NYC) 2020, all IEMs were hooked up to an astell & kerns dap cutesy of the folks at Campfire. Of course each of the 3 IEM's referenced here bring something to the table but I found the solaris brought a nice amount of bass that the polaris II excels at, and the solaris also balanced the bass out with a decent amount of the clarity in the mids/highs that the andromeda is known for. One thing that did stand out though was the size of the solaris, physically it is a bit bigger than the others in the range and whilst i did get a good fit in the ear it does make me wonder if they will work loose when out and about. All said, I have my open for a clean set of solaris, feel free to PM me if anyone is looking to sell theirs!

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 8
20200217_111837.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back