Cambridge meet impressions, 25 April 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #152 of 196
Who can forget Oscar's rega planar and his huge cd player running through an anaconda? All sat on solid platforms of veneer.
My first purchase was a headphone stand. Oscar sells them from £14.99 which includes free delivery!
The meet highlighted once again the need to have one to properly show off your phone's , to minimise the risk of them falling off the tables and to have an easy quick and safe way for fellow headfiers to handle them.
Moreover they look much nicer at home. And where better to spend your money than with Oscar?

I also bought an OTG usb hdmi hub for my Note 2. I'm in unknown territory here, I believe (from Paul and Phil) this is the way I can connect my phone to a usb device for audio so my phone can be played through the O2 or Dacmagic Plus. Apparently it'll need rooting. Naimless, is that what you did to get your phone playing with the oppo

Thanks for the order ,the huge cd player was a pioneer one this was plugged into the Beresford Capella sounds even better through the Sprout that I was lucky enough to win .I'm now looking into getting a NAS and a Raspberry pi to stream some music (pull myself into modern tech).
Really regret not listening to more gear I did manage to listen to Dillan's setup early in the day sounded superb plus the full Chord set up ,my vinyl setup was sent to another level with the loan of the Chord phono stage !

May 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #154 of 196

Many thanks to Mark, Andy and Andys Family, another highly interesting day. However, my wallet is once again not happy! I listened to the iFi stack and was so impressed I have ordered a couple of these wonderful sounding bits of kit. Fairly soon the iDac and iTube should be winging there way to me.

May 1, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #155 of 196
Who can forget Oscar's rega planar and his huge cd player running through an anaconda? All sat on solid platforms of veneer.
My first purchase was a headphone stand. Oscar sells them from £14.99 which includes free delivery!
The meet highlighted once again the need to have one to properly show off your phone's , to minimise the risk of them falling off the tables and to have an easy quick and safe way for fellow headfiers to handle them.
Moreover they look much nicer at home. And where better to spend your money than with Oscar?

I also bought an OTG usb hdmi hub for my Note 2. I'm in unknown territory here, I believe (from Paul and Phil) this is the way I can connect my phone to a usb device for audio so my phone can be played through the O2 or Dacmagic Plus. Apparently it'll need rooting. Naimless, is that what you did to get your phone playing with the Oppo?

Hi there, you shouldn't need to route your phone to use a usb hub, you'll just need a powered hub. With your current Android version you should be good to go. You will need to pick up a software that bypasses the internal Android settings. In the Google Play store just look for Hiby Player, and or USB Audio Player Pro. USB Audio Player Pro is the more established one.

May 1, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #156 of 196
Hi there, you shouldn't need to route your phone to use a usb hub, you'll just need a powered hub. With your current Android version you should be good to go. You will need to pick up a software that bypasses the internal Android settings. In the Google Play store just look for Hiby Player, and or USB Audio Player Pro. USB Audio Player Pro is the more established one.

Hi Micah, thank you once again for your invaluable tech knowhow. I shall download USB Audio Player Pro and await my USB hub
Trev

May 1, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #158 of 196
Count me in, be interesting to match some of our gear, also like to hear ZX1 again in comparison to my iBasso and Fiios now I a! Used to them for a year. Naimless's tube amp very nice connected to the oppo, not sure John if you had a listen?

Once I am free later on next month I will contact Naimless and yourself about getting together for a jam session on headphones.  

Unfortunately I did not get to listen to the Oppo which was one of the pieces of kit I wanted to listen to at the meet but when I flew past that table a couple of times no one was at home and did not just want to start playing someone else's kit without seeing them first so I probably see Naimless in the room without realizing it!  

I did listen to the Oppo in January on their own stand at the Metropolis Studios show but was missing the correct usb connection one end to hook up my Sony Walkman to play music i'm familiar with and what I heard of it with the Flagship Oppo cans sounded nice through the Oppo BDP-105 playing cd's but really need my music with my cans/iems to get a true comparison really. 

So keep an eye out on your pm's later in the month Naimless & Andrew ; )

May 1, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #159 of 196
Hi Micah, thank you once again for your invaluable tech knowhow. I shall download USB Audio Player Pro and await my USB hub
Trev

I know not much. I think your O2 dac is already Android compatible. You should connect your micro USB and try it out. You might not even need the USB hub. 

May 2, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #160 of 196
I know not much. I think your O2 dac is already Android compatible. You should connect your micro USB and try it out. You might not even need the USB hub. 

I have a hub on the way which has all sorts of connections including hdmi. It was only £10 to go the whole hog. The AKG K1000s are going to be harder to get hold off and they vary wildly in price. I think it's reasonable to say they are not worth what people are trying to sell them for on ebay and headfi

May 2, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #161 of 196
Many thanks to Mark, Andy and Andys Family, another highly interesting day. However, my wallet is once again not happy! I listened to the iFi stack and was so impressed I have ordered a couple of these wonderful sounding bits of kit. Fairly soon the iDac and iTube should be winging there way to me.

Sorry about your wallet but glad you liked it, amazing gear for the price I think.

May 2, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #162 of 196
Which member was it that had the LG Watch R?

I got one today as I liked the look of it, and would love to know what watch face it was :)

Thanks.

May 2, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #163 of 196
Which member was it that had the LG Watch R?

I got one today as I liked the look of it, and would love to know what watch face it was :)

Thanks.

That was me Duncan. The face is called Ranger. Think it's costs a quid from the playstore. Best face imo. By the way don't get upset if the battery life seems bad, swapping watch faces totally wrecks the battery. Once you decide on a face and start using the watch normally you easily get a day.

May 2, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #164 of 196
That was me Duncan. The face is called Ranger. Think it's costs a quid from the playstore. Best face imo. By the way don't get upset if the battery life seems bad, swapping watch faces totally wrecks the battery. Once you decide on a face and start using the watch normally you easily get a day.
Awesome :)

Thanks, installed :)

Thanks for tip re battery life also, did get concerned at how quickly was dropping!! :)

May 3, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #165 of 196
Meet photo dump...

Cool T-shirt!

Event security.

Lovely vintage Luxman's.

Pondering setting up.

Disentanglement. 

Becoming busy.

Abandon station.

"He did what to your HE-6?!?"

Surveying the scene.

Stoop to view.