Cambridge Audio 840c
Sep 30, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #77 of 112
I'm back in hunt for a 840C because the deal on another cd player didn't go through.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #80 of 112
I really like the 840 but there is one thing that bugs me,,,,,,,,,,,

Putting the AC recepticle on the right side of unit, most audio gear is on left side or center. For stand alone headphone use no big deal but when you have a rack of high end gear and oversize AC cords it become a hassle with cable routing and length. Same beef but to a lesser extent with interconnect routing again being on reverse side of box as normal.

I suppose it has to do with circuit layout but would have been nice to consider that from the very begining of design to be easier to use with other brands of audio gear

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #81 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the 840 but there is one thing that bugs me,,,,,,,,,,,

Putting the AC recepticle on the right side of unit, most audio gear is on left side or center. For stand alone headphone use no big deal but when you have a rack of high end gear and oversize AC cords it become a hassle with cable routing and length. Same beef but to a lesser extent with interconnect routing again being on reverse side of box as normal.

I suppose it has to do with circuit layout but would have been nice to consider that from the very begining of design to be easier to use with other brands of audio gear

I never thought this was consisent between manufacturers and does seem to vary with a lot exotic audio gear. Well I hope it makes up for it in sound...

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #82 of 112
I was talking to a AudioAdvisor rep yesterday about why a 840c is better sounding than cheaper models in the 500 dollar range, and he mentioned CA is going to pump the price of 840 to 1590ish from 1390ish...

Don't know how much truth there is to it but for those of you holding your guns waiting for a price drop just a heads up.

I jumped mine and oh my wallet so hates me now.

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #83 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by wudai_e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was talking to a AudioAdvisor rep yesterday about why a 840c is better sounding than cheaper models in the 500 dollar range, and he mentioned CA is going to pump the price of 840 to 1590ish from 1390ish...

Don't know how much truth there is to it but for those of you holding your guns waiting for a price drop just a heads up.

I jumped mine and oh my wallet so hates me now.

I'm glad I jumped because I absolutely love this thing. Worth every penny.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #85 of 112
I just read a Dagogo article by Doug Schroeder in which he seems to say that, set to passthrough, the 840C will output an unprocessed 16/44 analog signal (unless I really have got it wrong). That you can interconnect the balanced analog to balanced integrated/preamp inputs, or unbalanced to unbalanced (but that balanced is "marginally" better).

Anyone tried this? (he raves about the 840C as a transport).

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #86 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read a Dagogo article by Doug Schroeder in which he seems to say that, set to passthrough, the 840C will output an unprocessed 16/44 analog signal (unless I really have got it wrong). That you can interconnect the balanced analog to balanced integrated/preamp inputs, or unbalanced to unbalanced (but that balanced is "marginally" better).

Anyone tried this? (he raves about the 840C as a transport).

That review as I can remember is a totally pile of bulls**t
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Do yourself a favour, and disregard it. The guy was obviously hitting the weed way way to hard.

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #87 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That review as I can remember is a totally pile of bulls**t
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Do yourself a favour, and disregard it. The guy was obviously hitting the weed way way to hard.

Have you tried it?

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #88 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried it?

The guy goes on to mention that bypassing half the components (an Anagram dsp mind you) yields the best results, a dac-less cd payer? Come on
tongue.gif

By the way congrats on your new player
wink.gif
you will not be disappointed. Be patient at first, the sound can be overwhelming, with hyper detail and upfront vocals. It takes a good deal of burn in, and changes day to day early on. I’ve read a few impressions regarding the 840c as an over-etched and unemotional player, bet you these were new players. I myself made assumptions way to early.

Passthrough made no audible difference... at least to my ears. But hey I’m not one of the “purists”
darthsmile.gif

Edit: I see you were about to buy... so congrats withheld until official. Nice christmas pressie...

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #89 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The guy goes on to mention that bypassing half the components (an Anagram dsp mind you) yields the best results, a dac-less cd payer? Come on
tongue.gif

I will check out the review of the review
regular_smile .gif
Schroeder's review is a bit hard to get a grip on. He seemed enamored of his dac collection and almost grudgingly added that even without an external dac, the 840C was pretty good.
regular_smile .gif
Well Im not really interested in acquiring a transport per se, but the "best cd replay under 5K" (expecially when it costs under 2k) is another story.

However, one part of the review continues to intrigue me: that if you select passthrough, the unprocessed cd play is available from the analog outs and (he seems to say) that it is something to write home about. Well at best it is a ymmv matter. Is that what you were commenting on when you say "passthrough made no audible difference'?

Thanks for your input.

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #90 of 112
Passthrough is raw digital for use with an external dac, only available through the "digital output” (optical/Co-axial).
CD playback and internal DAC can utilise this function, but makes absolutely no difference when using the audio and or balanced outputs from the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back