Cambridge 740c -vs- Cambridge 840c, sonically?
Oct 10, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #61 of 220
Awesome pics SK!

Makes me wish I'd shopped around for the silver version (just to match my Arietta), but they offered me a pretty good price for the black and I couldn't resist.

I've had close to 40hrs on mine and it's already sounding better then any DAC I've heard.

Positives;
- the detail is amazing
- bass is more present and articulate- I can actually tell what it's doing behind all those guitars and drums without overpowering the mids
- voices have their own space and reverb trails
- I finally understand why classical music sounds so good on high-end phones (feels like I'm there).

Negatives for me;
- minimum volume through my Arietta and my active studio monitors is pretty loud
- problems switching from cd to DAC mode
- can't use as a DAC with a cd in the drive
- only one pair of rca analog outs which means I have to manually disconnect and connect the cables from my amp to my studio monitors.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #62 of 220
Nope...that's not a X-CAN V2...that's a balanced Mini^3. I am using the enclosure for balanced Mini^3. The X-CAN V2 boards got fried after too many upgrades
frown.gif

I can't wait to listen to your review loaned Green Solo
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SK I see you still have an X-Can V2!
biggrin.gif
I do not think I could sell mine it is such an involving amp, gets my foot tapping all the time. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the Green Solo and how it compares or not w/ your other amps.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #63 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjapixie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Turns out I was pressing the wrong button to try and switch modes so the two points above are no longer problems.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #64 of 220
I agree with you 100%. 840C is just awesome equipment. It uses the same AD1955 DAC chips as in Esoteric D03
wink.gif

I have about 100 hours on it so far and the sound just gets better and better.

Quote:

Awesome pics SK!

Makes me wish I'd shopped around for the silver version (just to match my Arietta), but they offered me a pretty good price for the black and I couldn't resist.

I've had close to 40hrs on mine and it's already sounding better then any DAC I've heard.

Positives;
- the detail is amazing
- bass is more present and articulate- I can actually tell what it's doing behind all those guitars and drums without overpowering the mids
- voices have their own space and reverb trails
- I finally understand why classical music sounds so good on high-end phones (feels like I'm there).

Negatives for me;
- minimum volume through my Arietta and my active studio monitors is pretty loud
- only one pair of rca analog outs which means I have to manually disconnect and connect the cables from my amp to my studio monitors.

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #65 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you 100%. 840C is just awesome equipment. It uses the same AD1955 DAC chips as in Esoteric D03
wink.gif

Gee yours is still getting better? I haven't really noticed much improvement after 20hrs. I suspect my little Arietta is holding me back.

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #66 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Have anyone compared this piece of equipment with DAC-1? Right now I seriously considering buying myself a new transport(CEC TL51X). If 840c i sonically equal or superior, I might save myself the trouble of transport and sell my DAC-1
cool.gif

Can't seem to find a place to audition or buy CA products in Taiwan
mad.gif
, So I might have to bother my friend to send it from the statesXD

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #67 of 220
I never head DAC-1 but if it's detailed as I been reading, I think 840C is right up there. My motive was to buy a unified system that can function as transport and DAC.

Since it's getting really popular, it's hard to get one. Many vendors said they can't get it stocked until late November. Silver model was very hard to find...I got luck
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by churayed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have anyone compared this piece of equipment with DAC-1? Right now I seriously considering buying myself a new transport(CEC TL51X). If 840c i sonically equal or superior, I might save myself the trouble of transport and sell my DAC-1
cool.gif

mad.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #68 of 220
I find it interesting that the 840C is selling so well... this may indicate some kind of revival of the low-mid end of the hifi market. Manufacturers, take note!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #69 of 220
Quote:

cool.gif

mad.gif

I wondering also how it fared against the DA100; a one-box solution would be better and I am looking for a CDP upgrade anyway.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #70 of 220
I'd love to hear a comparison with the DAC-1. I haven't heard the DAC-1, but I think if you don't already have an amp the DAC-1 is a no-brainer really. The 840c has no headphone out so you need an amp. The DAC-1 also retails for considerably less then the 840c (A$1700 vs A$2200), though you can find the 840c for less then the DAC-1 retail price.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #71 of 220
The dac1 doesn't have a transport tho, and the dac1 is a bit sterile sounding. Lots of options in that price range for dacs, not so many for cd players with digital in.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #72 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dac1 doesn't have a transport tho, and the dac1 is a bit sterile sounding. Lots of options in that price range for dacs, not so many for cd players with digital in.

Wouldn't you be able to use any cd player with a digital out to the DAC-1?

What do you mean by sterile sounding? I've read the Cambridge players are sterile sounding too, and if they are sterile sounding, they match really well with my warmish senns.

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #73 of 220
Quote:

I'd love to hear a comparison with the DAC-1. I haven't heard the DAC-1, but I think if you don't already have an amp the DAC-1 is a no-brainer really. The 840c has no headphone out so you need an amp. The DAC-1 also retails for considerably less then the 840c (A$1700 vs A$2200), though you can find the 840c for less then the DAC-1 retail price.

I do have a tube amp for my RS-1....but I enjoy the DAC-1's amp from time to time. Where exactly can you find a 840c for less then DAC-1? I bought my DAC-1 on audio advisor for $975
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #74 of 220
Quote:

I do have a tube amp for my RS-1....but I enjoy the DAC-1's amp from time to time. Where exactly can you find a 840c for less then DAC-1? I bought my DAC-1 on audio advisor for $975
tongue.gif

I'm in Australia mate. The DAC-1 retails for around $1700 here (I'm sure you can haggle the price down). The 840c retails for $2200 but can be had for under $1700. I was actually after a Marantz player when I walked into the store, but the chance to walk out of the store with an 840c at a good price was too much to resist.

I must say my 580's really have scaled well with the 840c, and have put a considerable gap between them and my low-end studio monitors which improved just a little running out of the 840c.

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #75 of 220
Quote:

The 840c retails for $2200 but can be had for under $1700. I was actually after a Marantz player when I walked into the store, but the chance to walk out of the store with an 840c at a good price was too much to resist.

Oh, out of curiosity what store did you buy them from? That price tag seems attractive :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back