Cambridge 740c -vs- Cambridge 840c, sonically?
Sep 27, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #46 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
daltonlanny,

Going balanced, with the new Cambridge?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, going balanced a little at a time!
I am buying a used HeadAmp GS-X, a used pair of Signal Cable Silver Resolution balanced XLR interconnects, and I am now trying to decide which balanced Sennheiser headphone cable to go with.
Any suggestions anyone?

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #47 of 220
I was able to do my comparison on Tuesday of this week and I ended up coming home with the 740c. Both players were fantastic in my opinion. I also brought along my Macbook so I could try both of their DACs with my laptop as the source. Listened to some FLAC files and a couple of ALAC files. I ultimately made my decision based on what I perceived to be a slightly warmer sound from the 740c and I don't currently have a need for the balanced outputs. Plus I can always upgrade and I'm sure I will now that I have fully embraced this hobby (my wallet no likey)
frown.gif
. My system so far consists of Pro-Ject RM5 (Bellari VP129 Phono stage), 740c, Sony SCD CE595, Macbook (ALAC & FLAC) as my sources all feeding a Cambridge Audio 640R. The headphone out isn't so hot on the 640R powering my HD650s but it does fine with my Grado SR60s. I also use the Bellari headphone out which is pretty decent. Looks like the addiction continues and I'll be looking for a nice home headphone amp.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #48 of 220
Was the 840c a clear step above the 740c? I think that is what we all want to know. Is it something one would be able to hear without having to listen critically? I have had experiences before with different sources from the same manufacturer where the differences were small enough that I honestly wouldn't be able to tell without an intense listening session, eg Naim CDX2 vs CD5i; Esoteric X-01 Limited vs X-03SE. My psychoacoustic memory is simply not good enough
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #49 of 220
I personally didn't think so. It would have been about $300 more to step up to the 840c for me and I was pretty satisfied with the 740c and actually ever so slightly preferred what my ears heard as a warmer sounding player which I'm sure has to do with the Wolfson dacs vs the Analog Devices dacs. I think if I had a tube amplifier I would have went with the 840c. I'm also assuming the sound will change slightly the more I use it. After using the 740c for the past couple of days I have to say I'm very happy with my purchase.

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #50 of 220
That's music to my ears. It looks like I made the right decision then. The 840c is $400 more than the 740c in Hong Kong and $500 more expensive in the United Kingdom.
rolleyes.gif
Only one more day to wait...

Have you by any chance compared CD to the digital input, say, from a computer? I'll be running lossless and max-bitrate lossy from an optical source. I wonder how the rip would compare to the actual CD.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #51 of 220
From my computer using MP3's 192 and above the sound is really good. Directly from the CD player though is much better. I suspect with a lossless format you'll be very satisfied using the 740c as a DAC.

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #52 of 220
I agree completely. All audio from my Macbook definitely sounds better than it ever has but CDs really stand out. Mingus Blues & Roots, Depeche Mode Violator and The Budos Band II have been in heavy rotation. Awesome stuff. Money well spent. The wife even commented on how good the system sounded earlier this evening and not to sound corny but it melted my heart.....
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #53 of 220
I am looking at either the 740c or 840c as well and I did an A/B test today. In my opinion there is a clear difference in the 840c, I was listening to some media that I wasn't too familiar with and on the 740c I heard something In the background I couldn't make out what I was sounded sort of like talking but I wasn't sure. When I listened on the 840c I distinctly heard talking and laughing in the background I had to turn around to make sure someone didn't sneak into the room when I was auditioning. I listened to the CD players through a cambridge 840a amp and my ATH-W5000s. I still have to decide if the price difference is justified before I make my decision.

Sep 30, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #54 of 220
Yay, my 740c has arrived! I've yet to have a serious listen though... It's too early even for first impressions!

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #55 of 220
Yay! Can't wait to hear about it. These Cambridges sound very interesting to me.

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #56 of 220
Right here are my 1st impressions. I donned my precious headphones and began listening to Accardo's recording of Paganini's 6th Violin Concerto (320kbps AAC upconverted to 24bit/384kHz) and I immediately heard a tremendously articulate, detailed sound, not unlike the almost 10 times more expensive X-03SE. I completely agree with others' reviews. This CDP has superb clarity and the highs extend well. The overall sound reminds me of a hospital's sparkling clean biochemical lab. There is a slight perceivable amount of intimacy (warmth?) in the midrange but it isn't overly smooth, ie no midrange bloom. Imaging is superb and timbre is absolutely spot on. If I was to complain about one thing, it would be the almost overly analytical sound. Certain notes sound hyper detailed and slightly dry/thin. I tend to agree with the reviewer who said that this CDP player would match well with a system that was on the warm side. As a result, it is my honest opinion that the 740c would be a better for the Stax SR-007 than my Sennheiser HE60.

These are very premature impressions from just listening to one familiar track. Accardo's violin sounds so perfectly rendered... I'm in awe
biggrin.gif
Oh, and did I mention I haven't even tried playing a CD or fed it lossless tracks. Better do that before I make any more silly comments
wink.gif
One thing is for sure: it is a very good sounding player with a sound signature that is noticeably different from any other source I've tried with this rig (eg Esoteric X-03SE, M-Audio Audiophile USB, 5.5G iPod, etc)!

One more thing: My computer has never sounded this good. I'm literally rediscovering my music collection. What I'd like to find out at the UK meet is how it compares to one of the more established standalone DACs like the DAC1, DA100, etc...

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #57 of 220
Great impression
wink.gif
My 840c that ordered week ago is back ordered
frown.gif
Most online stores carry the black model but I wanted in silver. It should be here in about 3 weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right here are my 1st impressions. I donned my precious headphones and began listening to Accardo's recording of Paganini's 6th Violin Concerto (320kbps AAC upconverted to 24bit/384kHz) and I immediately heard a tremendously articulate, detailed sound, not unlike the almost 10 times more expensive X-03SE. I completely agree with others' reviews. This CDP has superb clarity and the highs extend well. The overall sound reminds me of a hospital's sparkling clean biochemical lab. There is a slight perceivable amount of intimacy (warmth?) in the midrange but it isn't overly smooth, ie no midrange bloom. Imaging is superb and timbre is absolutely spot on. If I was to complain about one thing, it would be the almost overly analytical sound. Certain notes sound hyper detailed and slightly dry/thin. I tend to agree with the reviewer who said that this CDP player would match well with a system that was on the warm side. As a result, it is my honest opinion that the 740c would be a better for the Stax SR-007 than my Sennheiser HE60.

These are very premature impressions from just listening to one familiar track. Accardo's violin sounds so perfectly rendered... I'm in awe
biggrin.gif
Oh, and did I mention I haven't even tried playing a CD or fed it lossless tracks. Better do that before I make any more silly comments
wink.gif
One thing is for sure: it is a very good sounding player with a sound signature that is noticeably different from any other source I've tried with this rig (eg Esoteric X-03SE, M-Audio Audiophile USB, 5.5G iPod, etc)!

One more thing: My computer has never sounded this good. I'm literally rediscovering my music collection. What I'd like to find out at the UK meet is how it compares to one of the more established standalone DACs like the DAC1, DA100, etc...

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #59 of 220
I had my 840C since last Friday. I really had a difficulty finding a silver model. I searched and searched and finally found it in Arizona HiFi store. It was the last one too.

I been playing it nonstop comparing it against my beloved VDA2/VAC combo for several days. Right out of the box, the sound of 840C was more extended and sweeter than VDA2/VAC. The bass and mid bass is similar to Lavry10 and upper mid to treble energy was sweet as VDA2/VAC. Most of all...the micro detail is just amazing. I am not an analytical listener. I just know what I like..and I like the sound of 840C by good margin.

Right now, I am using it more as an external DAC with my Mac Book as source. Having it also as good source/transport is another great benefit. This is one of the smartest purchase I ever made.

I will be putting my VDA2/VAC on sale pretty soon
wink.gif

7e4e2504on6.jpg

7e4e2500wo5.jpg

7e4e2501ij2.jpg

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #60 of 220
SK I see you still have an X-Can V2!
biggrin.gif
I do not think I could sell mine it is such an involving amp, gets my foot tapping all the time. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the Green Solo and how it compares or not w/ your other amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back