Campfire Audio Chromatic Series
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #286 of 466
SO, how does the Cascara compare to the Dorado 2020?? I assume a bit similar with the DD being the main driver, but maybe a bit more mids??

Dorado is a tad dark for me when I can't use EQ, like online places (YT, SoundCloud, etc.), but with my PowerAmp Android app on my Samsung phone, I can dial in exactly how I like it.

Nice folks @ CFA! They've always answered my random email questions very quickly.

Very similar but with more open and clear mids. Interestingly Cascara finally pushed me over the edge and made me re-list the Dorado 2020. CFA's new DD is one of the best on the market right now imho. Some of the nicest bass I've ever heard-- great decay, excellent extension and wondeful timbre.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #287 of 466
Very similar but with more open and clear mids. Interestingly Cascara finally pushed me over the edge and made me re-list the Dorado 2020. CFA's new DD is one of the best on the market right now imho. Some of the nicest bass I've ever heard-- great decay, excellent extension and wondeful timbre.
I concur. The Cascara have not left my ears for 5 days. It's a bit of a strange phenomenon where they have totally captivated me the exact way the Bonnevilles did 2 weeks prior. They are a bit less refined technically, but not really enough that I find myself caring. And sometimes even preferring. The Bonnevilles have a grander stage, more pinpoint imaging, and more cavernous air, but the Cascaras have the bass and midsm and even though they disappear into my ears in terms of fit and weight, they can absolutely rattle my skull with impact and completely immerse me in cone of music. I like this bass better than RN6 kinetic bass, though that may seem heretical to say. I also like the physical sensation of being in contact with the actualy speaker more than the diffuse effect of BCD. Again, YMMV, etc. Now I can barely believe there is yet another, Black Star, with the same new bass driver, giving you three choices of tuning with that addictive bass. Here's what I wonder: new Trifecta with three of the new drivers? That would be a end-game for me. (Unless I'm wrong and it already has them?)

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #288 of 466
Received Bonneville today, gave up on CA after Dorado but this is something else, very impressive especially bass, visceral and deep slam🤩
Treble is a bit whatever at the mo but it'll get better, airier i think after burn in.
The most impressive thing about the series is the fit and top quality, this to me is better than custom as all my customs are uncomfortable but this is best ever, no other manufacturer comes close, genius what they did with the Chromatic fit!
The worst..the CA usual hiss on balanced, but I’ll live with it, it’s worth it.
Bravo Ken👏👏👏

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #289 of 466
I concur. The Cascara have not left my ears for 5 days. It's a bit of a strange phenomenon where they have totally captivated me the exact way the Bonnevilles did 2 weeks prior. They are a bit less refined technically, but not really enough that I find myself caring. And sometimes even preferring. The Bonnevilles have a grander stage, more pinpoint imaging, and more cavernous air, but the Cascaras have the bass and midsm and even though they disappear into my ears in terms of fit and weight, they can absolutely rattle my skull with impact and completely immerse me in cone of music. I like this bass better than RN6 kinetic bass, though that may seem heretical to say. I also like the physical sensation of being in contact with the actualy speaker more than the diffuse effect of BCD. Again, YMMV, etc. Now I can barely believe there is yet another, Black Star, with the same new bass driver, giving you three choices of tuning with that addictive bass. Here's what I wonder: new Trifecta with three of the new drivers? That would be a end-game for me. (Unless I'm wrong and it already has them?)
Honestly I have very similar feelings to you. I also own the RN6 and picked up the bonneville a little over a week ago now. While I still think the quality of bass the RN6 is slightly better but it is very slight. The fact that the bonnevilles bass is competing in the same league as the RN6 in the first place tells you how impressive the DD in the bonneville is. The quantity of bass is definitely higher than the RN6 and It really slams like nothing else in my collection and brings a smile to my face every time I listen to it.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #290 of 466
Honestly I have very similar feelings to you. I also own the RN6 and picked up the bonneville a little over a week ago now. While I still think the quality of bass the RN6 is slightly better but it is very slight. The fact that the bonnevilles bass is competing in the same league as the RN6 in the first place tells you how impressive the DD in the bonneville is. The quantity of bass is definitely higher than the RN6 and It really slams like nothing else in my collection and brings a smile to my face every time I listen to it.
Exactly that✌️

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #291 of 466
All about the smile. I really liked my time with the RN6 but they didn't bring the perma-grin the way the CAs do.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #292 of 466

Yeah the more I listen to Cascara the more astounded I am at how good they are-- they perform at a very high level pretty much across the board and don't really hit any false notes. And the bass is to die for. I've always had a soft spot for single DDs and these are one of the best at any price point.

Yeah a Trifecta with these new drivers would be something else. Trifecta is pretty much my end game as it is (it does not have these new drivers) but I wonder how much more epic it would be with these new drivers. One can only hope and wonder.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #293 of 466
Last few weeks I've settled in with my Custom Cascara/stock cable/DX312. At this time I don't want to change anything with this combo. Just pure synergy.

• Big vocal presence(even better than Atlas eq) which never gets lost in the mix but never feels overpowering.
  • Full non fatigue treble experience with no feeing of strain(even better than Lyra II).
  • Deep tall soundstage with convincing imaging(better than Custom Supermoon)
  • Cascara bass just hits different than anything I've heard before. It can play any genre without coming off bloated or boomy. Yet it hits hard and really digs into mid and low bass detail.
I wasn't interested in hearing Trifecta till I experienced Cascara. Now I'm dreaming of what a Custom Trifecta would sound like.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #294 of 466
I'm seriously enjoying the Black Star! I'm actually sort of blown away by it...it has replaced my Singularity as my nighttime driver for now. I will be demoing Bonneville soon and am really looking forward to that as I'll be familiar with Black Star. My understanding is the same DD is in both sets, and just wow on this DD! Black Star is the deal from CFA I'm thinking.

I've not tried Cascara yet, tho I trust @Rockwell75 impressions as we seem to gel😊

I do have Dorado (with some influence from the above mentioned) and it got me quite entranced. I agree with the "dark" descriptor, it is a heavy sound if from a very small shell!

I'm going to hazard the guess that the DD in Cascara is the same as the one inside Black Star, not Dorado, and that Dorado will retain its dark, deep reputation, where Black Star and it's DD give CFA the best lower boom to match with their super mid/highs. Tldr: Dorado remains budget basshead CFA, Black Star not basshead, but serious bass, just more balanced.

Honestly, if I were advising a new head fier, you could pick up Dorado and BS for less than any other TOTL iem and have the best of both worlds to enlighten your forward path, or retire with.
Does the black star have pressure venting?

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #296 of 466
Received Bonneville today, gave up on CA after Dorado but this is something else, very impressive especially bass, visceral and deep slam🤩
Treble is a bit whatever at the mo but it'll get better, airier i think after burn in.
The most impressive thing about the series is the fit and top quality, this to me is better than custom as all my customs are uncomfortable but this is best ever, no other manufacturer comes close, genius what they did with the Chromatic fit!
Bravo Ken👏👏👏
What DAP are you using? Is the hiss pretty noticeable like Andromeda?

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #297 of 466
Bravo Ken👏👏👏

For some reason I thought I remembered you liking the Dorado 2020. It's one of my favorite CFAs still. Even now I'm hesitating about listing it lol

Glad you're enjoying the Bonneville though-- you need to get your hands on the Cascara!

Last few weeks I've settled in with my Custom Cascara/stock cable/DX312. At this time I don't want to change anything with this combo. Just pure synergy.

• Big vocal presence(even better than Atlas eq) which never gets lost in the mix but never feels overpowering.
  • Full non fatigue treble experience with no feeing of strain(even better than Lyra II).
  • Deep tall soundstage with convincing imaging(better than Custom Supermoon)
  • Cascara bass just hits different than anything I've heard before. It can play any genre without coming off bloated or boomy. Yet it hits hard and really digs into mid and low bass detail.
I wasn't interested in hearing Trifecta till I experienced Cascara. Now I'm dreaming of what a Custom Trifecta would sound like.

With you on the Trifecta. I really hope they go there with this new driver..lol

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #298 of 466
For some reason I thought I remembered you liking the Dorado 2020. It's one of my favorite CFAs still. Even now I'm hesitating about listing it lol

Glad you're enjoying the Bonneville though-- you need to get your hands on the Cascara!

With you on the Trifecta. I really hope they go there with this new driver..lol
And I'm with you, too! This DD driver is really incredible! The new Black Star is, in fact, my favorite sub $1000 I've ever heard because of the sheer performance of the DD inside. The idea of combining 3 of them for a Trifecta is intoxicating!!! Do you hear us, CFA!?

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #299 of 466
Dec 7, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #300 of 466
Same as all CA iems mire or less, youll hear it on balanced
I hear no hiss with the Bonnevilles on the RS8 in balanced mode. But I know that wasn't the original question... Just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back