Cambridge Audio 840c
May 5, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #106 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I went to HiFi Trader at Newtown. Terrible to get to though - once I turned into the Princes Highway I wished I could have packed the car into a suitcase and walked the last 5 kilometres!

What I am hoping I can do at some stage is organise a side-by-side audition of the 840C, DACMagic, 740C and the new NAD C565BEE.

Though I just can't help thinking that Cambrdige might bring out a better DAc in the next 12 months that is as good as the 840C (I can only hope - I don't need a CD transport these days).

I was in audiophile nirvana listening to that 840C, but the price (even heavily discounted) is just too high for me. I reckon if you just had the DAC section a unit like that might sell for literally half the price.

I recommend trying Eastwood Hi Fi, they sold me a unit for $1399. Ex demo from a scratched and dented sale. They get stock frequently, the units are basically new, mine had the slightest nick on the front panel, I wouldn’t have even noticed if it hadn’t been pointed out.

Specials

Best thing is to phone and ask.

On the DAC front there is some exciting news regarding the Sabre32 DAC chip that’s was released in January 2009. The chip is receiving a lot of attention in the DIY community, I don’t think there is any commercial units available yet.

I will be building one of these as soon as kits are available from twisted pair audio. I predict that this dac would be even more resolving than the 840c, from the hype I’ve been reading. Also the cost would be significantly cheaper than the 840c.

May 5, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #107 of 112
That is an OK price for scratch and dent, but on principle I have trouble buying a CD player when I don't need the actual CD player part of it!
ksc75smile.gif

May 5, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #108 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most complaints from what I’ve heard and read stem from the long burn in period. Returning the unit long before burn in is complete.
I gritted my teeth for the first 4 weeks, I’m so glad I held on to mine.

I was able to find one lightly used on Audiogon for under $900. Skip the burn in and the greater cost.

Although I have only had it for a few weeks, I must say I am quite impressed, although I don't think I would buy one new.

May 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #109 of 112
how well do you think the digital inputs compare to straight cd playback?...

have you tried feeding it any 24/96?...

thanks...

May 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #110 of 112
I have the 840C and did a comparison w/ the Esoteric DV60 using Wilson Alexandras (not mine) and also w/ my Grados.

To me the DV60 would not be worth the extra $ for the small amount of improved performance. the DV60 had a slighlty less edgy or digital sound to me.

In another league is the Ayon CD-1 (SE tube output). I picked up one for less than 1/2 retail . A real find and I've not heard a CDP that I would rather have than the CD-1. it makes me wonder what the 840C would sound like w/ a tube output??

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #111 of 112
Any brothers who have 840C here, can recommend me a XLR cable?
I am thinking of Oyaide across 900 XX.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #112 of 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the 840C and did a comparison w/ the Esoteric DV60 using Wilson Alexandras (not mine) and also w/ my Grados.

To me the DV60 would not be worth the extra $ for the small amount of improved performance. the DV60 had a slighlty less edgy or digital sound to me.

In another league is the Ayon CD-1 (SE tube output). I picked up one for less than 1/2 retail . A real find and I've not heard a CDP that I would rather have than the CD-1. it makes me wonder what the 840C would sound like w/ a tube output??

....or a tube amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back