Campfire Audio Ara
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #151 of 316
Would y'all recommend the Ara or the Solaris 2020 if I primarily listen to acoustic/vocal as well as classic rock and some occasional classical?
Can you listen to them? In general, I believe Campfire made a huge leap forward with their 2020 models. While I believe that original Solaris is just !@#$, I was impressed with their work on the mistakes with 2020 version. It sounded more mature and elaborate. A little bit too narrow for my taste, but unquestionably better. However, classical music for example is still their weak spot, as they sounded muffled. So, they are still leaning towards bass in sound signature. And yeah, they are much smaller and more comfortable to wear.
Ara for that matter is just the best IEM I ever heard to this point (have not heard VE, 64Audio, Dunu Luna, crazy stuff like Thumiums or Erlkonigs). Currently saving money to buy them, as they are really magnificent. In comparison with absolute boredom of Andromeda 2019 (will also compare Ara to Andromeda 2020 a little bit later) they sound vivid but even more technical at the same time. Very clear, natural and engaging sound. Mids are slightly forwarded, and on old poor quality tracks can be a little bit harsh. The only thing I would really like to improve in them is space between instruments while having the same clarity and brightness, but aside from that they are almost flawless. And at this price...I mean 5500AUD$ A&K Layla Aion with more than twice as many drivers is worse. Not by a margin, but still. However, should be stressed out that I prefer very linear sound, so if you like bass oomphs, than Ara is probably not for you. Then again you return to Solaris 2020 version. Much better than Sony Z1R, while the previous model was worse, from my view at least.

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #152 of 316
Nice review.

To complement this paragraph:

This impression will be further reinforced with the silicone tips.

Indeed, based on my experience with the Andromeda Special Edition: Gold:

• Foam tips: where's the bass?
  • Final E tips: Ah-ah! There it is!
  • Silicone tips: bobbing head :dark_sunglasses:

As I'm planning to get the Ara as a complement to the Gold, I know for a fact that I'll need the silicone tips.

I found that with BAs, the deeper the insertion the better bass you'll get, i.e. if you like it.

If anyone can physically explain it though, I'd be interested,

Would you recommend Spinfits? cp360’s seem to work great on my Polaris v2. I’m afraid the Acoustune are tuners and would ruin the profile like the Symbios do for me.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #154 of 316
Following up on my first impressions, I just posted up my full review of the CFA Ara on Everyday Listening. I believe I'm mirroring what a lot have said already here so will make a quick statement.

This is the most reference design from Campfire by a long shot and one of the least bass emphasized, despite have great bass qualities. That is not to say that it is a reference earphone in isolation, though very balanced with a deep fit (reduces brightness to some degree), the Ara has bolstered midrange body that, to me, makes it a bit more listenable than most earphones going for a diffuse-field neutral kind of sound. It also has a bump in the lower-treble and a bit more sparkle than usual alongside excellent detail retrieval, the most in CFA's entire non-special edition line-up. I believe the imaging is a true highlight as well, though not as sparkly as the Andro and Solaris, the presentation is more organised and the Ara has sharper localisation which makes it a very immersive listen.

As always, stay well and happy listening, I hope this review provides some insight for those on the fence, cheers!

DSC08385.jpg

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #155 of 316
Had a chance to audition the Ara today and really enjoyed them. Also A/B tested them against the AAW Halcyon and the ZMF Verite Closed (I know... But hey, they were there so...). In terms of timbre they actually were somewhat reminiscent of the VCs, however up against the AAW Halcyon, they were rather polite, balanced and neutral to my ears. To describe it another way, they were 'vanila' in the best way possible, and I absolutely love vanilla ice cream (works on warm pie and in root beer floats), but for those who lean towards rocky road, I would suggest auditioning them before getting your two scoops on a sugar cone to go.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #156 of 316
While this is a combined review with analysis/comparison of new Campfire Releases (Andro '20, Solaris '20, and ARA), I actually put more emphasis on comparison between these three, including the new ARA.

cfa-2020-x07.jpg

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #157 of 316
While this is a combined review with analysis/comparison of new Campfire Releases (Andro '20, Solaris '20, and ARA), I actually put more emphasis on comparison between these three, including the new ARA.
Nice review! Have you already tried 64 audio Nio? How does it go in comparison to Campfires? Cause there is a promotion which makes it cost as much as ARA.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #158 of 316
Nice review! Have you already tried 64 audio Nio? How does it go in comparison to Campfires? Cause there is a promotion which makes it cost as much as ARA.

I posted quite a few graphs and impressions in 64audio thread, regarding Nio (it has more elevated bass/sub-bass and a lot smoother treble relative to Solaris). But I'm not done with a testing yet. Regarding comparison to ARA, it's apples/oranges, a lot more bass, warmer/smoother mids, a lot smoother treble.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #159 of 316

Promo link? You’ve piqued my tortured interest as I’ve been saving up for these for a while.

Jul 7, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #160 of 316
Promo link? You’ve piqued my tortured interest as I’ve been saving up for these for a while.
Not sure about USA. But promo, I believe, is worlwide. You just get balanced cable for free. So, Ara + balanced cable = Nio

I posted quite a few graphs and impressions in 64audio thread, regarding Nio (it has more elevated bass/sub-bass and a lot smoother treble relative to Solaris). But I'm not done with a testing yet. Regarding comparison to ARA, it's apples/oranges, a lot more bass, warmer/smoother mids, a lot smoother treble.
Ok, thx for the impression. I thought they are quite similar,but if not than Nio is not for me. My sound preferences are more or less in Ara area.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #161 of 316
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #162 of 316
i demo'ed the Ara's today for about 2 hours

TLDR

prefer the Andromeda Golds personally. But the mids in the Ara are better and vocals cleaner. But everything else, *especially* lows, prefer Golds

Saved me a lot of money, lol.

Also demo'ed solaris 2020

I still dont like Solaris :/

ierz1r and andro golds will remain my dual dailies

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #163 of 316
Longtime Shure SE846 user, and I must say I’m very intrigued by the Ara. Wondering if anyone has any input coming from SE846. I was always scared of Campfire Audio cuz I thought many models looked very uncomfortable, but it sounds like the comfort is dialed in here! All input is appreciated and valued!

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #164 of 316
Longtime Shure SE846 user, and I must say I’m very intrigued by the Ara. Wondering if anyone has any input coming from SE846. I was always scared of Campfire Audio cuz I thought many models looked very uncomfortable, but it sounds like the comfort is dialed in here! All input is appreciated and valued!
People somewhat hate me for my comments contrasting Shure and CA, so I have to be careful here. I have switched from Shure SE846 to Andromeda and it's since been six months. Leaving aside the SQ, which I think you know where I'm going with by now, I've adjusted to Andromeda. It is comfortable to me, admittedly Shure was a bit easier since I have small ear canals, but I don't feel Andromeda in my ears anymore. I'm wearing it all day. Don't go into Solaris since it's big, but Andromeda is ok and Ara looks similar. Now, the person before me has mentioned that Andromeda Gold > Ara, and I would take this advice. And I have the first Andromeda, which is the edgiest.

Jul 12, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #165 of 316
People somewhat hate me for my comments contrasting Shure and CA, so I have to be careful here. I have switched from Shure SE846 to Andromeda and it's since been six months. Leaving aside the SQ, which I think you know where I'm going with by now, I've adjusted to Andromeda. It is comfortable to me, admittedly Shure was a bit easier since I have small ear canals, but I don't feel Andromeda in my ears anymore. I'm wearing it all day. Don't go into Solaris since it's big, but Andromeda is ok and Ara looks similar. Now, the person before me has mentioned that Andromeda Gold > Ara, and I would take this advice. And I have the first Andromeda, which is the edgiest.

I feel like a lot of the people suggesting the Andromeda Gold over the Ara, currently own the AG. Obviously it was a special edition and limited in quantity and no one wants to let theirs go without a replacement or upgrade that’s sentimentally or financially worth it.

From what I’ve seen on eBay and whatnot is plenty of CA limited being resold by Asian folk (where a lot of those cool white and light blue editions were exclusives) for 1.5x - 3x the MSRP.

I just think it’s a little disingenuous to rec the AG to anyone who isn’t already an owner (so they can save their money and not also get an Ara).

That being said. I wish I had an Andromeda Gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back