Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Aug 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #977 of 1,332
It was between that and an M5, and after a thrilling test drive, my wife put the kebash on the M. To be fair, it had like a 45lb clutch, exhausting in the local traffic. Um, er, the M5 had the better sound system by a little, but it had an already outmoded touch screen interface, and you couldn't hear it over the car. The 330i ZHP had the premium HK sound as well, but fewer speakers and easier to hear.
Both sound better than my current BMW convertible, since you can't hear jack over the wind and these cars have roofs. 
There. Tied it in. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #978 of 1,332
Hi all, got tired of my old KEF speakers being unstable on the stands I had, and decided to make some home made outriggers.  Here are some pictures.  The picture below shows them shortly after assembly.  I found the metal brackets in the trash, cleaned them up, painted them, and mounted them to two hunks of oak cut to the size of my speakers.  Also put a brace on the underside to prevent bowing and cut two holes in the middle to allow them to be thumscrewed into the speaker base.

Here you see the underside of the speaker with threaded inserts added to allow the thumbscrews to be attached.

Here is one with the heavy duty spikes added.  This essentially anchors the speakers to the wood floor.

Here is the speaker attached and ready to go....

I noticed an immediate improvement in base definition and overall clarity due to lack of vibration.  Even my wife commented that it sounded better.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #979 of 1,332
Question...I recently, yesterday, picked up a nice pair of Large Advents...the newer ones. Will the Pioneer sx-1280 be a good match. I usually listen at about 10:00 on the pot. 

thanks...

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #980 of 1,332
The nice thing about those pioneers is that they have a fairly flat response, which means you're hearing more of the speaker's signature. If you like how the speaker's generally from any neutral receiver, then you'll like how they sound.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #983 of 1,332
Nice, Rik! Is that a POA-1500?

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #985 of 1,332
Quote:
Nice, Rik! Is that a POA-1500?

Yes Rob, with a PRA 1000 pre. I'm not sure the preamp can match the one that I already had, so there's some swapping to do.
The guy I bought it from had a beautiful black Akai system, all with wooden panels in perfect shape. Didn't know they made that kind of quality stuff..Looked very very nice.

I think I will start looking for a DCD-1800 to match the set.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #987 of 1,332
Aug 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #989 of 1,332
Those Cornwalls are pretty massive, but also that's my brother Scott and he's short. No more than 5'6".

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #990 of 1,332
I'm 6'1" 300lbs and my cornwalls make me look pretty small lol. The funny thing is, they take up less space in the room than any floor standing speakers I've owned because they sit up right against the wall. That's one thing I really love bout them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back