Campfire Audio Chromatic Series
Nov 14, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #196 of 470
It has more energy at 8k by several db either way you go about it though no?
Only on a graph when compared to another graph. I'm giving you my real-world impressions. Take it or leave it. If you want to reject a set based on the graph, go for it.

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #197 of 470
I believe there's something wrong with the measurement itself. This just looks extremely incoherent and not suited for vocals with a huge drop past 11 khz.

1699971044157.png

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #199 of 470
So with the reviews of the Bonneville here I went ahead and upgraded from UE 7pros ciem. I haven't been following the scene for a few years so I wanted to get something new. Hopefully it works out! Does anyone have a mid range DAP recommendation to pair it with?

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #201 of 470
So with the reviews of the Bonneville here I went ahead and upgraded from UE 7pros ciem. I haven't been following the scene for a few years so I wanted to get something new. Hopefully it works out! Does anyone have a mid range DAP recommendation to pair it with?
A&K SR35

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #202 of 470

Amen to this. I could walk from this hobby right now with just Bonneville and SR35 and not look back. (Though I would miss my Trifecta.)

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #203 of 470
Amen to this. I could walk from this hobby right now with just Bonneville and SR35 and not look back. (Though I would miss my Trifecta.)

giphy.gif

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #204 of 470
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #206 of 470
Seems pretty accurate IMO; as I said earlier in this thread they have a very audible dip in the upper mids that muffles vocals.

I don't hear muffled vocals in Bonneville. I wouldn't call it a vocal-centric or overly vocal forward IEM by any means but the vocals sound in no way muted, veiled or obstructed to my ears.

Edit: YMMV Etc. etc.

Edit 2: I know this is not possible for some folks, and I don't deny that graphs have their use/utility but I encourage folks who do have the means to try these for yourself and spend a bit of time before forming judgement.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #208 of 470
I don't hear muffled vocals in Bonneville. I wouldn't call it a vocal-centric or overly vocal forward IEM by any means but the vocals sound in no way muted, veiled or obstructed to my ears.

Edit: YMMV Etc. etc.

Edit 2: I know this is not possible for some folks, and I don't deny that graphs have their use/utility but I encourage folks who do have the means to try these for yourself and spend a bit of time before forming judgement.
I mean it's not like it's horrible or unlistenable, just noticable when compared with other IEMs imo. Especially if you've just spent multiple days with the Supermoon which has a big bump in that same area 😅
Definitely concur with Rock here. Of course if you AB against an IEM like Supermoon that has clarity dialled up to 11 you're going to hear a different presentation, but by the same token you can then call Supermoon overly bright and etched (neither of which it is). I think it was Twain that wrote: "comparison is the death of joy". In my experience (and as a reviewer, I have a bit of that) direct A/B comparisons are the surest way to distort the qualities of both IEMs. After all, we can only listen with one IEM at a time, so take time to listen, let the brain work its magic and magically EQ the sound, and you'll get a sense of what each of these IEMs is trying to do (and in my opinion, do very well).

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #209 of 470
Definitely concur with Rock here. Of course if you AB against an IEM like Supermoon that has clarity dialled up to 11 you're going to hear a different presentation, but by the same token you can then call Supermoon overly bright and etched (neither of which it is). I think it was Twain that wrote: "comparison is the death of joy". In my experience (and as a reviewer, I have a bit of that) direct A/B comparisons are the surest way to distort the qualities of both IEMs. After all, we can only listen with one IEM at a time, so take time to listen, let the brain work its magic and magically EQ the sound, and you'll get a sense of what each of these IEMs is trying to do (and in my opinion, do very well).
That’s key right there…I find that the moment I A/B with radically different IEM it’s hard to make up my mind. But if I just let go and give time to adapt and ease into an IEM’s signature, either I get into it or it’s not for me. I always take them on their own now.

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #210 of 470
Yes for sure - I find I can't actually A/B in the sense of switching back and forth quickly between sets without feeling like both suck. The brain magic, as you so aptly put it, needs time to take effect. I actually listen to a whole album on one set now, to get the mood and gestalt, while also taking notes. Then I take a break. Then I go through the same album with the second set, again for the overall presentation, but still taking notes. Only after this can I make any sense of what I am hearing. Also, listening to the Bonnevilles and the then trying any other set right after is a sure fire way to feel like there's no bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back