Cambridge Audio 840c
Sep 21, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #62 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why they bother to put a break in period of 36 hours on the box, you would think they know that 200+ hours is more like it.

Phill

I guess it's just to get people off the ground.
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #64 of 112
Does anyone know if the burn-in period affects the 840 used via digital inputs or is it just when spinning CDs?

I've had an 840 for about a week. I must have about 70 hours on it but haven't noticed a significant improvement with cds. Haven't tried the digital inputs yet.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #66 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general, what kind of differences are owners noticing before burn-in vs. after? 200 hours or whatever it is?...

Well I think I have around 120 or so hours on mine. The main difference is when new it’s very etched and forward with great detail. Very overwhelming and fatiguing over a long listening session (I really struggled through this over the first weeks)
angry_face.gif
. Now after a month it’s very relaxed, smooth and the soundstage has opened up. The best thing is that the detail that was so intense to listen originally is still there but so enjoyable now. If it doesn’t get better from here I’m really happy but I’ve still got 80 hrs to go.
dt880smile.png

Sep 28, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #68 of 112
This is a great thread! I bought the 840c to replace a DA10 because I really wanted a remote and a good transport. I was extremely surprised at how much better it sounded using the exact same source, both with balanced out. I had the DA10 on Audiogon within 10 hours of break in!

I never really believed that jitter could have such a huge effect, but playing FLAC through SB3 through the Azur 840c does not sound nearly as good as playing the original CD in the internal CD player. I'm sure a great source would sound as good.....

As far as burn in goes, it seems less fatiguing over time. I'm sure that I have a few hundred hours at this point. I have not felt any change in sound stage over time.....

I think that the 840c is the best valued DAC in this expensive hobby. I liked the DA10, but I know that when the female in my life enjoys the difference I have not made a mistake. She is starting to complain about not being able to enjoy music anywhere else
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #69 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.: Audiocom International :. Modifications : Cambridge Audio AZUR 840C

This company will upgrade the player, anyone else thought about this. Does this turn the 840c into a true giant killer?

It already is a giant killer!
wink.gif

I'd be truly wary of these sorts of upgrades. Cross-grades is probably a better term as they are only replacing existing components. They don't seem to provide much information on any sorts of jitter or sound improvements
confused.gif

It's also not cheap, an expenditure like that takes the 840c's total cost into an area that - for me - diminishes it's overall value...

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #70 of 112
Trying to resell a piece of modified audio equipment is a mixed bag, you will never recoup the cost of the modification and it also makes it harder to sell, period. Just buy a better player, at least you have a better chance of recouping a larger slice of your money when reselling. A few reversible upgrades like opamps or coupling cap replacements are one thing but a complete reworking of a component is a crap shoot, what do you do if you don't like it after the mods.

Phill

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #71 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you do if you don't like it after the mods.

Phill

Convince yourself it was the best money spent since the power cord addition.

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #72 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.: Audiocom International :. Modifications : Cambridge Audio AZUR 840C

This company will upgrade the player, anyone else thought about this. Does this turn the 840c into a true giant killer?

There is no way in hell these cowboys are going anywhere near my 840C unless there taking it from my cold dead fingers
mad.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #73 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no way in hell these cowboys are going anywhere near my 840C unless there taking it from my cold dead fingers
mad.gif

I'm pretty wary of a lot of these mod outlets, what they offer, what they actually do, and what they cost. It's also important to note that doing these mods immediately voids manufacterer's warranty.

There are reputable mod outlets but if one wishes to go down that road, PLEASE research carefully and thoroughly!

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #75 of 112
There could be something to the mods actually. There are a few companies who started out by modding other company's equipment, for example Empirical Audio started out by modding benchmark DACs and M-audio Transits and the like.

The reason why the manufacturers don't do these things themselves is because it would drive up the price of their product dramatically, so if they are trying to release a product within a certain price point they have to make compromises or cut a few corners. These mod companies see the potential in a product's design so offer to mod them, it also saves them the trouble and costs of having to R&D their own products. The trick is to find a good company to do it for you. There are a few modding companies that are listed on Audiogon, so I'd probably trust those a bit more since they do get reviews by people who got their stuff modded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back