Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 & Vega 2020
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #97 of 122
7 of 10 sq and brash sound, get out of here..
I guess. I mean they didn't rate then 10/10, but then again are any iems really "perfect" anyways?

They also said treble can be a little brash with certain songs. Not that the entire sound is brash. And it was much more about how they are a bit of an exciting sound rather than something overly smooth.

And personally gotta take any scores with a grain of salt since almost nobody will have a truly objective way to come up with them. It's all very subjective.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #98 of 122
I guess. I mean they didn't rate then 10/10, but then again are any iems really "perfect" anyways?

They also said treble can be a little brash with certain songs. Not that the entire sound is brash. And it was much more about how they are a bit of an exciting sound rather than something overly smooth.

And personally gotta take any scores with a grain of salt since almost nobody will have a truly objective way to come up with them. It's all very subjective.
Indeed

Especially, what is a 7/10 rating for SQ. Is it the SQ for the price or overally? If it's the latter, then i'd call a 900-1100 USD iem a good value if they score 7/10.

So, yea, it's very subjective and you shouldn't be deciding whether you're interested in a product or not based on one review. I rated Vega and especially Dorado much higher, but that's my personal take.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #99 of 122
Indeed

Especially, what is a 7/10 rating for SQ. Is it the SQ for the price or overally? If it's the latter, then i'd call a 900-1100 USD iem a good value if they score 7/10.

So, yea, it's very subjective and you shouldn't be deciding whether you're interested in a product or not based on one review. I rated Vega and especially Dorado much higher, but that's my personal take.
I agreed with the text of the review overall (though I don't think the dorado and solaris 2020 are as alike as they say in the comparison, but it's been a few months since I have had the solaris). But some of their scores seemed a bit wonky in my opinion, especially compared to their just published nio review.

Dorado 7/10 for sq and nio 10/10... I love the nio, but it's not a perfect score (as I dont think anything should be), unless you are talking about preference, in which case the score is totally subjective.

Build quality was another weird one.. 8/10 for dorado and vega, but 9/10 for the nio. I don't know where the discrepancy here is and they didn't really touch on it in the review itself, but campfire has always been top notch for build quality in my opinion, and these ceramic shells are I think up there with the best build quality I have seen on an iem, and certainly not worse than the nio (of which my nio actually has a few blemishes straight out of the box).

I'm not trying to defend one iem or the other, only that sites that have scores without any kind of justification for the score or hard explanation of how they came up with the score is something that should be taken with a big grain of salt. Especially because overall I thought the review was fine.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #100 of 122
I agreed with the text of the review overall (though I don't think the dorado and solaris 2020 are as alike as they say in the comparison, but it's been a few months since I have had the solaris). But some of their scores seemed a bit wonky in my opinion, especially compared to their just published nio review.

Dorado 7/10 for sq and nio 10/10... I love the nio, but it's not a perfect score (as I dont think anything should be), unless you are talking about preference, in which case the score is totally subjective.

Build quality was another weird one.. 8/10 for dorado and vega, but 9/10 for the nio. I don't know where the discrepancy here is and they didn't really touch on it in the review itself, but campfire has always been top notch for build quality in my opinion, and these ceramic shells are I think up there with the best build quality I have seen on an iem, and certainly not worse than the nio (of which my nio actually has a few blemishes straight out of the box).

I'm not trying to defend one iem or the other, only that sites that have scores without any kind of justification for the score or hard explanation of how they came up with the score is something that should be taken with a big grain of salt. Especially because overall I thought the review was fine.
Oh, i agree, Dorado and Vega 2020 build being 8/10 while the Nio being 9/10 is super weird, unacceptable i would say actually, as you just said yourself, CFA IEMs are one of the best (if not THE best) made IEMs in the market overally, both the new stuff and the rest of the 2020 series. I just have my Ara in my hands, i cannot imagine rating build quality of these lower than 10/10, it's just...perfect. No blemishes, no imperfections, heavy and perfectly made. Same with the Dorado and Vega 2020.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #101 of 122

That was my thought too. Giving anything 10/10 is a bit disingenuous as it implies there is no room for improvement. That said tonality scores for IEMs imho always completely subjective.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #102 of 122
Haha it's funny this made the thread alive.
These guys are noone really, it's just one guy's opinion. And it seems he preferred hell of a lot lesser iem and cans giving them am easy 9/10.
So No, this is not to be taken seriously

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #103 of 122
Haha it's funny this made the thread alive.
These guys are noone really, it's just one guy's opinion. And it seems he preferred hell of a lot lesser iem and cans giving them am easy 9/10.
So No, this is not to be taken seriously
Fair enough. I'm all for more discussion since there's been so little about these releases. And again I personally wasn't trying to disparage the reviews themselves, only that I don't really agree with how they are scoring things, especially since score so often seems to really equate to just personal preference (which should be made more clear).

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #104 of 122
Im sure I've heard more iems, not to mention all bought with my own money hence different level of care and i strongly disagree with their ears on this one.
Only thing i can think of is different source used and stock cable i replaced right away

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #105 of 122
Im sure I've heard more iems, not to mention all bought with my own money hence different level of care and i strongly disagree with their ears on this one.
Only thing i can think of is different source used and stock cable i replaced right away

Which one do you have and what are your thoughts on it overall? Any comparisons to Solaris/Andro etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back