CAMPFIRE AUDIO Australia - New Zealand Tour (Reviews and Impressions) ORION / LYRA / JUPITER / ANDROMEDA
Mar 17, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #181 of 340
  Hi. A longtime lurker here. Could anyone here who's heard the FIDUE A83 compare the Campfire Audio Jupiter and Lyra to it. I really enjoy the sound of the A83 with my Calyx M. Was wondering how these offerings from Campfire Audio would compare. Would either of them constitute an upgrade assuming my preference for the FIDUE's sound signature? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Try and PM Uncle H20fidelity, he might have compared them. Hard for me to do so, because I've only briefly heard the Jupiter and no longer have access to A83.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #182 of 340
Hi all, my Orion review is done. I'll be posting a slightly longer version on my blog, but here's the local one: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15504

In summary, I really like the sound of the Orions, particularly knowing that it's all coming from a single balanced armature!! Personally, I like a little more bass than these provide, but there's no doubting the quality of the sound. Great work, Campfire Audio!!

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #183 of 340
  Hi. A longtime lurker here. Could anyone here who's heard the FIDUE A83 compare the Campfire Audio Jupiter and Lyra to it. I really enjoy the sound of the A83 with my Calyx M. Was wondering how these offerings from Campfire Audio would compare. Would either of them constitute an upgrade assuming my preference for the FIDUE's sound signature? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

If you like A83's signature, especially its energy around the mid-range and upper push in revealing detail around those mids Jupiter may be too smooth for you. If you want more information send me PM and I'll get back to you. A83 are quite the performer in terms of value for money, they're not 'the best' but able to keep up with many wannabe TOTL IEMs.

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #184 of 340
Just checking in to say the Lyra has arrived. 
smile.gif

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #185 of 340
My review of the LYRA is up!
You may check the full review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-lyra/reviews/15525

color]

The Lyra sports tuned ports which may be responsible for the overall transient response. I believe these ports hold the key to further tuning improvements specifically in its bass response. In my experience, the Lyra sounds best in outdoor settings or not-so-quiet environments. The reason being, the said scenarios can reduce the perceived bass quantity. This is purely my preference, if this is the intended use for the Lyra then I can truly understand the inspiration in its tuning. Please note that the tuned ports are positioned facing forwards. The location of the ports can make wind noise more audible than ideal, so just a point of caution when using the Lyra outdoors.

This is the second entry from Campfire Audio's line-up of In-ear Monitors. As a new entrant in the IEM market, they are definitely heading in the right direction. The Lyra is built from premium materials, designed to be functional and performs as advertised. These can be a bass-head's IEMs if one prefers a smooth and laid-back sound. Surprisingly, they're quite fun to listen to! I'm really looking forward to review Campfire Audio's third model - the Jupiter. Quite curious on what sets them apart from the Orion and Lyra.

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #186 of 340
Just thought I'd give you all another update following a telephone conversation with Ken, some more emails and also a comparison of different measurements.

Firstly - on my measurements with Veritas - as I've already stated - the Veritas measurements are raw, uncompensated, and above about 5 kHz they don't measure higher energy that well.  I'm going to try and see if I can work out a proper compensation I can apply at some stage (much like HiFiChris has done) - but at this stage its a question of available time.

Anyway - we got the Jupiter back to Ken again to remeasure - and there is an almost 10 dB drop between about 1.5 kHz and 3 kHz.  It is intentional, and Ken explained that it works in harmony with peaks at 9.5 kHz and 16-17 kHz (which don't show up so well on my Veritas).  The issue is that I'm particularly sensitive to changes in the 2-3 kHz range.  Luke (H20fidelity) is as well, and Ken says we aren't the only ones who've commented on it.  Most seem to love the Jupiter, some are less enthralled (probably have similar sensitivity to me).

I also want to requalify my original comments.  I said it was one of the worst IEMs I'd heard for a long time - but I need to explain that.  Lately I've been listening to earphones like the 1964Ears Adel U6, UM Merlin, Titans 3 & 5, Primacy, q-Jays and a lot of others - none of which have this particular drop in the 2-3 kHz area (at least not to that extent).  In that context and with my sensitivity in the area the Jupiter as the drop - they are simply unsuitable for me personally.  A pity in a lot of ways as there was a lot to like about the Jupiter (especially with the bass quality, staging, imaging and extension).  When I applied some EQ to null the dip (before I sent them back), they were a thoroughly enjoyable IEM to listen to.

On the comfort issues - I've sent Ken a map back regarding the pressure points and he's already looking into it.  If he smoothed those internal angles a bit, the actual shape is pretty much perfect.

On the cable - Ken said it was OK if I borrowed both the single and balanced Tinsel cables for a little while, and although my opinion hasn't changes on the overall microphonics, and the tendency to tangle - I am really impressed with the ergonomics, lightness, strength and the connectors. If you are OK carefully winding the cable to avoid tangles - the Tinsel is actually very good.  Good enough that I'm trying to resist buying a pair at the moment.  $149 isn't cheap - but the quality and workmanship is really top notch - and with a bit of cable management - using the cinch, and tucking under clothes - microphonics pretty much disappear.  More importantly it doesn't exhibit memory (really flexible) and the connectors are one of the best MMCX implementations I've seen. My Fidue A83 have been languishing due to ongoing connection issues.  Balanced cable paired with the L&P L3 has been a revelation - no cut-outs (solid connection!), and they sound great.

On the service side - it has been fantastic corresponding with Ken and given me some new insight into what Campfire are trying to achieve. This is definitely a company who is passionate about what they are doing - and looking to improve.  I have the Orion's coming next week (from the tour), and am looking forward to hearing them.  I'll also be really interested to see what else Ken and his team are working on for the future.

I'll close with saying that he is currently at CanJam.  If any of you guys have a chance to get to their booth - please pop in and say hi.

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #187 of 340
I just received the Jupiter from Kevin

First impression is pending, need to adjust first 
wink_face.gif
 - but all I can say is I totally understand both side of arguments, both from brooko/H20 side, and the others who gave 5/5 rating, the first thing I thought after the first song started is "...ahh...T-Peos' upper mids..." 
bigsmile_face.gif

More soon...

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #188 of 340
Lol, funny you find the upper mid range emphasised Vic on Jupiter, we've spent the last week or two discussing how there's a big dip in that section. :D

Gotta love Head-fi.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #189 of 340
Lol, funny you find the upper mid range emphasised Vic on Jupiter, we've spent the last week or two discussing how there's a big dip in that section.
biggrin.gif

Gotta love Head-fi.

No, what I meant was, sounds a bit hollow to my ear, hence why I said I didn't want to say anything yet as my ears need to adjust to its signature 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #190 of 340

No, what I meant was, sounds a bit hollow to my ear, hence why I said I didn't want to say anything yet as my ears need to adjust to its signature 
bigsmile_face.gif

Arr I see! I actually read into your post afterwards thinking: "I wonder if he meant..."that"

Looking forward to your review mate! 

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #191 of 340
Orion's just arrived

Same comfort issues (angles are hard on the ears)

Sonically they are really good.  This is more my type of tuning.  Only had them in for an hour - looking forward to getting to know them for the rest of the week.  I'm going to enjoy reviewing these I think.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #192 of 340
I just received the Jupiter from Kevin

First impression is pending, need to adjust first :wink_face:  - but all I can say is I totally understand both side of arguments, both from brooko/H20 side, and the others who gave 5/5 rating, the first thing I thought after the first song started is "...ahh...T-Peos' upper mids..." :bigsmile_face:

More soon...

Thanks for checking in Vic! Looking forward to your review.

Orion's just arrived

Same comfort issues (angles are hard on the ears)

Sonically they are really good.  This is more my type of tuning.  Only had them in for an hour - looking forward to getting to know them for the rest of the week.  I'm going to enjoy reviewing these I think.

Glad you're liking the Orion mate. They surely are wonderful.

The Lyra is on its way to ade_hall in New Zealand. Should be there by the end of the week.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #193 of 340
I thinking about getting some upgraded cables for my Jupiter, should I go with SPC or Pure Silver and why?

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #194 of 340
tried the jupiter in egghead store here in the philippines.

its an awesome iem.
its so airy, holographic like the dx90 dap i had before, the details is outstanding (bar none, period).
its sooo detailed.
its more detailed and better even my fibass. 

ive never heard anything like it. :)
its even better than my dita truth.

it beats my fibass, fx850, Dita truth and heaven 7 in all aspects.
even i cant remember an iem who can stand a chance against it, even the famous sm3, nor the eq7 and fx700 i had before.

the build quality if of high quality.
its sturdy. and solid.
but it looks big...lol.

in sound, the first thing i notice is the soundstage.
its wide and deep.
and the space is so 3d-like (sm3 reminds me of this but better)
its out of the head-like experience.
holographic.

on my headphone out in my iphone 6, the iem is already resolving, clear, smooth in 3 frequencies.
there is no treble spike, or too much bass, or too upfront mids or too much mids (like the PFX by final audio), or too v shape sound.
i think its neutral and better than my dita truth. its flat but all is better. :)

its one of the finest and excellent sounding iem out there right now. :)
thats im sure of.

im having a second thought wether i would still buy a mojo for my iphone 6 to upgrade my music listening.
i think the iem itself can do a lot more than what a dap plus dac should do...to improve the sound.
from the quick listen i made, i already said its the best iem i ever heard and own to date. its the TOP iem for me in my list.
i also tried different top of the line from different brands such as fidue, sony, asg...
still the jupier by campfire is one of a kind among all of them :)

im so happy i got to try it.
and if i have the money, id definitely buy one. no doubt. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back