Campfire Audio Ara
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #136 of 316
Glad my review helps. In terms of ergonomics, the difference between the Ara & Solaris 2020 is not day and night. Personally, I prefer the Ara. YMMV, of course. Since you have the Solaris SE already, both the Ara & Solaris 2020 will definitely offer better ergonomics. Cheers.

Brilliant. 30% smaller sounds reassuring.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #138 of 316
Aight so the time for me to share some preliminary impression of the Ara has finally come! Now, before you light me on fire for my criticism, I have to say that I think this is an awesome IEM, and I would recommend it at its price point, as well as any price point. The reason why I purchased it was that I was looking for a CFA IEM to buy for a while now (because my brain said I wanted one, I got no better reason for you), and considering my seriously dislike for the Solaris 2020, the Ara seemed like the best option all around. I also loved the Andromeda 2020 actually, but considering how many Andromedas I've tried and owned I decided to simply move on at this point

First and foremost - the build is exceptional. It is light, it is comfortable, the titanium looks and feels amazing. I can't really say anything other than, 10/10

The sound - The subbass has a clear emphasis over the midbass, but they're both rather neutral, with really good speed and control - pretty much you everyday typical BA bass. Doesn't really do anything wrong, sounds pleasant and light, rather reference-y. The treble is in line with the treble that CFA is known for - amazing sparkle, great control, and all around some of the better treble money can buy. Ever since I owned the Andromeda S about an year ago the treble has left an impression on me and how euphonic its presentation is

The Ara is also very revealing, with great imaging coupled with a large soundstage. The level of technicalities punches above its price point imo, and matches many TOTLs on the market

Now, before I go off on a rant, I have to say that the Ara's midrange texture is a significant step up from that of the Solaris 2020 (as well as most if not all other CFA models), which has pretty much become my reference for absolutely terrible midrange texture. Not only that, I find that the light, texture-free BA bass of the Ara actually matches its midrange well, and makes for a great listen all around - can't say the same about the Solaris 2020, but where coherency is concerned, the Ara has nailed it.

(As many of you know, where mids are concerned, I have a sickness for thickness, so do take my midrange impressions with a grain of salt)

// Begin rant

Now, in the case of the Ara I don't quite understand why CFA decided to go with a full 4 BA drivers for the bass and a single BA midrange driver. The treble is quite impeccable so that doesn't need much of a discussion, but I feel like the 4 drivers to cover BA bass that sounds spot on like BA bass is just a massive overkill. The VE Elysium pretty much performs similar if not almost identical bass with a single BA, and it sounds nice, light and pleasant. I'm not saying that the bass on the Ara sounds wrong, I'm just suggesting 2 or 3 of those BAs could comfortably be put towards a better textured midrange.

Much like a single BA can produce supporting, but not quite satisfying bass, a single BA can produce a light and easy midrange but not one that is quite worthy of the big leagues.

CFA have proven themselves to be one of the most capable companies where IEM tuning is concerned, and I'd personally like to see how far that can go

// End rant

Now, my rant aside - I can easily say that the Ara will be a very popular IEM, and deservedly so - it has amazing tonal balance, a light signature all around, and the best midrange CFA have achieved in any of their IEMs so far. I'd personally move away from the single BA midrange, as I just don't feel like that can get the job done well enough, but regardless, the Ara is certainly a keeper, and my favourite CFA IEM so far.

IMG_1896.jpg

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #139 of 316
I know it will vary per person but I do highly recommend the Sedna Earfits for the Aras. Helps enhance the bass while maintaining the musical neutrality with impressive staging. I prefer them to the Symbios, spiral dots, and all foam tips so far for these.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #141 of 316
Economy of scale (based off the Andro Gold)? Idk 🤷

Veeery nice picture btw :relaxed:

64 Audio are able to offer a higher driver count in their Nio model for example while costing around the same price so this argument doesn't hold water. I've never understood why CA use a single driver for their mids especially seeing as that is where the majority of the information is really perceivable to the human ear.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #143 of 316
64 Audio are able to offer a higher driver count in their Nio model for example while costing around the same price so this argument doesn't hold water. I've never understood why CA use a single driver for their mids especially seeing as that is where the majority of the information is really perceivable to the human ear.

Yeah, the operative part of my reply really was idk 🤷🏼‍♂️ 😊

What you say makes sense though.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #147 of 316
Just got the Ara.

After listening to 2-3 songs and comparing them with my Andromeda Special Edition: Gold, they're now packed and ready to head back to my local dealer hoping they're willing to take them back… Nota bene: I have to "buy blind" — yay Switzerland!

In a nutshell, they have, as predicted:
  • Less bass than the Andro Gold
  • Mids a tad more forward than the Andro Gold
  • Highs less sparkly than the Andro Gold
Last but not least: fit and finish isn't as good as on the Andro Gold but it's ok.

Quick & Dirty Q&A:
  • Are they comparable to the Andro Gold?
    No!

• I have the Andro Gold, should I get the Ara?
    Not unless you have 1.4k to throw away *or* can demo them *or* don't like the slightest low-end feel / rumble.

• In-between the Ara and Andro Gold, which should I take?
    The Andro Gold, 2nd hand, any day of the week.

• I never heard the Andro Gold, would you still recommend the Ara?
    If you were interested in the Andro Gold based on my review (or any other positive review) of them, no.
    Otherwise, perhaps. Maybe the 2020 Solaris if you'd like more bass? (Never heard them—just to be clear.)

• What did you like about the Ara (even compared to the Andro Gold)?
    The mids and a more intimate feeling perhaps? The lows are… idk, interesting?

• What didn't you like about the Ara:
    The lows which you can hear but *barely* feel (not that they're crazy BOOM on the Andro Gold) and, paradoxically, too intimate perhaps?

• Your conclusion:
    No wonder the Gold were a special edition…

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #148 of 316
Just got the Ara.

After listening to 2-3 songs and comparing them with my Andromeda Special Edition: Gold, they're now packed and ready to head back to my local dealer hoping they're willing to take them back… Nota bene: I have to "buy blind" — yay Switzerland!

In a nutshell, they have, as predicted:
  • Less bass than the Andro Gold
  • Mids a tad more forward than the Andro Gold
  • Highs less sparkly than the Andro Gold
Last but not least: fit and finish isn't as good as on the Andro Gold but it's ok.

Quick & Dirty Q&A:
  • Are they comparable to the Andro Gold?
    No!

• I have the Andro Gold, should I get the Ara?
    Not unless you have 1.4k to throw away *or* can demo them *or* don't like the slightest low-end feel / rumble.

• In-between the Ara and Andro Gold, which should I take?
    The Andro Gold, 2nd hand, any day of the week.

• I never heard the Andro Gold, would you still recommend the Ara?
    If you were interested in the Andro Gold based on my review (or any other positive review) of them, no.
    Otherwise, perhaps. Maybe the 2020 Solaris if you'd like more bass? (Never heard them—just to be clear.)

• What did you like about the Ara (even compared to the Andro Gold)?
    The mids and a more intimate feeling perhaps? The lows are… idk, interesting?

• What didn't you like about the Ara:
    The lows which you can hear but *barely* feel (not that they're crazy BOOM on the Andro Gold) and, paradoxically, too intimate perhaps?

• Your conclusion:
    No wonder the Gold were a special edition…
Very cool review! Thanks! You definitely have clear preferences. Hopefully I get to hear the Andro Golds one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back