CAMPFIRE AUDIO Australia - New Zealand Tour (Reviews and Impressions) ORION / LYRA / JUPITER / ANDROMEDA
Feb 24, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #76 of 340

Beautiful indeed! I hope you get to try them, coz they sound absolutely fantastic.
If you like natural and neutral sound, the Jupiter is one of the best I've tried.
Reviews will soon be posted so stay tuned.

Yup watching the space 

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #77 of 340
  Tomorrow I'm preparing photos for my Jupiter review then sending them onwards to Mr Brooks in New Zealand.

My tour reviews are taking a different approach this year to regular reviews.

They will be slightly shorter but cut to the chase.

Really interested to see your final review mate.
I like concise reviews and you are more than capable of delivering a great write-up.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #79 of 340
  Tomorrow I'm preparing photos for my Jupiter review then sending them onwards to Mr Brooks in New Zealand.

My tour reviews are taking a different approach this year to regular reviews.

They will be slightly shorter but cut to the chase.

The way reviews should be.

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #81 of 340
Suffice to say the trip didn't go quite as planned - no issues, but didn't get review done. Finishing it today hopefully...

It's all good mate, what's important is you enjoy your time with the Jupiter. Looking forward to it. I quite miss them... a neutral sounding signature that's pretty much in line with my preference. Maybe it's too early to call it, but the Jupiter may be a direct upgrade to the StageDiver 2. This is based on a few minutes of comparison, so please take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Lyra unit is on the way to @DJScope. Hopefully get to post up my thoughts by next week

Thanks buddy!

Any brief impressions? I really like how the Lyra fit my ears. They seem to "disappear" after a few minutes of wearing them. I also find the sound quite dynamic and engaging.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #82 of 340
I've narrowed down my IEM search to the Jupiter and Lyra based on reviews and build quality, but I'm still not quite sure which IEM is the right fit for me.  I listen to EDM, acoustic guitars, soundtracks, progressive rock, some pop and female vocals and I generally prefer a more "musical" sound signature... this seems to be Lyra's strength, is that right?  Also can anyone compare the build quality and comfort (and of course overall sound, especially the sub-bass) of these two IEMs?

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #83 of 340
I've narrowed down my IEM search to the Jupiter and Lyra based on reviews and build quality, but I'm still not quite sure which IEM is the right fit for me.  I listen to EDM, acoustic guitars, soundtracks, progressive rock, some pop and female vocals and I generally prefer a more "musical" sound signature... this seems to be Lyra's strength, is that right?  Also can anyone compare the build quality and comfort (and of course overall sound, especially the sub-bass) of these two IEMs?

I can see that you have the DUNU Titan and Vsonic GR07 Be. Two really well tuned Iems IMHO. Do you like the same sound signature or are you after a more V-shape this time?

JUPITER is closer closer to them both in terms of overall balance. Key difference is the Jupiter bass is more closer to neutral. So if you're seeking more bass slam, Lyra is the better option.

Lyra is tuned to be fun sounding. Maybe a little bit warmer than the GR07be. But the mids and highs on the latter is more linear - female vocals and cymbals sound more intimate. LYRA has the more engaging sound because of the added bass slam coupled with treble energy to match a more V shaped signature. Kinda reminds me of the Tpeos H300 but slightly less treble energy.

update: PLS NOTE I was using JVC spiral dot tips with LYRA, resulting more treble energy and lesser warmth when compared to Comply foam tips.

Hope that helps.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #84 of 340

Hi, I'm really interested in the Jupiter and so very keen on the reviews or impressions to come in from this tour. I went to listen to both the Lyra and the Jupiter at a local store last week and had a lengthy audition.

My impressions follow. 

Build quality: I believe the Lyra is an incredibly beautiful IEM. It is made out of ceramic, black, polished and smooth, great size, comfortable and just stunning overall—especially in contrast with the white cabling. In contrast, I find the aluminium body of the Jupiter to be quite bulky, there are visible joins, and the aluminium casing displays grooves and markings from the manufacturing process (or intentional, I cannot say). The point is, on looks alone, I would say that the Lyra is far ahead of the Jupiter.

Sound quality: Despite my clear preference for the Lyra, I could not get into the sound. I listened to the Jupiter first, and the Lyra second so this may have coloured my impression. What I can say about the Lyra is that it does a good job at everything, but doesn't have the fun engaging sound of the Jupiter. For the Jupiter I found that the bass and the detail and texture on the lower end of the sound to be something completely new to me (I have a Chord Mojo and have been listening to the Sony XBA-H3s and AKG-702s) which was very thrilling. In addition to that, the mids and highs were well controlled even at higher volumes and filled out an enjoyable overall sound for the IEM. I really wanted to engage in the same way with the Lyra, given its reduced cost and (to me) stunning looks, but I found that overall the sound was flatter, perhaps with less highlights or audible landmarks at any sound range to pull in my attention. 

My personal conclusion is that for the money, I could justify purchasing a Jupiter but not the Lyra—the latter sounds perhaps too close to my existing gear, like the AKG-702 headphones. 

Looking forward to further impressions from others. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #86 of 340
Thank you d marc0 and okakura for your helpful insight!

@d marc0: I actually find both of my IEMs to be a bit too neutral for me.  I suppose I'm a recovering basshead, as I sold my HE-400i and upgraded to the ZMF Omni which has rich, weighty bass (especially sub-bass).  I don't like bass that bleeds into other frequencies (either veiled vocals or recessed vocals, like my old klipsch s4 IEM or beats headphones), but I suppose from my experience I do want a good bass slam or rumble to go with my favored music genres.  From your comments, it sounds like the Lyra might be better for me.

@okakura: I can certainly believe that the Jupiter may have a more balanced signature (esp with its BA drivers).  Interesting that you find the Jupiter more engaging ... how would you compare the bass of the two?  And were vocals more recessed on the Lyra compared the Jupiter?

Thanks again for your thoughts!  Decisions, decisions...

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #87 of 340

@d marc0: I actually find both of my IEMs to be a bit too neutral for me.  I suppose I'm a recovering basshead, as I sold my HE-400i and upgraded to the ZMF Omni which has rich, weighty bass (especially sub-bass).  I don't like bass that bleeds into other frequencies (either veiled vocals or recessed vocals, like my old klipsch s4 IEM or beats headphones), but I suppose from my experience I do want a good bass slam or rumble to go with my favored music genres.  From your comments, it sounds like the Lyra might be better for me.

@okakura: I can certainly believe that the Jupiter may have a more balanced signature (esp with its BA drivers).  Interesting that you find the Jupiter more engaging ... how would you compare the bass of the two?  And were vocals more recessed on the Lyra compared the Jupiter?

You're welcome. Vocals on the Lyra is recessed relative to the bass and treble making it V-shaped in sound signature.
You can check out @WCDchee Jupiter review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-jupiter/reviews/15172

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #88 of 340

What I can say is that the bass on the Jupiter is much more powerful, almost physically punchy. I have been using a Sony XBA-H3, which are known to be bassy, and while the volume and quantity of the bass on the H3s are ample given the huge 16mm dynamic driver, the bass on the Jupiter matched the intensity of the H3s but had much more detail and texture. I don't really have a comment based on the vocals, I can't remember any specific impressions as I was listening for other things. 

Thanks for pointing out the review by @WCDchee I really enjoyed reading it. 

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #90 of 340
Oh wow, the Jupiter had more bass impact than the Lyra? For some reason I thought it was the other way around.

No, it doesn't. okakura might be describing his experience without volume matching the two IEMs. The Jupiter sound signature allows you to increase the volume at a higher level, thus the bass quantity is more heard/felt.

Volume matching at 1khz, the Lyra could easily be 5-10 db louder than the Jupiter at 50hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back