CAMPFIRE AUDIO Australia - New Zealand Tour (Reviews and Impressions) ORION / LYRA / JUPITER / ANDROMEDA
Feb 8, 2016 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 340

d marc0

Headphoneus Supremus

Campfire Audio is an audio design and manufacturing company located in Portland, Oregon USA.
The company began by hand-building cables and audio amplifiers as ALO Audio. Now, they are known for their
wide range of high quality cables, exquisite amplifiers, and other audio setup accessories. ​
ALO Audio is passionate in creating products that provide high quality audio for portable use or home setups.
Last year ALO Audio marked its 10th year on Head-fi and to celebrate this milestone, CAMPFIRE AUDIO was born. A brand with a new focus and vision. Building earphones with high quality components through fine craftsmanship without compromising sound quality. Earphones that will stand up to the riggers of daily use while performing at the highest level
Great sounding earphones.  
Nicely done.

Check out this video!
http://campfireaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Campfire_Audio_Intro_Video.m4v?_=1

Andromeda <-- click for more info

Andromeda combines all the best elements of Campfire Audio's earphone design experience into a single set of earphones. The result is a remarkable and unique sounding earphone with superior top-to-bottom coherence.

1. Five Balanced Armature drivers
  2. CNC'd Aluminum: Individually Machined Aluminum Components.
  3. Detachable Cable: Precision Gold Flashed MMCX

Jupiter <-- click for more info

Simplicity is key in our quad design, one crossover and the critical implementation of a few things out of the ordinary = out of the ordinary sound reproduction. We use the same shell construction as the Orion this time anodized in a brown/bronze color, again proudly hand built in the USA.

1. Quad Balanced Armature: 2 High Frequency Balanced Armature Drivers + 2 Low Frequency Balanced Armature Drivers
  2. CNC'd Aluminum: Individually Machined Aluminum Components.

Lyra <-- click for more info

Our dynamic driver offering, this time we use a super hard ceramic shell and a BE coated driver to again bring something unique to your ears. 

1. Dynamic Driver: Advanced 8.5mm Beryllium PVD Diaphragm Dynamic Driver
  2. Ceramic Body: Ultra High Density Ceramic Chamber

Orion <-- click for more info

With one single full-range BA driver, no crossover, wonderfully flat, uncolored and accurate frequency response, this IEM is a purists dream. Constructed from a solid 6061 aircraft aluminum billet block our IEM shells and all manufacturing is proudly hand built and tuned 100% in Oregon US of A.

1. Balanced Armature: Single Balanced Armature Driver
  2. CNC'd Aluminum: Individually Machined Aluminum Housing
  3. Detachable Cable: Beryllium Copper Hardened MMCX

AUSTRALIA - NEW ZEALAND Tour

Campfire Audio and Ken Ball were kind enough to provide this tour with review units: Jupiter, Lyra, and Orion. These units will be sent to a number of reputable Aussie and Kiwi members for review. They will be rotated on schedule to make sure there's only one review unit at a time for each reviewer. Each member will have the unit for 10 business days excluding transit times and one week to post his review thereafter. The reviews and impressions will be cross-posted to their appropriate Campfire Audio IEM threads:

Everyone is already familiar with the tour guide so there's only one request I'd like to ask: "Please treat the tour unit like it's your very own..."

TOUR MEMBERS: 

New Zealand
@Brooko (Paul)

@daduy (Yudi)
@piksnz (Sayan)

@ade_hall (Ade)

Sydney AUS
@H20Fidelity (Luke) 
@DJScope (Igor)

Melbourne AUS
@Loquah (Lachlan)
@svyr (Vlad)

@Wyd4 (Scott)
@d marc0 (Mark)
@emptymt (Michael)
@NeObliviscaris (Jainash)

Western AUS
@djvkool (Vic)
@fnkcow (Kevin)

REVIEWERS TRACKER

Jupiter 1
Jupiter 2 
Lyra 1     
Lyra 2     
Orion 1   
Orion 2   
H20FidelityLoquahFnkcowWyd4D Marc0DjScope
 FnkcowDjScopeD Marc0LoquahAde_Hall
 Wyd4LoquahAde_HallEmptymtBrooko
 Emptymt PiksnzWyd4Daduy

NeObliviscaris

BrookoNeObliviscarisPiksnz

Piksnz

Daduy  
 Daduy    

Andromeda
NeObliviscaris
Loquah
Emptymt
D Marc0
Brooko
Daduy
Piksnz

Where the review unit's at: GREEN
Full review already posted: BLUE

REVIEW LINKS:

ORION

LYRA

JUPITER

ANDROMEDA

Tour Rules:

• Treat the review unit like it's your very own and have fun!
  • Upon receipt of the review unit, you must post acknowledgement in this thread. 
  • Feel free to post your initial impressions (first thoughts) during your time with the review unit.
  • Full reviews are required in this tour and must be completed a week after sending the unit onwards to the next member. Please post in the Review Section and paste a link on this thread.
  • The review unit must be sent to the next member with tracking and signature. (express post)
  • If anyone in the current list withdraws from the tour, I'm more than happy to accept a replacement subject to approval (based on feedback and reputation).

You may contact me via PM for clarifications and concerns.

Special thanks to @KB and Campfire Audio for making this tour possible.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 340
A few questions regarding Campfire Audio and its new line-up of IEMs...
Interviewee: Ken Ball,  CEO - Campfire Audio; CEO/Founder - ALO Audio

Orion, Lyra, and Jupiter... all three are known celestial wonders; the first two are constellations and Jupiter is of course the largest planet in our solar system. In what way are they relevant to Campfire Audio IEMs?
KB: Not really, we are just loosely sticking to "camping" related associations. Some future models will not be astronomical named.

Burn in - is the process recommended for any of these IEMs? Was there a measurable difference in your tests?
KB: Burn in is not picked up by any current measuring devices at this time. Ears are way more sensitive than any mics at the moment. I did run these units in for 48 hours but I recommend at least 72 hours or more before things start to relax and sound sweet.

What are the included cables? Can you please provide more information on the reasons behind the choice of materials?
KB: Some people complain about our stock cables but I went way out of the way to make the stock cable physically robust and sound good. It uses FEP jacket instead of PVC, FEP is far more physically resistant to scratching, tearing, chemically resistant to oils and sweat. It is also a far better dielectric so sounds wider than PVC. We also use solid BE copper MMCX, not softer brass. The reason why people are complaining about the stock cable is because the FEP is stiffer and has a "memory" so it can get tangled easily. I think my next big production run I will change to something other than FEP. Finally I cryo treat all my stock IEM cables in my cryo processor here and it makes a big difference in the dynamics of the cable.

Jupiter comes with 3.5mm single ended and a 2.5mm balanced cable, all others a 3.5mm SE cable.

I've noticed in all the official photos of the IEMs they sport foam tips. Are these the recommended ear tips?
KB: We like the memory foam tips for everything, I think the silicone might be ok for some people on the Jupiter and Orion. However for the Lyra we highly recommend the foam tips only. We include many tips because we know how important a proper fit is, if you don't have a good fit the IEM will not sound good no matter how good it is. Please experiment with ALL tips to find the right match for your ears. 

Is there a Campfire Audio "house sound" or is there a specific target market (sound signature) for these IEMs?
KB: We want a sound that tends to be more natural and wide, we do not like anything harsh or fatiguing. I personally prefer the sound of a dynamic driver over BAs, but I know there will be people who like BAs over dynamic drivers and that is great. 

Anything special about Campfire Audio that sets it apart from the big players?
KB: Yes, everything we are doing is NOT off the shelf, we are custom tuning everything and from the ground up. I do not copy anything anyone else is doing as a designer. We also do all our own mechanical designs as well as our own tuning. We use some parts that are unconventional as well as have some proprietary components. This is a very competitive industry so I do not want to get into specifics but we are really proud and happy with the direction of our product and the sound. We feel we have a very bright future and more than anything we want customers to be happy with what we are making. We want more than anything our look and sound to stand out and not be like what every one else is doing. We are small with just 5 employees all housed in one building in SE Portland, we are all very passionate about what we are making as it defines us as a company as well as individuals. 

What can we expect from you in the years to come?
KB: We have big plans and big hopes, I feel like I really am about to hit my stride here. So you will of course see our headphones coming out in 2016, as well as of course new models of campfire IEMs. We have some very exciting things we will release in the future of course all this hinges on the happiness and support now of our customers. 

We hope people are happy with their Campfire IEMs and feel good about their purchase. I know deeply and personally just now important music is to ones life and what it does and means. I also know that $899 is a lot of cabbage for someone to plunk down so I want the IEM to meet that expectation. I know that customers have a lot of options for their listening needs today. We hope to bring something different to the mix and hope that customers, especially head-fi customers will consider our product. As a very long time sponsor of head-fi (over 10 years now) I am very sensitive to the community and a big fan we hope we will make people happy. 

UNBOXING CAMPFIRE AUDIO IEMs

Orion

Lyra

Jupiter

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 340
I had the opportunity of asking a few questions to Ken Ball, the man behind the success of ALO Audio and responsible for the birth Campfire Audio.
Find out some interesting facts about the new line-up of IEMs that Ken and his team have designed and manufactured from the ground up.
The Q&A is posted above ^ 

Special thanks to @KB 

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 340
Great news guys!

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 340
OP updated with unboxing photos... enjoy!

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 340
Nice stuff Mark. Looking pretty flash.

Thanks to your photography tips I've improved quite a bit.

Check out the Reviewers Tracker updated on the OP. You're scheduled to review the Jupiter.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #10 of 340
Thanks to your photography tips I've improved quite a bit.

Check out the Reviewers Tracker updated on the OP. You're scheduled to review the Jupiter.

Yeah, the shots and packaging look absolutely amazing. Really vibrant, eye catching. The boxing reminds me of something, can't place my finger on it.

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 340
Yeah, the shots and packaging look absolutely amazing. Really vibrant, eye catching. The boxing reminds me of something, can't place my finger on it.

Awesome packaging I must say. Hated the feeling of breaking the seal coz it's just so nice!

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 340
Not on the tour, but I thought I'd chime in. I live in Portland, OR and never thought of visiting ALO before one of my headfi buddies was telling me how much he enjoys the ALO Rx. I started looking into the Rx and found out ALO was not only in Portland but was just a few blocks from where my wife lived when we first started dating. What a small world!

Anyways, I PM'ed Ken to see if I could get listen to the Rx. After a bit of back n forth, we found a time that worked for both of us. To my surprise, when I showed up Ken and Caleb didn't have an Rx on the table. Instead, he had the Campfire Audio IEM. Lyra was finalized, but Orion and Jupiter were near-final prototypes. Then Ken pulled out an AK380, handed that over, and invited me to listen. How awesome is that!

I'll be honest, Orion wasn't my cup of tea, but I could easily see saving up for Lyra or Jupiter. BTW, Lyra is Ken's tuning and Jupiter is Caleb's tuning. If I could get just one, it'd be Jupiter. You guys are in for a treat!

After the listening session, Ken showed me around the rest of ALO HQ. We measured Orion on the gear Vitaly (owner of 64 Audio) helped him set up. He related to me just how long they've been developing these IEM and how they're made locally. In fact, some of the work is done just a mile or two from the house I grew up in. How cool is that?!?

I even got a listen to some amazing planar headphones Ken made just for himself :L3000:

Again, I know it's not tour-related, but I thought you guys might enjoy the story.
:beerchug:

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 340
Not on the tour, but I thought I'd chime in. I live in Portland, OR and never thought of visiting ALO before one of my headfi buddies was telling me how much he enjoys the ALO Rx. I started looking into the Rx and found out ALO was not only in Portland but was just a few blocks from where my wife lived when we first started dating. What a small world!

Anyways, I PM'ed Ken to see if I could get listen to the Rx. After a bit of back n forth, we found a time that worked for both of us. To my surprise, when I showed up Ken and Caleb didn't have an Rx on the table. Instead, he had the Campfire Audio IEM. Lyra was finalized, but Orion and Jupiter were near-final prototypes. Then Ken pulled out an AK380, handed that over, and invited me to listen. How awesome is that!

I'll be honest, Orion wasn't my cup of tea, but I could easily see saving up for Lyra or Jupiter. BTW, Lyra is Ken's tuning and Jupiter is Caleb's tuning. If I could get just one, it'd be Jupiter. You guys are in for a treat!

After the listening session, Ken showed me around the rest of ALO HQ. We measured Orion on the gear Vitaly (owner of 64 Audio) helped him set up. He related to me just how long they've been developing these IEM and how they're made locally. In fact, some of the work is done just a mile or two from the house I grew up in. How cool is that?!?

I even got a listen to some amazing planar headphones Ken made just for himself :L3000:

Again, I know it's not tour-related, but I thought you guys might enjoy the story.
:beerchug:

No, don't apologise for sharing such a wonderful story. Thank you for that. This is what the community is all about.

How I wish to be in the same situation. I'd love to meet innovative people like Ken and Caleb. Too bad we're so far down under... But who knows maybe one day.

Thanks again!

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 340
If you make it to Portland, 64 Audio and ALO will be on the list of things to do. And if you're a beer fan, I'll take you to some excellent beer cafes and brewpubs!
beerchug.gif

That's so cool!

Mighty nice of you mate...
Also if you happen to end up in Melbourne on a holiday let me know!
We can organise a head-fi mini-meet
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back