CAMPFIRE AUDIO Australia - New Zealand Tour (Reviews and Impressions) ORION / LYRA / JUPITER / ANDROMEDA
Mar 10, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #166 of 340
Personally, I don't think the Jupiter unit is faulty because the channel matching was correct, the chances of both sides failing are very little. We will see..

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #167 of 340
Just my own Jupiters. Thanks for the reviews guys. I love these things and IMO they sound almost perfect. I need to try out my copper litz cables and see where that gets me. I get my JVC Spiral Tips on Friday so I hope to report good things from them.

Thanks for posting your impressions. Good to know you're happy with the Jupiters.

Interested to see the answer from CA.

Although the tuning wasn't perfect for me with the Jupiters, I definitely didn't hear any drastic problems with them. They sounded far better sonically balanced than the Orions (to my ears at least)

Thanks for confirming mate. At least we're confident with the 2Nd unit. Still suspecting there could be something wrong with the 1St unit, we'll wait and see...

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #168 of 340
Personally, I don't think the Jupiter unit is faulty because the channel matching was correct, the chances of both sides failing are very little. We will see..

That's also a very strong point to consider. My brief audition with the Jupiter I did find the upper midrange really smooth. It was even pleasing. Unfortunately my audition was too short for me to firmly stick with a conclusion. So me not finding any glaring faults on the Jupiter is still to be confirmed once my turn to do the review is up.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #169 of 340
That's also a very strong point to consider. My brief audition with the Jupiter I did find the upper midrange really smooth. It was even pleasing. Unfortunately my audition was too short for me to firmly stick with a conclusion. So me not finding any glaring faults on the Jupiter is still to be confirmed once my turn to do the review is up.

Unless both sides are wired reverse polarity, or the crossover incorrectly wired identically both sides.

As you can see we're starting to reach for the bottom of the barrel here.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #170 of 340
In the interests of quelling any speculation, I'll update my current position.

Ken and I have had a few extremely constructive email exchanges today.  And I might add that dealing directly with Ken has been both very professional and not all uncomfortable.  I can state without any doubt at all that this is a company that deeply cares about their products and about music.

I emailed Ken the measurements, and I also measured the IEMs with an SPL meter and test tones (1 kHz through to 5 kHz), and confirms to me anyway that there is a 10 dB drop from 1 - 3 kHz.  I agreed with him that Veritas isn't accurate all the way through to 20 kHz (I agree that it understates both lower and upper treble).  But I am confident that it does measure up to 5 kHz reasonably well.

I also sent Ken a graph today showing the Jupiter vs U6 vs q-Jays vs UM Merlin prototype (Vic's).  All of them measured with same tips, on same equipment - so it shows relative frequency comparisons:

The red line is Jupiter. It has (to my ears) great bass, great lower treble, and once EQ'd fantastic staging and imaging.

Ken says there is a dip below 1 kHz, it's intentional, but it's not supposed to be that dramatic.

He should be back to me in the morning.  I've offered to pull out of the tour (which might be best in the circumstances), and I must stress that this is not because of a rift or anything.  It's simply so that the rest of you can concentrate on the opportunity Ken and his team have provided.  I don't want to side-track anything.  At this stage, with this pair of Jupiters, I'll either be sending them on to Yudi, back to Mark, or back to Ken. I'll find out tomorrow.

So I think at this stage - best to leave further discussion regarding this particular pair.  Again Ken has been brilliant to deal with & I respect where he is coming from, and the passion he brings with this product range.

Paul

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #171 of 340
Paul, I'd like to thank you for all your contributions in this thread. I respect and understand your decision to pull out of this tour.
You are a valuable member of the AUS-NZ tour group and I look forward to working with you again in future tours.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #172 of 340
Paul,

Thank you so much for the emails and the discussion, and sorry the Jupiter is not your cup of tea
frown.gif

I think this is a good time to check in and say hi and thank everyone for reading this wonderful thread, thank you so much.

Paul, I do find your measurements not consistent with everything we see in my shop and I do look forward in getting that IEMs back from you to double check. I have a lot of reference IEMs and the Jupiter outperforms in terms of spread of freq sensitivity better than most everything I have in my collection. I will not show my side by side measurements with anything but a Shure 546 as not to get in trouble with other vendors but will show you the correct measurement as I have already posted this I think on 6Moons early on. This one is referenced with the Shure 546 which is a very neutral reference sound that makes for a good comparison. I kringe at the high freq parts of your measurement because I know that the Jupiters sensitivity is far greater than your measurement shows vs others. There is a dip but it is at 2-3K and recovers by 4K and even at its lowest point its still @107.5 dB of sensitivity. I know your value 2-3K very much so understood. We really are proud of the 6-20k sensitivity and extension of the Jupiter, that was not easy to obtain, and we feel that if it was flat in total it would sound rather boring to me. Its this high freq on your comparison that is not consistent with my shops set up or the cross reference I am getting from Knowles lab that is concurrent with mine. But you are getting what your getting and you have a direct A/B with other IEMs so I cant and will not argue with you :) please I dont want to argue with anyone :wink: peace! 

A quick note on measurements, they are a tricky thing really I think for us here its more of a tool to know which why our tweaks are working or not working. I have a habit of trying some crazy non conventional things so the tool (measuring setup) is imperative that its working correctly. Anyhow thank you for your take and emails back and fourth, they have been helpful for me for sure.

I want to make the best IEMs possible for hifi guys and gals and I know this is a tall order, my customers are tough and every single hZ is scrutinized. I know that every inner ear is tuned a little different and everyone has their own sensitivity to different frequencies, therefore it is impossible to please everyone and so no IEM is perfect for everyone. I think everyone should listen and come to their own conclusions to see if the shoe fits the ear so to speak. Measurements are not going to tell you if the IEM will sound good to you fully 100%. My main goal as the designer and engineer is to make the best IEM I can and make in a way that is as different as possible from my venerable competitors. 

We feel confident in our equipment, collection and most importantly our own ears. Then we very much listen to our customers, I show at I think 6 major shows every year and I think its imperative that listen to what the people say when they demo and come to my booth. Some of you know that I have a habit of bringing prototypes to these shows and we often have private listening sessions. This for me is the funnest part of attending shows like CanJam, its great to get impressions on certain designs and feed back on things, its just the best part of this hobby to me. 

If your coming to this next SoCal CanJam PLEASE check by our booth and say hi! and have a listen for yourself. 

Again, thank you guys!!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 11, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #173 of 340
If your coming to this next SoCal CanJam PLEASE check by our booth and say hi! and have a listen for yourself. 

Again, thank you guys!!

Ken

Thanks for dropping by Ken. It's good to know more about Campfire Audio.

I've been enjoying my time with the Lyra. I find the sound to be more suited for outdoor listening. Here's me today, relaxin' and enjoying the weekend. Review coming soon at thesoundfreq.com

Have a great weekend!

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #174 of 340
I got my JVC Spiral Tips. Sounds good. Any other recommendation for tips?

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #175 of 340

Maybe try the MEElec m9 tips or the UE tips. I'm not sure if the ortofon tips fit but it's worth a try if you already have them.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #176 of 340
Thanks to all of you who gave me recommendations on the Campfire IEMs!  Although I am not part of this tour, I just wanted to say that I received my Lyra today and I'm incredibly pleased.  This should go without saying, but they blow my DUNU Titan's out of the water, haha.  I actually prefer these over my PM-3s which are my usual suspects for portable use.  I decided on the Lyra over the Jupiter because I've realized that I chase accuracy and technicality less and really gravitate toward warm, lush sound signatures that go well with EDM and movies.  I would still love to try the Jupiter one day but I'm very satisfied at the moment.

One question on tips - I live in a small city in China and it's hard to get tips such as JVC or UE tips, so I usually rock Comply tips.  I'm using the included TX-400 tips but has anyone tried the TS-400 or TSX-400 by any chance?

Also, I'm really not a fan of this cable.  I don't notice any microphonics but I find the cable distracting and prone to tangles.  Any recommendations here?  I'm leaning toward Norne Vorpal or Therium since I've had good experience with Trevor in the past.

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #178 of 340
  Thanks to all of you who gave me recommendations on the Campfire IEMs!  Although I am not part of this tour, I just wanted to say that I received my Lyra today and I'm incredibly pleased.  This should go without saying, but they blow my DUNU Titan's out of the water, haha.  I actually prefer these over my PM-3s which are my usual suspects for portable use.  I decided on the Lyra over the Jupiter because I've realized that I chase accuracy and technicality less and really gravitate toward warm, lush sound signatures that go well with EDM and movies.  I would still love to try the Jupiter one day but I'm very satisfied at the moment.

One question on tips - I live in a small city in China and it's hard to get tips such as JVC or UE tips, so I usually rock Comply tips.  I'm using the included TX-400 tips but has anyone tried the TS-400 or TSX-400 by any chance?

Also, I'm really not a fan of this cable.  I don't notice any microphonics but I find the cable distracting and prone to tangles.  Any recommendations here?  I'm leaning toward Norne Vorpal or Therium since I've had good experience with Trevor in the past.

Glad you're enjoying the Lyra. I've tried the TSX 400, their better suited if you don't want the highs attenuated much compared to the TX-400. The Isolation is not as good tho.

My Lyra review is up!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-lyra/reviews/15485

Thanks for posting your review mate! Well done.

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #179 of 340
Hi. A longtime lurker here. Could anyone here who's heard the FIDUE A83 compare the Campfire Audio Jupiter and Lyra to it. I really enjoy the sound of the A83 with my Calyx M. Was wondering how these offerings from Campfire Audio would compare. Would either of them constitute an upgrade assuming my preference for the FIDUE's sound signature? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back