Cambridge meet impressions, 25 April 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #106 of 196
If you'd like a free bag of sweets just PM me as I've got plenty to spare! :)

P.S another thing I really liked was these sweets; thanks Andy.

I must make a couple of corrections,  to thank Mrs pedalhead for taking the pictures, and to say that negura's amp was of course an Eddie Current not a Woo .

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #107 of 196
First of all massive thanx goes to Andy and Mark for organizing the Meeting. 1300 GBP Is amazing specially if we take into account how relativity small was that Meeting.

Here are some of my photos:

My idea before the meet was: I will come and listen to HE-560 on 2-3 amps just to make sure it is exactly the headphones I want and then spent most of my time taking photos
Boy I was wrong ;] I took 30 photos in total and spent over 6h listening to various amazing rigs with a highlight of Me and Mark comparing his HE-560 and Raz's HE-6 on Raz's and Mark's amps, Hugo TT included (not enough juice for HE-6 though).

Now I know that I would be extremely happy with HE-560 but what I really want is properly amped HE-6 !!!! 

Anyone wants to sell one? or maybe somebody know where I can buy new ones at discounted price? 
Coming from STAX I was surprised that after listening to top of the range STAX rigs I still preferred (much cheaper)  HE-6 every time. Good for my and my wallet I think ;]]]]

Mark and Raz even though my Wife and my credit card will not like you very much in the near future - huge thank you for an opportunity to listen to your rigs and helping me make/change my mind. 

Frank - It was me with Beyerdynamic (old DT-990 PRO 250 Ohm) and I even managed to snap a photo of you with them ;]

Dillan - I am so sorry for what happened to you rig and even more so that I didn't have a chance to listen to it ;] I took a photo of the murder victim - people an at least can have a look what gorgeous looking HP you have and how massive was THE amp - I hope you will get them fixed in no time and I will have a chance to listen to your rig in near future ( sadly not at London meeting I will be on one of the festivals I was telling you about)

Last thing My initial impression of Lambert - Play It By Ear - Gorgeous little hybrid amp I was lucky to win at ruffle.
Rig as follows Foobar > NuForce Icon HDP > Lambert PIbE > DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm  Competed only to HPD for now.
Warmer fuller sound with less? (recessed highs) It also mellows 990 down a bit - I need to spend more time with this little fellow but it cannot be helped and my ears really miss HE-6 ;[[[ 

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #108 of 196
Hey Tomasz (did I get that right? 
wink.gif
 ).  Great pictures, thanks for sharing!  I really enjoyed our HE-560 / HE-6 experiments with the various rigs & cable swaps, probably the most fun of the meet for me.  I'm happy to report that I still have a soft spot for my punchy HE-560, but I can see how the ultra-detailed HE-6 could appeal to many people.  Inevitably, I de-grilled the HE-560 today (which does help a little in that area) and ordered some Focus-A pads 
biggrin.gif
.  Let me know if/when you finally get your HE-6.  Oh, but just to throw a spanner in the works, HiFiMAN have confirmed (apparently) that there'll be a new model in between the HE-560 and the HE-1000.  Sorry to confuse the situation! 

beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #109 of 196
TLDR: Several folks asked me for details. If you're after the best sound quality flagship for the money, get the HE-6s or the HD800s, but be aware of caveats: amplification and/or system matching.

Meet comments:
The HE-560 are great headphones. I did not hear them on my rig before and I did like them when heard on Saturday. Thanks for the opportunity all!
I was also impressed how far the HD600s, and to a slightly lesser extent the HD650s scale since I last heard them on my rig, which at that time was at a different level of performance. Aside from the low-end response, they are certainly impressive headphones in how far they can go for what they cost.

Intro:
Since I found through undisclosed channels the HE-6s are about to be retired, perhaps a bit late in the game, I finally decided to get myself a pair. That was several months ago, which was also sufficient time for me to mod them a little bit. At the time I still had a SR-009 rig, so it gave me the chance to compare these directly and at length.

It is not by accident I chose to bring the HE-6s and HD800s to the meet. As of lately the newly released flagship headphones prices only seem to go one way with each new release, and that is up. That's fine as new research and more advanced technology costs a lot. But the questions I always go back to, is what are the new releases actually offering in terms of sheer sound quality, compared to the existing offerings. Comfort to me comes a distant second, but the Abyss certainly don't win any prizes at that.

HE-6s and HD800s:
My personal conclusion, and one of the reasons I decided to bring those two particular headphones, is that out of all the flagships, I consider the (modded) HE-6s and HD800s, easily, offer the best sound quality for the price. That is one reason I left the LCD-3Fs at home. Not to mention the former two have been around a while now and can be purchased used for an even more ridiculous price/performance balance.

The caveats: Neither is easy to amp and/or match well, which is also a reason why there are so many of them on the used market.
Going a bit more in depth:

HE-6s:
- having done my research prior, these went straight away on a 55kg dual mono class A speaker amp (60 watts pure A, 160 watts AB in 8ohms). And blow after blow no solid state headphones amps, no matter how powerful, could match. The Audio GD HE-9 beast was perhaps the closest. Then the Moon 430HA and then some distance the Schiit Ragnarok. None of the latter three was quite as good as the speaker amp though, in control power, detail or transparency.
- there comes along a wee powered 6 watts Eddie Current, that I had purchased "obviously" not for the HE-6s. More as a joke I eventually connected the HE-6s to it. I was very surprised to say the least and since then my speaker amp gets significantly less use for headphones. Please don't ask me to explain how this is possible - I have no idea. Even more surprising I am actually using the Eddie Current for my full range speakers too - and no they are not efficient at 89dB.
- the latter is an exception and perhaps a bit of a "freak" experience. I would recommend a good solid state speaker amp for the HE-6s.
- I think the HE-6s are some if not the best genre master flagship headphones. There is not one genre the HE-6s cannot do exceptionally well. Can other headphones do one or another genre a bit better - sure. But I never feel the need to swap the HE-6s for any other headphones, just because I have changed my playlist.

HD800s:
- there seem to be two schools of thought with these. "Synergy" vs "strengthening the strengths". I see a lot of people matching some of the warmer gear around, so it offers the HD800s a match made in heaven and a very pleasant experience and perhaps matching better with a wider range of genres. The counter school of thought can go towards all the way the opposite: More clarity, more articulated transients, details, sound stage. An example at the high-end is using something like the Eddie Current 4x45, which is a valve known for clarity and detail, excellent sound stage and little but very tight bass response, with superb direct heated triode sound added to the technical prowess. I have not had the pleasure to hear the EC445, so this is through many discussions with owners and some extrapolation to my own 2A3MK4. Perhaps one day when one makes it to the UK.

- if one is in the first school of thought, and I did go that way a couple of times with these in the past, the HD800s can be magnificently pleasing and still very technical sounding. There will however be a few other headphones that will in my experience be (more than) a match in technical prowess AND offer an even more pleasing sound on a wider range of genres, in a different setup. Those include the HE-6s, SR-009s, SR-007s MKI, even some Audeze (modded).

- however if one ventures in the more exhilirating and completely crazy adventure of trying to get the last inch of performance out of the HD800s, a monster is unleashed. Nothing I have heard in headphones can match the combination of detail, clarity and transients attack of the modded HD800s on a clear and very transparent amp and a good source. The SR-009s are some of the closest and do very well at it, but cannot match it (that is on either the KGSSHV, KGST or BHSE). The HE-6s are close too, but still no. The Abyss and Audeze 3Fs - no not really. Others are not close to compete in my humble experience. The biggest downside is that it becomes a bit of a niche headphones, for the genres they excel at to begin with. Classical or acoustic music lovers will probably know what I mean.

In my opinion the finest tier of the headphones on the market right now are (in no particular order): Hifiman HE-6s,  Stax SR-009, Sennheiser HD800, Audeze LCD-3F, JPS Labs Abyss.

Gear used I am basing this on:
Amplifiers: Schiit Ragnarok, Audio GD HE-9, Moon 430HA, Eddie Current 2A3 MK4, speaker amp: Xindak A600E MK2 dual mono class A
DACs: Theta Gen V, Theta Gen V A, PS Audio PWD2
Cables: Audioquest SKY, Acrolink power cables, Toxic Cables 
Other: LAN streamer: SOTM SMS-100, IFI Gemini cables, linear regulated PSUs etc.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #110 of 196
Mark yes you get that right and there is no case of "if" I get HE-6's - just a case of when.
Glad you managed to get hold of Focus-A Pads - please report your findings.;]
I am just really happy that thanx to You, Raz and crazy rig and cable swapping I know exactly what I want.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #111 of 196

Mr.Headinclouds, 

I didn't realize that folks could build KG electronics, I'd thought some lad ( Jason ) built all of em, off a waiting list 5 years long, after a  25% deposit.  

One hears such wonderful things about these KG designs, leaving me wondering if it's because they are so rare and expensive to boot.  

I don't understand, I'dve thought a person would simply buy the Stax headphones plus the matching Stax Amp, done, end-game! 

What gives? 

The KG stuff in your snaps looks just like the versions I see at all the Headphone meets, is this some sort of KIT purchased from a supplier like the Bottlehead people offer?  

and 

If you are a STAX lover and admirer, which I suspect you are, how critical is your choice of DAC?
  Seems to me you'd need one hell-of-a-DAC if you have the most god-awfly-good resolving headphone system showing every nuanced detail. 

Can you reveal your price schedule? and availability? , bet you're building off a waiting list too.  

Thank you for writing back,

I hope that I'm not overwhelming you, you Brits can be a bit touchy, I'm told.

Tony in Michigan  ( Northern U.S.A.)
 Not one of those Southern, Knuckle Dragging, Budweiser Drinking, Country-Western, Pick-up Driving Wife Beaters!  
 I'm phosisticated and cultured   

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #112 of 196
Haha,  Yes I can be touchy, but don't worry I can tell you're phosisticated.

Taking your comments at face value - KG and Birgir give their circuits and advice to the DIY community.  Their designs must have given a huge boost to the ES market as they allow Stax etc. to show what they are capable of. 

I’ve seen that lad miscalled Justine but Jason is another one. 

My builds are my attempt to do justice to the KGSShv and KGST circuits.  I don’t know if you have seen any of them.  They are certainly very revealing and show the differences between sources.  A good DAC helps. 

I am only building two more KGST and will pm you details.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #114 of 196
  TLDR: Several folks asked me for details. If you're after the best sound quality flagship for the money, get the HE-6s or the HD800s, but be aware of caveats: amplification and/or system matching.

<snipped to save electrons>

Hey Raz, thanks for the excellent post...really good info, and thanks so much for bringing along an amp/dac combo that I'm sure many of us would rarely get the chance to hear & enjoy in our Head-Fi "careers". What are your thoughts on the obvious bass differences we heard between the HE-6 and HE-560?  We eliminated the Draug v2 cable so I wonder if there really is that much difference in that area between the two (this was my first listen to an HE-6 so I have nothing else to go on). Btw, removing the grilles on the HE-560 is immediately noticeable with pink noise so is clearly making a difference.

Finally, if the NDA allows and you have the inclination, do please let me know where you'll be posting HE-1000 impressions. If it maintains the overall tone of the HE-560 but extends at both ends and improves on the soundstage then I may have to sell one of my children...cheers!

Mark yes you get that right and there is no case of "if" I get HE-6's - just a case of when.
Glad you managed to get hold of Focus-A Pads - please report your findings.;]
I am just really happy that thanx to You, Raz and crazy rig and cable swapping I know exactly what I want.

Great stuff, best of luck with your search mate.  Sorry you can't make it to London, but I hope to see you at another meet sometime. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #115 of 196
Quote:

Andy, I did have a chance to listen to a Tera. I was able to plug my IE800s into it. I had a listen to several tracks. I believe the sound to be superior to my DX100. As a previous owner and having had many 100s of hours on the Colorfly C4 and the AK100 I know it beats them too. My ears are curious as I explained earlier; I profess to be no judge on what everyone is looking for in their sound. The Tera I can describe to you how I perceived it to sound different from my DX100- it had a smoother more refined presentation with a lovely sheen to the music. There was a sparkle to the music which was not a destroyer of MP3 tracks. Can the chap who I spent 15 minutes please step forward too? I am terrible with names I'm really sorry! But you are rightly proud of your DAP it is a keeper. And if that gentleman with those gorgeous modded Porta Pros does a pair for you you will be even happier.

Hi,

It was me you were talking to at the meet.  I have owned my Tera Player since October 2012 - still my most listened to audio device.  Yes the IE800 were wonderful with the Tera player.  The modded Portapros were wonderful with it too.  I am talking to damianryan about borrowing another set of headphones he has made with a Magnum driver.

Ade

I was there with a Tera FTU but I've met another very friendly Head Fier with an undamaged Tera as well.

Hi.  Great to meet another Tera player owner.  Loved your Tralucent 1 plus 2  IEMs and loved your story about selling your Tera player, regretting it and rebuying another one within a week.

Ade

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #116 of 196
Another BIG THANK YOU to the organizers for a terrific event!

I could kick myself for not checking out the Chord Hugo units that several members brought to the meet. I overheard some great raves about Hugo as the meet was wrapping up, but failed to have a listen or ask for advice.
Can anyone tell me whether I realistically need to upgrade my headphones/iems to hear the uplift if my music is sourced from an iphone 6? I'm using ATH-ESW9s and new RDA 10is at the moment. Just trying to understand how important the source device and format are, as well as whether I also need to budget for an upgrade to my cans?
Thanks for any feedback.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #117 of 196
Ade,

It's a pity that you didn't listen to my Grado woodies as they have Magnum drivers (V4 I think) and sound very good. Photo below.

Cheers,
Andy.

Hi,

It was me you were talking to at the meet.  I have owned my Tera Player since October 2012 - still my most listened to audio device.  Yes the IE800 were wonderful with the Tera player.  The modded Portapros were wonderful with it too.  I am talking to damianryan about borrowing another set of headphones he has made with a Magnum driver.

Ade

Hi.  Great to meet another Tera player owner.  Loved your Tralucent 1 plus 2  IEMs and loved your story about selling your Tera player, regretting it and rebuying another one within a week.

Ade

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #118 of 196

Hey Raz, thanks for the excellent post...really good info, and thanks so much for bringing along an amp/dac combo that I'm sure many of us would rarely get the chance to hear & enjoy in our Head-Fi "careers". What are your thoughts on the obvious bass differences we heard between the HE-6 and HE-560?  We eliminated the Draug v2 cable so I wonder if there really is that much difference in that area between the two (this was my first listen to an HE-6 so I have nothing else to go on). Btw, removing the grilles on the HE-560 is immediately noticeable with pink noise so is clearly making a difference.

Finally, if the NDA allows and you have the inclination, do please let me know where you'll be posting HE-1000 impressions. If it maintains the overall tone of the HE-560 but extends at both ends and improves on the soundstage then I may have to sell one of my children...cheers!

Great stuff, best of luck with your search mate.  Sorry you can't make it to London, but I hope to see you at another meet sometime. 

I thought the HE-560 sounds technically great and very musical and engaging at the same time. In terms of technicalities I think the HE-6s sounded a bit more revealing and the bass was tighter, with firmer transients attack. There seemed to be more bass quantity on the HE-560, even without the Norne cables, which to me on both the HD800s and HE-560 seemed to add some bottom end oomph, amongst other traits. Those are the things I did notice, and the obvious grain of salt due to meet conditions.

I think we are allowed to post impressions on how the HE1000s sound.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #119 of 196
Ade,

It's a pity that you didn't listen to my Grado woodies as they have Magnum drivers (V4 I think) and sound very good. Photo below.

Cheers,
Andy.

I would have loved to have tried them Andy. Thank you for organising the day and for all that helped you. I don't get on to the forums that often but I find that listening is always better than reading.

Ade

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #120 of 196
Another BIG THANK YOU to the organizers for a terrific event!

I could kick myself for not checking out the Chord Hugo units that several members brought to the meet. I overheard some great raves about Hugo as the meet was wrapping up, but failed to have a listen or ask for advice.
Can anyone tell me whether I realistically need to upgrade my headphones/iems to hear the uplift if my music is sourced from an iphone 6? I'm using ATH-ESW9s and new RDA 10is at the moment. Just trying to understand how important the source device and format are, as well as whether I also need to budget for an upgrade to my cans?
Thanks for any feedback.

I tried, I bought! Word on chord thread seems source transport has minimal effect. Some use AK240s, others iPhone. All I can say is £300 Fiio X5 sounding fantastic through it. And that's on £100 Musical Fidelity headphones to £800 Shure iems. Hooked up to my Sonos system today replacing Rega DAC and it gave a lovely boost even to that. Natural flowing music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back