Calm/Laid back DAC recomendations
Oct 18, 2023 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AlexyN7

New Head-Fier
Hello!
i am looking for a DAC that will complete my PC audio setup.
My gear is:
- Hifiman Edition X v1 (headphones)
- Singxer SA-1/Violectric V202 (AMP)
- Supra USB Cable
- PC as a source
I am asking for help/recommendation to find a DAC that will:
- be anti-sibilant, i am very "s" sensitive
- scoop/tame upper mids/lower treble, i really don't like shouty sound
- make vocals distant/pushed back, not intimate
- sound mellow, calm, boring and soft, not dynamic/energetic

I know that this is an unusual preference of sound. I do listen to music while working and such background/chill/ambient signature is what i am looking for ☺
If you are familiar with a DAC, that somehow suites my description i would be very grateful. My budget is about 700$ it can be less than that, i am not chasing absolutley best detail retrieval. I can also stretch quite a bit if there is a golden solution that costs more.
Thanks and have a nice day! 👍

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for recomendations, they look very promising. I am from Poland and unfortunately can not find any of these in stores. I would really like to test the gear before buying. During my research i have found the dac thats suits my preferences and is available, but is well above my budget: SMSL VMV D3 (R2R). Maby there is some cheaper DAC that is similar to D3 in character?

Oct 22, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 20
A new set of headphones that most fit the sound that you require would be a better option than a dac which won't change the sound of your current set up so drastically

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 20
Thansks, that is a good point. I will sell my Hifiman edition X and try Meze 109 pro. I've been also thinking about Harmonicdyne G200 but i suspect that i just have a problem with Planar headphones sounding "hard". I found that even Meze Empyreans had that character in midrange.
I use my headphones while working, so i'll keep looking for such a DAC. I have got my eye on Musician Audio Draco, but some say it has "raw" sound. I've contacted the distributor in my country, and asked about signal delay. Denafrips Ares II has 100ms over usb which makes it not suitable for gaming/video watching. They will check the delay and give me the answer, i will share that info.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 20
Thansks, that is a good point. I will sell my Hifiman edition X and try Meze 109 pro. I've been also thinking about Harmonicdyne G200 but i suspect that i just have a problem with Planar headphones sounding "hard". I found that even Meze Empyreans had that character in midrange.
I use my headphones while working, so i'll keep looking for such a DAC. I have got my eye on Musician Audio Draco, but some say it has "raw" sound. I've contacted the distributor in my country, and asked about signal delay. Denafrips Ares II has 100ms over usb which makes it not suitable for gaming/video watching. They will check the delay and give me the answer, i will share that info.
I haven't heard the HiFiMAN X, but I have heard Ananda, Aria and now own the HEKS. While auditioning all of these I also heard the Meze 109 Pro, in direct comparison to Ananda, HEKS and Focal Clear. The 109's are nice headphones, but basen on what you have described as your preference in sound, I'm not sure if these will fit your taste. At least buy them with the option to return them.
To me, they were more aggressive in the upper midrange and treble, than any of the others.

If you otherwise like your setup, have you dabbled with EQ to get the tonality you want?

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 20
Hello!
i am looking for a DAC that will complete my PC audio setup.
My gear is:
- Hifiman Edition X v1 (headphones)
- Singxer SA-1/Violectric V202 (AMP)
- Supra USB Cable
- PC as a source
I am asking for help/recommendation to find a DAC that will:
- be anti-sibilant, i am very "s" sensitive
- scoop/tame upper mids/lower treble, i really don't like shouty sound
- make vocals distant/pushed back, not intimate
- sound mellow, calm, boring and soft, not dynamic/energetic

I know that this is an unusual preference of sound. I do listen to music while working and such background/chill/ambient signature is what i am looking for ☺
If you are familiar with a DAC, that somehow suites my description i would be very grateful. My budget is about 700$ it can be less than that, i am not chasing absolutley best detail retrieval. I can also stretch quite a bit if there is a golden solution that costs more.
Thanks and have a nice day! 👍
Maybe to buy HD650 is a good option? I don't think that any DAC can make these sound harsh. They are super smooth

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 20
I haven't heard the HiFiMAN X, but I have heard Ananda, Aria and now own the HEKS. While auditioning all of these I also heard the Meze 109 Pro, in direct comparison to Ananda, HEKS and Focal Clear. The 109's are nice headphones, but basen on what you have described as your preference in sound, I'm not sure if these will fit your taste. At least buy them with the option to return them.
To me, they were more aggressive in the upper midrange and treble, than any of the others.

If you otherwise like your setup, have you dabbled with EQ to get the tonality you want?
Thanks, i'll propably pass on 109 pro then.
Yes i do EQ, right now, i am using my old trusty Sennheiser HD599 with EQ to calm them down a bit.
Maybe to buy HD650 is a good option? I don't think that any DAC can make these sound harsh. They are super smooth
I tried HD 650 indeed they are smooth. My problem is that not only i can not stand harshness and sibilance, but also i am senaitive to shouty/intimate vocals and HD 650 are a bit shouty and "in my head.

Damn i just hate that my ears are so sensitive. But maby the solution is to find right headphones.
Do you know/can recommend headphones that have sound profile that suits what i described for DAC?

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 20
Yes i do EQ, right now, i am using my old trusty Sennheiser HD599 with EQ to calm them down a bit.
I think you should at least give the 109 a listen, if possible, before committing to a purchase. Or buy them from a place with a good return policy.
Can't you EQ the HiFiMAN X to sound like you want them to?

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 20
I think you should at least give the 109 a listen, if possible, before committing to a purchase. Or buy them from a place with a good return policy.
Can't you EQ the HiFiMAN X to sound like you want them to?
I'll look for a chance to test 109 Pro. I did try to EQ them, but there is something strange, maybe it's clamping force, it is a bit too much, i get very direct sound. Soundstage is wide and tall, but something is very fatiguing for me, there is some kind of tension when i am listening to vocals, though in electronic and classical music they are awesome.

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 20

I tried HD 650 indeed they are smooth. My problem is that not only i can not stand harshness and sibilance, but also i am senaitive to shouty/intimate vocals and HD 650 are a bit shouty and "in my head.

Damn i just hate that my ears are so sensitive. But maby the solution is to find right headphones.
Do you know/can recommend headphones that have sound profile that suits what i described for DAC?
Unfortunately I don't have so much experience with headphones. I think I'm in the same situation as you. My ears are also very sensitive. There are many headphones that I find super fun and engaging like HD58X and K731 but I had to sold them because thea were fatiguing for me. The only headphones that were fatigue free for me are HD650 and NAD Viso HP50. And the old HD598. They were super smooth.

Right now I'm also searching for a smooth headphones but engaging.

I'll try HD660S2 next.

If someone has an other suggestion I would like to hear it.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 20

Hard sound is a component or headphone cable/interconnect synergy and not necessarily a DAC issue. Why not play with a 2x slow roll-off minimum phase filter on software level first before you decide splurging on a DAC?

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 20
If you're open to used headphones, see if you can find a pair of drop TR-X00. They were sold here in EU for a while so you might get lucky.

This is a fast, enjoyable headphone with good techncials yet scooped-out mids and no stridency (no ssssssssss)

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 20
Hard sound is a component or headphone cable/interconnect synergy and not necessarily a DAC issue. Why not play with a 2x slow roll-off minimum phase filter on software level first before you decide splurging on a DAC?
Thanks for advice, but right now i have no DAC at all, my PC's sound card is the source and i would really like to buy a DAC, not necessarily spending maximum of my budget.
If you're open to used headphones, see if you can find a pair of drop TR-X00. They were sold here in EU for a while so you might get lucky.

This is a fast, enjoyable headphone with good techncials yet scooped-out mids and no stridency (no ssssssssss)
I'll keep that one in mind, but i am hoping to find open back pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back