Cambridge meet impressions, 25 April 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #121 of 196
AndrewH13
Good to see your happy with your Hugo,I was surprised when I heard you'd bought one,I thought you'd order a pair of hd800's for sure after listening to mine at the meet.
Also when we talked I didn't realise you came from Southend that's only a few miles down the road from me.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #122 of 196
Hi.  Great to meet another Tera player owner.  Loved your Tralucent 1 plus 2  IEMs and loved your story about selling your Tera player, regretting it and rebuying another one within a week.

Ade

Evening Ade,

Great to get to know you, very pleasant speaking with you and your collegue (?) and the very nice Yuin earbuds you let me try, thank you for that.

Ehhhh, yes, about my story buying, selling and buying a Tera again.... :)
Hope this is a help for others when they think about selling theirs.
This little wonder really needs the right IEM and when paired to that there's peace of mind and endless music :)

Good that you could try the Tralucents, next time you put the REF1's in a shopping basket, go ahead and buy them, life's too short for not listening to music the best way for you!

Regards!
ThaPapper.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #123 of 196
Hello all

One off the wow moments for me was when I plug in a pair of HD 800 into the White Bird Virtus 01. Everything just seemed to open up, and admittedly I was playing some bassy tracks, but for me that bass was to die for
basshead.gif
. Think the HD 800 may of belonged to Naimless, thanks for that special momemt, but I may be wrong.

Also tried a pair off HD700 thanks to Criterion Audio, and was really impressed with these as well, they seem to open up the soundstage as well compare to the HD 650.

Thanks to all that loaned me phones to try out.

Also Andy told me story about the Virtus 01, that some one imported one into the country and when customs tried to x-ray it they had problems, so they took it apart, but couldn’t get it back together again.
confused.gif

Couple of people asked me about the Old Osram tubes and how old. Well they are KT66 valves from 1949, they may have been the oldest thing in the room lol. Want to get a spare set valves, and spoke to Andy, and he may know a man who can.
wink_face.gif

Cheers Frank

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #124 of 196
Holowlegs

One off the wow moments for me was when I plug in a pair of HD 800 into the White Bird Virtus 01. Everything just seemed to open up, and admittedly I was playing some bassy tracks, but for me that bass was to die for:basshead: . Think the HD 800 may of belonged to Naimless, thanks for that special momemt, but I may be wrong.

Yes they were mine and it was a pleasure.They sounded good on that granite amp.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #125 of 196
Hi Ade,
apologies for forgetting your name but very grateful to be able to hear yours. As I say , I thought the Tera was better but am happy with my DX100 and happy to stick with it - it's very good sound and wasn't significantly improved by the Chord Hugo I plugged into it and it has an awful lot of connections and a powerful amp.
Trev

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #126 of 196
 A lovely day, met many facinating people during the day and in the evening. Well done to Mark and Andy, a great job. I hope people enjoyed the Woos, I will bring other stuff next time :)

Things I missed were Oppo phones and HifiMan HD1000 (the new flagships). I would have loved to have tried these.

I really enjoyed the Balancing act 2A3 amp, the 009 Staxs. The Elise hot rod was a brilliant buy for the money. I think one is in my future :) The 560 I loved but I still prefer the HE6 if only something could drive it well as a headphone amp. The hot rod versions were very fine addition and I see a future here with me :grin:.

A couple of the high end phones left me wanting but I wish I had spent more time on Marks table especially with his old kit (quality)A ll in all, considering it is a days travel each way I had great fun, was introduced to great new kit but met many really great people which really is the point.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #127 of 196
AndrewH13
Good to see your happy with your Hugo,I was surprised when I heard you'd bought one,I thought you'd order a pair of hd800's for sure after listening to mine at the meet.
Also when we talked I didn't realise you came from Southend that's only a few miles down the road from me.

I'm not discounting the HD800! I discussed with Criterion and had another listen on my Fiio X5. Volume needed to be just off full on with the tracks I played, so amp was definitely needed alongside them. I then found the Hugo not only sounded good with them, but great with my ie800s. So it was probably a more sensible buy, greater discount, especially with HD800 price rise in last fortnight. But I may still work out something with Criterion, show discount voucher available!

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #128 of 196

Actually in Eastwood. You close by? could always bring Hugo round if you didnt get to hear with your 800s. I know I'd just unplugged when you were about to come over.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #129 of 196
Originally Posted by smial1966 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Guys,

Dillan is a lovely chap and dealt extremely well with a potentially inflammatory situation in a calm and dignified manner. We had a chat about what happened to his modified HE6 and he was clearly distraught, so I've agreed to obtain a new set of drivers for him or a new HE6 if spare drivers aren't available. Either way, I'll do right by him as event organiser as he shouldn't be penalised for the utter stupidity of another's actions.

Cheers,
Andy.  

Quote:
  Hi Dillan, just seen this post, almost forgot your username from the meet until this post, sorry your first bring and show ended abruptly, you took it well considering as you seem quite a placid guy, I would of blown a gasket if it was me although you probably did inside! 

Got to say thanks for the listen on your modded HE6, was a great set up that opened my eyes up.  The clarity separation, space, black back drop and life like vocals with that completely detached defined sub bass was awesome.  Suited many genres and never heard Miles Davies like that until then.
Sorry you did not get to hear my Hugo in the end but sounds like you listened to real Chord stuff at the other end of the room which would of pailed the Hugo into insignificance!

Anyway, hope it did not put you off for the future as that set up you had is a head (I mean ear) turner and maybe see you at Can Jam if your there in August?...

Been a busy few days for me so not got around to posting but was chuffed to see your post regarding Dillans HE6's.  I would of been up for having a whip round and putting a few quid in as I'm sure in this situation which is rare on this occasion was worthy of a helping hand in his hour of despair for someone who is relatively new to this not to mention the logistical task he undertook to lump that beast via public transport from Suffolk to get it there! 

Shattered when I went to bed at 11pm, I listened to Hugo until 1AM while reading a few threads!  It's pretty darn good isn't it? Making all my iems and headphones sound much better. Nice seeing you again John.

Like wise to see you sir and glad you enjoyed the Hugo enough to join the club!  Yes, for something so small it is resolving and musical in a analogue sense.  Just need to get a smaller coax so I can finally plumb it into my Tag Mclaren gear through the floorstanders!
So after hearing the other flagships was the HD800s still on your list for your headphones? 

Have to say I loved Dillans modded HE6's, changed my mind on Hi-Fi Man cans as my experience with their range in stock form was a bit underwhelming but also after listening to it through that beast of an amp of his was starting to shame some of the dedicated head amp manufacturers offerings. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #130 of 196
I'm not discounting the HD800! I discussed with Criterion and had another listen on my Fiio X5. Volume needed to be just off full on with the tracks I played, so amp was definitely needed alongside them. I then found the Hugo not only sounded good with them, but great with my ie800s. So it was probably a more sensible buy, greater discount, especially with HD800 price rise in last fortnight. But I may still work out something with Criterion, show discount voucher available!

I don't think you'd regret it

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #131 of 196
Ade,

It's a pity that you didn't listen to my Grado woodies as they have Magnum drivers (V4 I think) and sound very good. Photo below.

Cheers,
Andy.

I liked these a lot Andy, just a shame there was some faint music playing from somewhere on possibly another media player opened on the laptop but could not find you at the time. What model are these ones (discontinued)?, they were super light weight and comfy something I wish the PS1000's would be! 

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #132 of 196
 Just need to get a smaller coax so I can finally plumb it into my Tag Mclaren gear through the floorstanders!
So after hearing the other flagships was the HD800s still on your list for your headphones? 

Have to say I loved Dillans modded HE6's, changed my mind on Hi-Fi Man cans as my experience with their range in stock form was a bit underwhelming but also after listening to it through that beast of an amp of his was starting to shame some of the dedicated head amp manufacturers offerings. 

John, had the Hugo connected up to my Tag AV32 today in place of my Rega DAC. I want another HUGO now for lounge!

Only phone I preferred on the day to Hd800 was the GRADO 1000s that you also demoed. Too pricy for me and I do have Grado 325s which incidently also sound fantastic through Hugo. Didn't know 560s were about, they another can on my list to hear. Missed so much stuff. But after reading on the ie800 thread today that HIFIMans chief called the ie800 a scam, and sh!t, I have rather gone off the company. Very un-professional.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #133 of 196
AndrewH13

Another local!

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #134 of 196
Actually in Eastwood. You close by? could always bring Hugo round if you didnt get to hear with your 800s. I know I'd just unplugged when you were about to come over.

I'm in Billericay and thanks for the offer but I think my wallet would thank me if I didn't listen to the Hugo although I must admit I'm curious how it compares to my Oppo ha-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back