Cambridge meet impressions, 25 April 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #91 of 196
  Congrats on winning the Dac/Amp! Was it your Alpha Dogs which were at the meet on a table next to a pair of HD800 and an OPPO desktop amp? If so, I was wondering what the bass tuning was then as I read online that they can be tuned. They sounded amazing even with my portable FiiO X5 + E12DIY combo and I was surprised how spacious and natural they sounded, especially for orchestral recordings!

Hi ClassicalViola, yep they were mine. I put out my DX100 and Alpha Dogs in case anyone was interested in having a listen. The Dogs are not altered in any way from their factory setting. The setting is therefore neutral. The Dogs I think are pretty accurate with a low end punch.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #92 of 196
BIG THANKS to Andy, Mark and all who also helped in this meet...there are obviously those who don't realise just what is involved in organising these types of event, but enough has been said on this subject so I would just like to add my voice to all the POSITIVE comments made here. This was my first meet and I thoroughly enjoyed it - great opportunity to see (if not hear! 
wink.gif
) some wonderful kit and - not to be undervalued - chance to come face to face with fellow enthusiasts we otherwise only ever get to know through remote communication...

Only managed to take a few photos alas, and apologies for any repetition!...

Just some of Nic Rhodes's gear! - his Woos...

That's Nic on the left, then tjw321, myself, Acapella11 and pal Alex...along with (nearly! 
wink_face.gif
) everyone else, great guys (I don't include myself, lol!!).

Keep the good comments coming, folks...

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #94 of 196
Hello all

Just a quick one, someone let me plug in a pair off there Beyerdynamic, but I can not remember who or what version they where. He had a Nikon SLR and I had a good chat with him about photography.  Next time I am bringing a note Book 
confused.gif

Cheers Frank

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #95 of 196
Shameless plug

To those who were interested in the gear I was selling but couldn't decide, they are still up for grabs.

Sony PFR-V1 £150
Sony SA5000 £180
STAX SR-404 with leather pads and STAX SRM-300 energiser £400

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #96 of 196
Thank you all for the great time especially Andy his family and Mark
My son, Jake, and I came very late but had enough time to discern the Hugo TT sounds better than our Hugo
That the Toxic cables do make a difference to our LCD3Fs:  now need to work out how to fund them as an upgrade.
That the Abyss is very comfortable to wear, 
We both enjoyed the RHA Audio and Jake is considering a pair!
Sadly we did not win anything in the raffle...maybe next time
So we had a great time if a bit short but that was our problem
Cheers
Steve

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #97 of 196
This years meet raised £1,300 for the Cambridgeshire Deaf Association, so many thanks and well done to everyone for a stupendous effort.
beerchug.gif

It will be lovely phoning them tomorrow and saying "Hello, you don't know me but my friends and I held an audio event in Cambridge on Saturday and we raised £1,300 for you via a raffle".
L3000.gif

Cheers,
Andy.

That's great. It's a worthy cause indeed. I'm only too aware that my days of music listening are numbered, although I currently do better with music than with conversation. Still hoping for a few more years though, so no sobbing quite yet :)

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #101 of 196

Hello from the States,

I just had a look at the snaps of your meet, impressive! 

You lads certainly have plenty of good equipment and a generous turn-out.  

I had no idea of England being so strong in the headphone world.

I sort-of felt our Brit cousins were all huddled around a "old" LP12 Turntable listening to LS3/5a's with some little Sugden Integretated 20Wpc, guess I was way-wrong.  A full Boat Chord System might be closer to reality.  

Well, I think you lads can show us "Isolationists" a thing or two.  Still, you didn't have one single Schiit Amp, not one.  Buuuuuut, you did have a Theta DAC, which is sayin sumpen'. 

Congradulations on a very nice Cambridge Meet, obviously this isn't you're first time at doing this sort of thing, you even have girls and food service ( I don't think we have that feature, yet ) 

Still, I'm told, HeadFi is gonna do a big meet in London, our big Guns are all talking about flying over to give you a "proper lesson" on all things headphone.  I don't think they realize what they're gonna run into.

Nice to see all "ya-all" as we like to say.  

Tony in Michigan

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #102 of 196

Hello from the States,

I just had a look at the snaps of your meet, impressive! 

You lads certainly have plenty of good equipment and a generous turn-out.  

I had no idea of England being so strong in the headphone world.

I sort-of felt our Brit cousins were all huddled around a "old" LP12 Turntable listening to LS3/5a's with some little Sugden Integretated 20Wpc, guess I was way-wrong.  A full Boat Chord System might be closer to reality.  

Well, I think you lads can show us "Isolationists" a thing or two.  Still, you didn't have one single Schiit Amp, not one.  Buuuuuut, you did have a Theta DAC, which is sayin sumpen'. 

Congradulations on a very nice Cambridge Meet, obviously this isn't you're first time at doing this sort of thing, you even have girls and food service ( I don't think we have that feature, yet ) 

Still, I'm told, HeadFi is gonna do a big meet in London, our big Guns are all talking about flying over to give you a "proper lesson" on all things headphone.  I don't think they realize what they're gonna run into.

Nice to see all "ya-all" as we like to say.  

Tony in Michigan

Thanks Tony, that was an entertaining read.  Us Brits aren't too backwards these days, we have mains electrickery, the Internet and everything 
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #103 of 196
Ha Tonykaz,
Nice to see a message from the US side and so funny too!  Our meets do have a nice friendly vibe and it would be unthinkable not to serve tea.

A lot of pictures were taken of the Chord rack; the striking looks no doubt being a factor.
It does actually sound absolutely high end and for me it has similar sound quality to the top speaker systems at shows. I have had the pleasure of listening to it at home for several weeks while building bonesy jonesy’s KGST, and CD replay has never been so good. The Chord BLU CD player also brings out the best of my Arcam D33 with the KGST/-009 pairing.  It showed me that the KGST certainly does not hold back this exalted front end and SR-009.

Back to your point about the Brits, I have wondered where are the British buyers for the KG designed amps I have built.  At the meet there were both of the KGSTs I know of in this country; all my others have gone abroad. (If anyone knows of other builds of KGSShv or KGST in the UK it would be fun to know). 

Other things I liked at the meet were negura's HE-6 with the Woo amp and Ra97oR AT W3000aniv which were very beguiling.

While I’m on –great to learn of the raffle proceeds -what a gift for the Cambridge D A.

And thanks so much to hypnos1, dill3000, ninjapirate and pedalhead for those great pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back