Cambridge meet impressions, 25 April 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #181 of 196

Hi FortisFlyer75 - excuse me  if I can't remember your real name (I'm bad with names) was it John? 

I'd be happy to bring out my setup again for you to listen to, as well as for guys who didn't get to listen before. I'm up for a small meet sometime, similar the the evening TravelLodge bedroom mini meet :) -  (everyones invited), as well as coming to more Head-fi UK meets as they come up. Don't think guys can bring big items to the London Canjam, its a shame. I'll be there anyways :)

I did get a chance to listen to the Hugo at the meet, I liked it a lot. I couldn't really gauge how good it was as I couldn't check it out on my set-up - Listened with the LCD-X and the LCD-3s I prefer the LCD-3s - but I felt it wasn't powered as much as I would have liked - I felt my Hifi-M8 powered the  LCD-3s better but the DAC wasn't as good.

I did check out the Hugo TT - this is the one I would have really liked to checkout on my system as it has balanced out and has a remote. One negative - I don't like the volume control on either Hugo. I did checkout the Hugo TT with Marks HE-560:) they sounded really good!!.  As it was the first time I heard the 560’s and with the Hugo TT - I couldn’t figure out all of the characteristics of each item, All I could do is compare them to my HE-6 setup. I listened to familiar tracks which I listen to regularly on my HE-6.

I was really impressed with the TT and 560. Not to sound bias, I would say that my setup was more transparent, holographic with more dynamics, fuller sounding with better controlled bass.  I think its my amping and power which has the advantage. As well as a well powered HE-6 which scales to the heights. The DAC section of the Hugo has the clear advantage. I would love to also checkout the 560 on other setups :) I heard it may do a couple things better then the HE-6, Its certainly easier to amp - which has big benefits if you want to travel around as well as how light it is! 

I did get hold of the MJ bad 25 album with the Nero remix of Speed Demon - It did get my HE-6 pumping and dancing with authority! :) sounds really good!

Your memory is better than mine with names, your spot on Dillan : )

Sorry for delayed response, been a mad busy week!...

Would not dream of you having to lug around your beast of an amp around again! I would come up your way maybe some day to have the pleasure of your pimped HE6 set up again, just let us know if you do get a mini meet going when time comes ; )

It's one thing listening to something but does not compare to having it in the mix with your own gear you already know very well although I am pretty sure the Hugo dac would compliment your current set up quite nicely indeed.  I don't think the Hugo is even going to compete current wise with your beasty amp on that side but add the dac with your amp and that would be a excellent combo.  

I now use the MJ Speed Demon Nero remix as one of my gear tester tracks for the P.R.A.T side this track provides as well as testing how it deals with the top end on this song as it is difficult to for some gear to nail this song in that section. 

Probably see you in August then and maybe chat about a future meet up one day, who knows if I win the Lotto between now and then you can listen to my Chord Dave!! 

May 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #182 of 196
Sorry for posting these late after all the post meet excitement has died down a bit but thought I would post these anyway, usually I would take a ton of shots with more thought put into composition but time was going so fast I just took some casual point & shot quick shots in auto as my head was spinning with all the gear that was there to listen to! 

Was still a great day to look back on, thanks again Andy & PedalHead for making it all happen in the first place...

May 17, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #183 of 196
Hi FortisFlyer75 - nice pics by the way. Yeah a mini meet would be cool whenever we are free. I'm cool with having a mini meet at mine one weekend, there's plenty of space for a few of us to come down and setup :) or if it was held somewhere else it would be cool also. We'll see if there's anything thing is happening before August if not we'll discuss at the next meet :)

May 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #184 of 196
I reckon you've already taken one for the team by hauling your gear to the Cambridge meet, mate.  I'm sure we can come to you next time 
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #185 of 196
Just received this photo of Fried Reim (CEO of Lake People) wearing a meet T-shirt. Fried sent over a maxed out V281 for demo at the event and I returned it with the garment as a thank you. He seems pretty pleased!
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #186 of 196
Posting this now as I've only just been informed that this article was online -

http://cambsdeaf.org/2015/07/01/big-thanks-to-uk-members-of-head-fi-who-donate-1300-to-cda/

- it's gratifying to know that the monies we raised are being put to excellent use.

Due to UK Head-Fi meet attendees raffle ticket purchases and manufacturers who kindly donated items to our charity raffles, we've now raised £2,500 for the CDA during the 2012 and 2015 events. Great work everyone. :D

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #188 of 196
Bit of a bump here but is anyone in the Cambridge area interested in getting together again anytime soon?
I'm in Buntingford down the A10 and I am definitely alone here. Would be great to have a beer with some fello headphone/hi-fi/home cinema audiophiles.
PM me and we can start a meet thread!

Nov 26, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #190 of 196
That's practically Scotland!! Lol

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #192 of 196
Have you not got any head-fi'ers closer to home?!

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #194 of 196
Now you tell me!! Lol

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #195 of 196
Andy, @smial1966, is in the Cambridge area, and I think a couple other head-fiers are. I'm in Southampton, and always keen to meet new people. I'm also interested in cables, so we should talk. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back