Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Campfire Audio Jupiter  › Reviews › NeObliviscaris's Review

Like the planets of the solar system, the Jupiter’s sound is as big as its namesake.

A Review On: Campfire Audio Jupiter

Campfire Audio Jupiter

Rated # 35 in Universal Fit
NeObliviscaris

Pros: great all-round sound signature, comfortable (with right fit), detailed and rich sound quality

Cons: can be quite sibilant, expensive, microphonic cable, fit dependant on tips

Pros: great all-round sound signature, comfortable (with right fit), detailed and rich sound quality

Cons: can be quite sibilant, expensive, microphonic cable, fit dependant on tips

Disclaimer:

I received this Campfire Jupiter as part of the Australian/New Zealand tour that ALO Audio/Ken Bell arranged. This is my honest opinion of the Campfire Jupiter, and I am in no way affiliated with or work for ALO Audio. Thanks to @d marc0 for organising this and letting me join in a little late.

In addition, this review will not focus on technical aspects of the equipment. Rather I will focus on their representation of music to me. My enjoyment or boredom, bliss or disappointment with the equipment. Think of it as an emotional review.

Introduction:

OK, so I told myself last year – “just get back to Head-Fi, find a suitable setup, and leave…” I’m still here, after realising that the community had matured so much since last decade, yep 2009! The ability to now take part in tours and auditions opened up a whole new world of experiences. Now I was able to test out some great equipment, without the commitment, it’s like Friends with Benefits.

Thus far I have been given the opportunity to review the Aune X1S, Jays q-Jays and the Campfire Orions. This time round, I was given the opportunity to take some more IEMs for a spin – introducing the Campfire Jupiter in-earphones

Official product page: https://www.campfireaudio.com/jupiter/

Hardware:

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

Like the Orions, the Campfire box carries its signature “lost in space” box, and the Jupiter’s sitting cosy in the fur-lined carry case.

The contents of the box included:

• Campfire Jupiter IEM ear pieces
  • MMCX terminated, silver-plated IEM Cable (1.35m) with gold-plated 3.5mm L-plug (2x)
  • Tips:
    • 3 pairs of Comply TX 400 tips (S, M, L)
    • 3 pairs of foam tips (S, M, L)
    • 3 pairs of silicon tips (S, M, L)
  • Cleaning tool
  • Carry case
  • Campfire Audio logo pin
  • User guide

RRP: $899 USD (~$1,250 AUD)

BUILD & DESIGN

There’s not much more I can add from my write-up of the Orions build and design. There is a distinct craftsman ship that Campfire Audio have now defined. Again, in their words “four balanced armature drivers and tubeless resonator in a machined aluminium enclosure”. These things are solid, I am pretty sure you could easily drive over them (not that I did…!)

TECH SPECS

Driver: Four Balanced Armature Drivers
Impedance: 30 OHM @ 1 KHZ
Sensitivity:  114 DB SPL/MW
Frequency Response: 10 HZ – 28K HZ

About Me:

As with any tour or review, these are my opinions and observations with the Campfire Orion and my hardware. For the purpose of this audition, I used the following equipment –

Source: iPod Classic/iPhone 6S using a mixture of Apple Lossless and MP3 files

Amplifier/DAC: HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp/DAC

Headphones: 1964Ears V3 (for comparison)

My taste in music is quite peculiar and focuses heavily on heavy metal – in all forms (from death to Viking, from prog to heavy, from Pagan to Mongolian!). A majority of my listening was with bands such as Iron Maiden, Fallujah, and Caligula’s Horse & Ne Obliviscaris. However, I still enjoy a variety of genres, so also included Jazz, Blues, Rock, and Classical.

The Listening Experience:

Music listened to for this review:

Idina Menzel (female vocal)

Delta Goodrem (female vocal)

Opeth (progressive metal)

Fallujah (atmospheric technical death metal)

Ne Obliviscaris (progressive black metal)

Gojira (technical death metal)

Caligula’s Horse (progressive rock)

Hans Zimmer (soundtrack)

My initial impressions were:

Bass: beautifully controlled but are full impact

Highs: female vocals are brilliant but the sibilance can hit hard

Comments: at first listen, I was blown-away. After the Orion’s, I was worried Campfire Audio would not be suited for the fast and complex Metal I listen to, but the Jupiter changed that!

Comments: wow, this are fantastic. They literally took all my genres and just did some pagan magick!

I stared at Microsoft Word for over half an hour listening to these IEMs before I could even figure out how to objectively write about these IEMs, without fanboying all over the place. But I just couldn’t – these IEMs are phenomenal! They absolutely blow me away. Considering how dismal the Orions were for some of the quicker and more complex metal songs I had in my review playlist, the Jupiters filled that gap. But that is expected when you jump from Entry Level to near Flagship/TOTL level. From one driver to FIVE!

Kicking off with some Ne Obliviscaris, the Jupiters portrayed the complex progressive black metal as I expect the band intended. Quick guitars and drums, and the exchange of death growls and soprano usually leave headphones and earphones struggling. The Jupiters not only kept up with the speed and complexity, but managed to provide great instrument separation and a sparse soundstage.

From pop to classical, from soundtrack to obscure metal the Jupiter’s continued to perform without any fault. I tried to find a way to fault these, I thought that I’d be able to run a genre though and find something wrong, but I just couldn’t. Aside from one tiny setback with sibilance on some vocal tracks like Delta Goodrem & Idina Menzel, although that didn’t wholly ruin the listening experience.

In terms of the IEMs themselves – fit/isolation was fantastic, although they are dependent on the tips. I had a couple of issues with fit at the start, but after trying a few variations I managed to settle on the large foam. The cables were also quite microphonic, every time I moved around or adjusted my glasses I could hear noise. However, none of these totally hampered my listening experience.

Value & Conclusion:

These are spectacular earphones, to date possible the best set of IEMs I’ve experienced. The sound signature fit my genre to a T, and I felt myself wanting to listen to music more and more with these. My only qualm is how expensive these are, but that could be said with our hobby in general. If these came in a custom moulded variation for the same price, I would confidently consider these good value. However, as a universal model, the price (especially when converted to AUD) is a bit over the high-end.

The worst part of reviewing technology like this, is wanting to keep them after you spend a week with them. I’ve only experienced this a couple of times, and now the Jupiter’s are on the list of “oh I wish I could just keep them”. They are fantastic, and I don’t doubt that if you buy these, you will not be let down.

Thanks again to ALO, Ken and Mark for the opportunity to take these for a spin!

Nice review. These are certainly on my watch list and I think we have similar tastes in music. I'm looking to upgrade from Shure SE425 and I mostly use IEMs for OTG listening. What was the isolation like on the Jupiter's compared to other IEM's you've tried? Has anyone any thoughts on a comparison between these and SE846 or JHA Rosie - specifically for the metal genre and OTG listening?
FYI:

I made a mistake, the Andromeda has FIVE drivers as per the website: http://www.campfireaudio.com/andromeda/

The Jupiter has FOUR drivers: http://www.campfireaudio.com/jupiter/