Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Aug 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #1,022 of 1,332
oppps my bad! yaa bud u are right - its the LFT 8b with the upgraded tweeters not reviewed by Stereophile. while not the greatest in bass or extension, the LFT8b does throw an awesome soundstage that (given the right placement &or room treatment) can turn your room into a music hall. its great for small ensemble jazz/vocal IMO. however i do find it lacks that extra pizazzz that i personally like in the I'm there "live" action.

otoh, the NS1k is all about being THERE! in front of u up on stage! Scottie likes!

ps:check out the TRW-17 Subwoofer! its very unique & by most accounts also the best subwoofer period!

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,023 of 1,332
hey guys, anyone here with experience on NHT 3.3 speakers? these are only 20yrs old so may not be vintage but theres a pair of these available locally with some small front of cabinet chip at the bottom (supposedly common when these 125lbs@ behemoths are moved). my research reads these full range & are the very best NHT has produced.  if im not wrong, they are also Stereophile Class A recommended if that means anything.

buddys asking $1200 with all original packaging & stands. would be great if anyone can chip in with opinions on sonics, price &or anyother interesting (even if not so useful) info & tips. if these are as good as i read, then i'd probably sell everything else (except the NS1k for they are very special even if they are less stellar in some areas) & live happily.....hopefully!!! 

chime in guys 
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #1,024 of 1,332
So on Sunday I decided to open up the Cornies and install my new Crites crossovers and tweeters.  The crossovers are Type B and the tweeter horns are model CT-125.

i also replaced the rubber gasket between the mid and horn.

All in all quite easy mod and so far the results are impressive.  Bass has really benefited the most as it is definitely faster and much more punchy rather than boomy.  The highs are less shouty with the new horns.  Ive only listened for a couple of hours so i need more time for a true imlression.

Also, after looking at some photos online of the original B crossovers i believe mine had been recapped sometime in the past.

Anyway here are some pics of the job.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,025 of 1,332
@Scottie,
I bet few people will chime in for NHT 3.3, and I bet not many people even heard the brand name NHT.
wink_face.gif

Did you check online review, most people say NHT requires musical amps, haha, I know Classe is very musical amp.

@Bce22,
Congrats, many people prefer Crites upgrade. I am just wondering why Klipsch didn't change the design for so many years, Klipsch may prefer their design than Bob Crites. How did you compare your four amps with Cornwall?

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,026 of 1,332
Quote:
@Scottie,
I bet few people will chime in for NHT 3.3, and I bet not many people even heard the brand name NHT.
wink_face.gif

Did you check online review, most people say NHT requires musical amps, haha, I know Classe is very musical amp.

@Bce22,
Congrats, many people prefer Crites upgrade. I am just wondering why Klipsch didn't change the design for so many years, Klipsch may prefer their design than Bob Crites. How did you compare your four amps with Cornwall?

Thanks MeeWoo,

To be honest I've acquired and changed too much, too quickly to give an honest subjective opinion of my amps with cornwalls.  Prior to the Crite upgrades i would say the Realistic was rhe most solid state sounding.  It's FAST, powerful and forward.  It was very accurate and sounded fantastic with well recorded jazz and acoustic.  Sounded shouty with Rock.  Was great with hip hop like Kanye.  I would say it was lacking in soundstage (which i am kind of a soundstage whore).

The Luxman really warmed up those cornwalls!  The R-1120 is also so well balanced with them.  All music sounds great even classic rock/prog rock which has a tebdancy to sound bright.  Imaging is great but i found the soundstage to be even smaller than the realistic.  I cant compare it to the 70's Marantz but i would defi tely call the Luxman sweet!  if i could cboose only one word it would be sweet, if i could choose a second it would be versatile.

I only listened to the au-517 after the crites mods.  im not ready to say anything until i can compare them all again.

The scott i refuse to hook up until it has been restored by Craig at NOS Valves, so maybe a month or so.  Stay tuned.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,027 of 1,332
lols yaa Meewoo, it would seem so! yes ive been doing alot of googling & reading on it & its a BEAST for sure. most of the reviews says its incredibly accurate, transparent, super revealing with BIG BIG DEEP DEEP BASS. though awkward in its form, placement seems much less critical as these NHTs are meant to be right up against the back wall without toe in as the front panel is angled. im just concerned that my room isnt big enough for these monstas. O & the 3.3 goes 120db without breaking a sweat (or distortion)!!!

anyways i emailed the owner of the NHT 3.3 & he says i can have it for $1k for a local pickup. have to plan the trip even if i want it as the freakin things weigh like 130lbs@ & its in his basement so lots of sweat & grunt for sure/

as for powering it, im using this

with this power supply

though its only rated at 150W@8ohm, it also spec'd at 800W@1.5ohm!! its the most authoritative yet musical amp ive owned. it tames even the notoriously ruthless revealing NS1k  to make it sound sweet smooth & musical with a solid bottom. nevertheless, most likely, im gonna drop by the sellers house this sunday for a audition & all 80lbs of amp is tagging along to see how it powers the 3.3s. hope it works out so i can have my end game full size rig all done. i believe im also done with headfi with the HD800/T1 powered by the Audio Space 300b amp.....atleast until the "itch" starts again! lols

btw for the curious, NHT = Now Hear This!!!

ps:the crites crossover looks sick!!! love it. i was looking for a pair of Klipsch Heritages but its now redundant with the arrival of the NS1k which i think is a better Klipsch than a Klipsch! believe or not, i got the Audio Space amp specifically in anticipation of the Klipsches but it turned out to be a great headamp as well so im keeping it. bet the cornwalls will sound great with the HH Scott!

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,028 of 1,332
Quote:

The Luxman really warmed up those cornwalls!  The R-1120 is also so well balanced with them.  All music sounds great even classic rock/prog rock which has a tebdancy to sound bright.  Imaging is great but i found the soundstage to be even smaller than the realistic.  I cant compare it to the 70's Marantz but i would defi tely call the Luxman sweet!  if i could cboose only one word it would be sweet, if i could choose a second it would be versatile.

I only listened to the au-517 after the crites mods.  im not ready to say anything until i can compare them all again.

The scott i refuse to hook up until it has been restored by Craig at NOS Valves, so maybe a month or so.  Stay tuned.

Yes, your realistic might be OEMed by Pioneer. It should have wider stage than Luxman.
To be honest, I find that Luxman soundstage is narrowest in all vintage stuff I've heard. But man, Luxman has the best depth in all vintage stuff. Like I said to you, Luxman's image is a bend picture, lost 2-d width, but put out 3-d depth. That can be heard easily from old Jazz or classic records. When I said old record, I mean when they put a microphone stander before a Saxophone, not clipped on the horn of Saxophone. You can hear Saxophone player swings in Luxman, but not in other stuff. In modern recordings, Luxman may suffer since there's no depth in most of them. Yes, Luxman also very forgiving, it rounds digital rough.BTW, I sold marantz 240 and 2325 too, I only keep 1070 for brand variety. Marantz is not my cup tea.
Hope you find your sound soon!!

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,029 of 1,332
Scottie, thanks for the kind words.

Those NHTs sound awesome even if they're not 25 years old.  Did your current modern amp and psu really cost upward of 10k? It does look super sweet but assuredly that is a ton of greenbacks, certainly not for the common man.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,030 of 1,332
Quote:

anyways i emailed the owner of the NHT 3.3 & he says i can have it for $1k for a local pickup. have to plan the trip even if i want it as the freakin things weigh like 130lbs@ & its in his basement so lots of sweat & grunt for sure/

as for powering it, im using this

with this power supply

though its only rated at 150W@8ohm, it also spec'd at 800W@1.5ohm!! its the most authoritative yet musical amp ive owned. it tames even the notoriously ruthless revealing NS1k  to make it sound sweet smooth & musical with a solid bottom. nevertheless, most likely, im gonna drop by the sellers house this sunday for a audition & all 80lbs of amp is tagging along to see how it powers the 3.3s. hope it works out so i can have my end game full size rig all done. i believe im also done with headfi with the HD800/T1 powered by the Audio Space 300b amp.....atleast until the "itch" starts again! lols

That's the spirit!!! And hope your back is fine when you come back!!!
wink_face.gif

From what I've read, it sounds like your Yammy, so I bet you will like it. Hoho, you planned to have Klipsch heritage? I just sold my Cornwall and try to sell Forte 2. I also flipped one pair heresy and heresy 2. I just don't like recess mid of Klipsch.
This amp is badass, is it mosfet?

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #1,031 of 1,332
naaah i didnt have to spend that much money. its all about buying "pre-owned" & snagging it when the right deal comes along! the missus would have had my left nut if i spent $10k on an amp!!! wait....she does have both nuts anyways!!! hahahaha. eg. this NHT 3.3 sold for >$4k back in the early nineties but now i can pick it up for $1k or maybe even less! 

anyways i dont have much vices except coming home to sweet sounds of good tunes. life is goood!
size]

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,032 of 1,332
hahaha yaa Meewoo my back will be fine cos i'll be using a portable foldable hand truck/dolly. Scottie aint no fool to carry no 80lbs worth of amp!!!!! 

the DK Design VS.1 mk3 Signature (phew...quite a mouthful) is a hybrid integrated amp with dual mono power supplies. its uses a pair of 6922 (am using NOS Siemens) in the preamp section & Solen Bipolar output devices so im guessing its bipolar output transistors.

no more plans to get a pair of Klipsches as my NS1k sounds awesome. no lack of mids with them beryllium mid drivers!!!

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,033 of 1,332
Quote:
naaah i didnt have to spend that much money. its all about buying "pre-owned" & snagging it when the right deal comes along! the missus would have had my left nut if i spent $10k on an amp!!! wait....she does have both nuts anyways!!! hahahaha. eg. this NHT 3.3 sold for >$4k back in the early nineties but now i can pick it up for $1k or maybe even less! 

anyways i dont have much vices except coming home to sweet sounds of good tunes. life is goood!
size]

LOL, I figured you scored on those LSAs.  I'd love to hear them with your Yammies and can't wait for your NHT impressions (if you get them).

In regards to recessed mids on heritage Klipsch,that is the one thing i don't find my Cornwalls to have.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,034 of 1,332
Quote:

In regards to recessed mids on heritage Klipsch,that is the one thing i don't find my Cornwalls to have.

Haha, you caught me generalizing things!
I would say Cornwall is still a little bit mid recess, the gents who bought mine said he would use tone control a little. Sorry, mate, I am "British sound" digger, so they may spoil my MF-hungery.
wink_face.gif

BTW, I found many rappers put good mastering albums, Kanye is one, 50 cents is another, early Eminem. And some supposed to be sound artist has so bad recording, yes, I am talking to you Adele. Her 21 is just so bad, I always thought her recording should be very good. So when I listen to them in my Sony x-1051, I thought my MP3 format is bad. One day, I put her 2 albums in CD changer and listened them. Holy ****t, 21 is so bad, stitched sound and off balanced sound stage. Since I couldn't bear it, I googled online, gees, many people complaint about it. So this is an example how modern mastering ******** things up. End of rant.

@Scottie, educate me with those questions,
Is open-buffer speakers one of dipolar design?? I think it is, it's just a dynamic dipolar speakers. Why the ****** they put so many name on one thing.

Another one: Do the speakers in concert influence people's taste??
I think this is one big questions, welcome everyone to chime in!!
I raise this question since many review would describe speakers vivid, live, accurate etc. Did they compare the sound to the recording gears or live concert gears? suppose there are a band B, a review R, one pair reference speaker A (B's album was finished with A), another speakers C (which was reviewed by R). So how could R say C is accurate, live, vivid etc? I know flat response etc, but they are not everything. If a rock band always put JBL speakers in their concert, could any reviewers find dark speakers vivd, live, accurate playing this band live album?? Haha, I find many old R'nR people like JBL speakers.
BTW, I am not musician or audio major. so please forgive my ignorance or idiocy!!!

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,035 of 1,332
Meewoo im far from being any authority on speaker design or speaker physics. as far as i understand it, dipole or bipolar = sound emanates from both front & rear with by using dual opposite facing drivers (usually tweeters as hf sounds are very directional). the point im guessing to use the rear walls to reflect sound slight out of phase thereby increasing the illusion of a deep(er) soundstage.

open baffle design = front facing driver with an open back much like open headphones which are by default baffleless. again im no expert & im sure others can elaborate on the physics of sound & enclosures but im guessing open baffle (like open headphones) creates a bigger illusion of space or soundstage again by out of phase sound reflection via the negative throw of the drivers. 

just different designs to achieve similar ends which is why speaker set up is soo important to getting the perfect sound. indeed IMO the true game changer is room treatment which literally turn average speakers into good speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back