Cambridge 740c -vs- Cambridge 840c, sonically?
Sep 15, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #31 of 220
Is the Cambridge 840c the unit with two DACS? if so i found it to be very "cold" sounding, but it is supremely clear and very detailed especially in the mids and highs, mind you i tested them on elac speakers known to be overly bright to some, i tested roksans' kandy series, creeks, arcam, cyrus and Quads etc... cd players on the same speakers, the Roksans and Cambridge came out as my final two choices, in the end the Roksans more suited to the kind of music i listen to, but if classical and orchestra is your thing, i still haven't heard anything better than Cambridge 840c in the price range even though i spent almost 2 months auditioning different CD players, but u better have some good recordings, the Cambridge 840c is brutal that way lol

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #32 of 220
I will be comparing both the 740c and 840c early next week. Also, I love the idea of either model serving double duty as a DAC for my Macbook. They didn't have the 740c in stock at deciBel here in Chicago today but I did listen to the 840c and was also quite impressed. I'm new to the whole Hi-Fi world and can't say I've developed much of a taste just yet but I certainly can hear the differences varied components, ICs and configurations can make. I will be using the player I end up picking with a Cambridge Audio 640R. Pics soon to come.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #33 of 220
Following these comparisons of each and every poster, and especially noting the associated gear and specific music/recording played, both of which when given specifically gives a much better written/read understanding of the sonic attributes of the reviewed CDPs... Thanks all for these contributions to the knowledge base and to my personal understanding as best as can be deduced with the supplied details, especially with regards to associated gears and music/recordings when arriving at the conclusions of the comparisons offered!

Much appreciated here!

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #34 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi greggf,
Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what the Arcam house sound is like.
I really do not have anything else to share at this point. The player seems to be built really well and solid, and so far it has worked flawlessly with all CD's and CD-R's that I have tried with it. The remote is also nice and built really solid as well.
I don't really like the display on the unit at all. The Marantz display is much nicer, IMHO. The unit also runs quite warm, but is well ventilated.
Seems to sound better with copper interconnects than silver ones.
The crappy supplied interconnects sound quite nice, believe it or not.
The Rega and Marantz sound their best with silver interconnects, IMHO.
Again, I will report back after the player has burned in for a couple of weeks.

daltonlanny,

I wanted to bump this and see if you have formed any more opinions on the 840c. Seems to be a value for the offering.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #35 of 220
Out of all the CD players that I have owned, the 840c is the keeper!
It has almost two weeks of burn-in, and using the new Grover SC [AWESOME interconnects by the way!], or the Signal Cable Silver interconnects, Signal Cable Digital Reference Power Cord, HeadAmp GS-1 amp, and Sennheiser HD650's with Equinox the sound is simply breathtaking!
The sheer smoothness, resolution, detail, and dynamics are awesome. Bass is outstanding, and highs are very extended and detailed. It does not exhibit any brightness, harshness, forwardness, glare, or stridency at all in my system. It is very involving, and I can listen to it for hours without growing tired of it or fatigued by its sound.
It is a joy to listen to my CD's and "rediscover" them.
Overall, this is the best CD player I have tried in my system.
It has improved dramatically with burn-in, unbelievably so.
Do not judge this player until it has at least 200 hours of burn-in on it.
As a testament of its greatness, I have sold both the Rega Saturn and the Marantz SA8001.
It sounds more alive and open than the Saturn, and is every bit as detailed, sweet, and dynamic, IMHO. The Saturn is warmer and a tad more laid back. Vocals sound clearer on the 840c.
The Marantz sounds edgier, more forward, and looser in the bass than the 840c. The 840c is more organic, smoother, and more involving than the Marantz.
I still have not tried it balanced. If it sounds any better balanced, I cannot imagine it!
Overall I am more than pleased with the 840c!
Others out there, with other system components and tastes, may disagree, however.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #36 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of all the CD players that I have owned, the 840c is the keeper!
It has almost two weeks of burn-in, and using the new Grover SC [AWESOME interconnects by the way!], or the Signal Cable Silver interconnects, Signal Cable Digital Reference Power Cord, HeadAmp GS-1 amp, and Sennheiser HD650's with Equinox the sound is simply breathtaking!
The sheer smoothness, resolution, detail, and dynamics are awesome. Bass is outstanding, and highs are very extended and detailed. It does not exhibit any brightness, harshness, forwardness, glare, or stridency at all in my system. It is very involving, and I can listen to it for hours without growing tired of it or fatigued by its sound.
It is a joy to listen to my CD's and "rediscover" them.
Overall, this is the best CD player I have tried in my system.
It has improved dramatically with burn-in, unbelievably so.
Do not judge this player until it has at least 200 hours of burn-in on it.
As a testament of its greatness, I have sold both the Rega Saturn and the Marantz SA8001.
It sounds more alive and open than the Saturn, and is every bit as detailed, sweet, and dynamic, IMHO. The Saturn is warmer and a tad more laid back. Vocals sound clearer on the 840c.
The Marantz sounds edgier, more forward, and looser in the bass than the 840c. The 840c is more organic, smoother, and more involving than the Marantz.
I still have not tried it balanced. If it sounds any better balanced, I cannot imagine it!
Overall I am more than pleased with the 840c!
Others out there, with other system components and tastes, may disagree, however.

that's great I am happy you found right player for your rig. once again CDP is only good if its compatible with the rest of the system.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #39 of 220
I am happy for myself, too!
Thanks guys, and thanks for all of your help, advice, and opinions!
And a great BIG thank you for not flaming me.
Have a good one and happy listening!

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #40 of 220
After such a rave reviews, I had to order one
wink.gif
I will compare with my VDA2/VAC DAC combo and see which is better. The looser will end up on FS forum or be returned.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #41 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After such a rave reviews, I had to order one
wink.gif
I will compare with my VDA2/VAC DAC combo and see which is better. The looser will end up on FS forum or be returned.

I'll look forward to your comparison. I'm interested in how this player functions as a DAC with the digital input as well as a stand alone cd player.

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #42 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll look forward to your comparison. I'm interested in how this player functions as a DAC with the digital input as well as a stand alone cd player.

X2

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #43 of 220
By all accounts and reviews of 840C, it's detailed as VDA2...so I am hoping that's true. In that case, my VDA2 will find a good home
wink.gif
I will let you guys know on the initial non-burned state and after 200+ hours on it.

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #44 of 220
daltonlanny,

Going balanced, with the new Cambridge?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #45 of 220
My parents just bought me a 740c back in Hong Kong and my mom is personally delivering it to me par avion. I should have it by Sunday night! Who's excited? I am!! I think it was the Stereophile Class B recommendation that won me over...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back