Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Aug 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,006 of 1,332
WOW just WOW! somewhere btwn 12pm noon to 5pm, the sound of the NS1k just "opened" up! left it running & went out & just came home a few mins ago & i coulda swear these are not the same as before i left the house!

similiar (albeit via seat of pants dbmeter) volume only takes 1/3 less travel on volume knob. bottom filled out & highs got smoother! how the "ell did this happen?? these are amost 40yr old speaker fer gads sake! maybe the previous owner hasnt run it for a while & it takes a coupla days to "loosen" up the drivers?? whatever, it sounds amazing now! ive also moved it to approx 8" from the wall which augments the bass response even more. i dont need no subs now!

to be absolutely honest, i was never a Yamaha speaker fan but only got these NS1k in part for its iconic status, its collectability, my curiousity, it was a local pickup & cos i didnt have to pay the crazy ebay prices. from research, i was expecting some quick extended mids/highs but possibly harsh highs & less than optimum or even non existent bass. on 1st 10mins listening, i gotta admit my expectations wasnt too far off - better than i read but no where close to its rep as one of the best speakers for its time. more listening revealed more of its good qualities - lightning quick mids&highs that launches micro details out at me, good but not outstanding soundstage, better bass but still considered less than adequate esp for its 12" woofers (which was why i hooked up the sunfire sub for some added body).

5hrs of continous playing later, my NS1k is now a beast! all the +ve's minus the -ve's thats was apparent even this morning! clean, clear, articulate, detailed, fulled bodied, slamming bass (though not as deep as i can hear on the HD800) & now added mid sweetness & smoother highs. the differences are now in the amplification.

driven by the 150w@8ohm LSA/DK Design VS.1 MkIII integrated, the NS1k are very detailed, big sounding, wide stage, tight bass but very upfront in yourself ala grados. on the Audio Space 300b 21w@8ohm P/P, everything is softer, mellower (if thats possible with NS1ks) more organic with less in your face mids ala son of HD650/T1 hybrid. all still on shack wires.

just got a call from a speaker repair/refinisher from an inquiry i made yesterday about options on

1.refinishing the cabinet in original black
2.refinish in exotic burled wood of some sort (am thinking birds eye veneer)
3.recapping Xover & new 5way binding posts instead the cheesy spring clippers

im thinking i will be into these NS1ks about $1k (or slightly more depending on parts as the yamis cost me $650) when alls said & done but these are keepers boys & gals! they sound amazing & im thinking will kick anything for the money i spent & how often can a person get to own a "legend" which lives up to its rep!

sorry steve (eddy), them incoming CS99a's will have to be incredible to beat the legend.

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,007 of 1,332
Nice, Scottie! Personally I think the NS1000 just scream for some exotic burl wood :D

There is a guy in Japan who sells exotically finished NS1000s on eBay...for $5K+ a pair...

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,008 of 1,332
hey Rob, u gotta start looking for a pair of these thangs! i didnt steer u wrong on the Pioneer monsta receivers did it? so....just saying u mite wanna pull out the check book on a pair of NS1k. they are good GREAT! i swear! lols

just checked ebay on them redone NS1ks....holyyyyy shytessss batman! dude wants $6.6k + $1k shipping = $7.7k!!!! What??? 

hmmm in that case, i mites well spend the money on refinishing recapping rewiring replacing binding posts. if buddy in japan can ask $7k, i can easily ask 1/2 that!!! hahahaha

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,009 of 1,332
No doubt! I have looked for a pair of those locally for quite some time but not seen one yet. I'm pretty smitten with my Pioneer DSS-9 speakers but I would still jump on some NS1k if I could get the bargain you did!!!

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,010 of 1,332
just did a google on them pioneer dss9's u have & its very highly thought off. seems like an improved hpm100! nice.....! pretty rare as well. did u sell the big B&W nautilus ?

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,011 of 1,332
@Scotti,

I always love to read your post, man Stereophile should hire you as a reviewer or something!!!

I am glad that your n1km "opens up", I have a 2-way Yamaha NS-4 which is precedent of NS-10, it didn't roll off until 40hz or something. So I don't believe your N1km rolls off around 50hz. There is one pair NS-1k floating around local for $700, but I think Monitor version should be better than consumer version. And I am not in mood to pursue another pair of speakers since I have another legendary speakers KEF 105.
beyersmile.png
And I bet my KEF will eat your Yammy for breakfast.
wink_face.gif

By the way, your Sunfire sub looks badass, could you recommend some Sub-woofer here. I might consider buying one to pair my beloved Celestion 100. Haha, I am really digging British sound.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,012 of 1,332
just did a google on them pioneer dss9's u have & its very highly thought off. seems like an improved hpm100! nice.....! pretty rare as well. did u sell the big B&W nautilus ?

Nah, two separate stereos...one mostly vintage Pioneer and one mosly modern stuff, including the big B&Ws. And actually I've got a third in the basement again now! I'm lucky both that my house lends itself well to that, and my wife is quite nice about it...as long as stuff is neat and clean, and everything I have is actually in use, she's cool with it.

The DSS-9's are definitely a big step up from the HPM-100. I like the 100's, but the DSS-9 are really special.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,013 of 1,332
Quote:
@Scotti,

I always love to read your post, man Stereophile should hire you as a reviewer or something!!!

I am glad that your n1km "opens up", I have a 2-way Yamaha NS-4 which is precedent of NS-10, it didn't roll off until 40hz or something. So I don't believe your N1km rolls off around 50hz. There is one pair NS-1k floating around local for $700, but I think Monitor version should be better than consumer version. And I am not in mood to pursue another pair of speakers since I have another legendary speakers KEF 105.
beyersmile.png
And I bet my KEF will eat your Yammy for breakfast.
wink_face.gif

By the way, your Sunfire sub looks badass, could you recommend some Sub-woofer here. I might consider buying one to pair my beloved Celestion 100. Haha, I am really digging British sound.

gosh...Meewoo, u have me speechless! lols. thxs for the nice thoughts but im no way no how close to being as articulate as guys like Skylab who can hear & describe minute differences & nuances. indeed i feel i have wooden ear & its on the shoulders of others (&ofcos google is an intimate friend as well) that i can enjoy this journey of musical discovery.

that Kef 105 of yours is a beast indeed. im sure it would be fun doing a comparo with that, the NS1k & perhaps Skylabs Pioneer DSS9 although i gotta say to my ears, the NS1k is as far from the "british" sound as i think it can get. 

to be honest, i know bubkas about subs. i just happen to chance upon the Sunfires in the local buysell & after doing some googling & more bargaining, decided to pull the trigger on it. i like it as it seems to not impose a signature on the music but instead deceptively add body (& rumble ...lots lotsa rumble!) when i feel the need. regardless google's your best friend & i'd put my money in DA GOOD STUFF. 

Quote:
Nah, two separate stereos...one mostly vintage Pioneer and one mosly modern stuff, including the big B&Ws. And actually I've got a third in the basement again now! I'm lucky both that my house lends itself well to that, and my wife is quite nice about it...as long as stuff is neat and clean, and everything I have is actually in use, she's cool with it.

The DSS-9's are definitely a big step up from the HPM-100. I like the 100's, but the DSS-9 are really special.

thxs for the tip Rob - am gonna keep my eyes wide opened for a pair of em DSS9. unlike the NS1k, they seem a sleeper so i mite be able to snag em if they ever show up locally. 

meanwhile these Yamis are so good that i think they better my set of Eminent Technology LFT18b's hybrid plannar which i mite add, is no slouch as they designed by Bruce Thigpen - the inventor of the worlds best subwoofer (hint hint...Meewoo :) ). i find the yamis more alive & i love how micro details are literally flying at u.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #1,015 of 1,332
hey PhoenixG, im not getting what u meant by "cold solder on crossovers" - can u rephrase? regardless i do agree that recapping is usually a good thing although ive been doing more research on recapping my NS1k. it would seem that these speakers have a more complicated X-overs than usual eg. theres 6caps in parallel for the low bass filter! all together, theres like 9 caps in total for just 1 speaker!!! What???

also, theres this opinion of some at AK that the NS1k has "self healing" caps & to replace them is a waste of time & money - kinda like dont fix if it aint broke. will def look into this alot more. meanwhile ive just ordered replacement 5way binding posts with a bracket that is specifically for the NS1k. should then be able to hook some "pythons"! 
size]

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #1,016 of 1,332
A cold solder could influence the sound the way you experienced. It is basically a cracked solder joint somewhere in your crossovers. It tends to happen when components cycle through high heat cycles. It might have reheated and resealed, thus improving your sound, but it is likely to re-crack unless you find and replace it. It would look like concentric circles around a solder joint on a component.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,017 of 1,332
i see. thxs for the heads up, never thought of cold solder reconnecting but it does sound logical - will definitely check out the Xover carefully when i get the chance. 

on the subject of sound, something happen that i never thought was possible. my T1/HD800 combo is renowned in these parts for its clarity & transparency. well after a coupla days of intensive joy listening to the NS1k, i decided to put on HD800 late last night....lo & behold, it sounds off like.... veiled! listened for a bit & then hooked up the T1 & it still seems veiled! dont get me wrong as all the details & the usual goodstuff are still there but there seems to be a covering over clarity & transparency. 

it then hit me how clear & transparent the NS1ks are!!! its no mean feat to do that to the "dynamic duo"!!!!!! sound is so dynamic & transients are so quick  ... courtesy of the beryllium mids & treble drivers.

me thinks the chink in the NS1ks armor is its soundstage. width is good but nothing spectacular & aft depth is its big weakness. that said, it does throw a very forward & exciting live sound that gives a great up-on-stage-concert effect. these are really good speakers. i cant stop listening to them 
size]

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,018 of 1,332
Hey, it's Yamaha NS, Natural Sound.
And they are monitor (near field) speakers, never heard near field speakers have sound-stage depth. They are required to be pin-point accurate, and on-stage sound image. If you want front row (second row) sound image, may I suggest one pair of Allison speakers, or those bipole speakers like your country product Mirage?
wink_face.gif

Man, I really hope I can snap one Classe amps cheaply.(I know I'm daydreaming, but I keep hunting). Canadian really put some fine audio products like British!! Hey, but you can't have Stanley Cup!!!
beyersmile.png

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,019 of 1,332
i forgot the NS1k is a studio monitor & hence u are correct in that its not designed for the greatest of soundstage effects. its just that im so used to the bipolar Eminent Tech LFT18b which is great in soundstage width & depth with pin point imaging. however they very smooth laid back speakers (ie British sound) rather than the west coast "in your face" sound of the NS1k. 

the bass of the NS1k kinda reminds me of the HD800 in that its more quick rather than full. im hoping the incoming Pioneer CS99a will complement it when i just wanna rock out to pop & dance.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,020 of 1,332
Quote:
i forgot the NS1k is a studio monitor & hence u are correct in that its not designed for the greatest of soundstage effects. its just that im so used to the bipolar Eminent Tech LFT18b which is great in soundstage width & depth with pin point imaging. however they very smooth laid back speakers (ie British sound) rather than the west coast "in your face" sound of the NS1k. 

the bass of the NS1k kinda reminds me of the HD800 in that its more quick rather than full. im hoping the incoming Pioneer CS99a will complement it when i just wanna rock out to pop & dance.

Not sure about pop and dance but you can definitely rock out to some rock.  
size]
 The 99a's are some of the best out there for rock. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back